Check Engine Lights

Eagleye

Tinkerer
So now that the car is sort of running I have three issues:

A/F gauge says I am running very lean.

2 CELs:
Turbo Wastegate solenoid "A" low
and
Engine Coolant Temp Circuit High Input (I had no temp registering while the car was running)

I'd like to get things sorted out today if possible.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I will check the sensor. As far as the fuel, it has e85 with the e85 map. Im going to go ahead and drain it tomorrow and switch over to 93.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
E85 should show rich like in the 9's at WOT and I believe 11.8 at idle depending on elevation. Ask George, hes the E85 Guru. Ive never used it, I just studied a little. Also, You have a completely different motor than George, I wouldnt use his maps. Their not tuned for that motor. Make a limp map until the car is broken in then tune it according to the mods on the car.

Where on God's green earth did you get those numbers from! :rofl: JK!

Actually it depends if your gauge is calibrated for E85 or Gas. If it is calibrated for E85, stoich will be around 9.7 and WOT will be around 7 to 6. If it is calibrated for gasoline you simply adhere to the same afr's for gasoline. I had every thing calibrated for gas because it was just easier that way since the ECU is calibrated for gasoline. So you should be at 14.7ish at idle and cruise and between 12.5 to 11 WOT as defined in the fuel map.

I tend to agree with Gino that your motor is completely different and it could be a contributing factor to what you are seeing now. The block I was tuned on had 9.5:1 compression pistons. That is going to have a profound effect on the tune if you have stock compression pistons now.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Here's a thought...

Once you have confirmed you have no leaks in the system we can derive a good base map for you to use during break-in.

This is no problem for us to do right here in this thread. The good thing here is I still have AccessTuner Race married to your car and AP so we can make quick work of it.

Just something for you to think about. I'm sure you would like to have a bit of piece of mind while breaking in your new motor. Heck... this will even give you a good idea of the tuning process.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Okay, so I have some updates and additional questions.

The coolant sensor was unplugged so that took care of that CEL. It is still throwing the Wastegate Solenoid code (George could this be due to something changed with the car or did you ever have this code by chance?)

I retarded the global timing, now when it starts it is around 12-13 but once warmed up it is right back up to 17-18 at idle and 15-15.5 at 3k rpms. Car still sounds good and fires right up. Shouldn't it also be throwing a CEL for running lean?

George I don't have the AccesTuner Race software so I can't do that at this point. But I would like to get something changed for the break in period just to make me feel better.

EDIT: I am off today due to getting the flu yesterday, but I'd like to get this figured out by tonight if possible. I have, however, gotten the "urgent" portion of this taken care of, so this thread can be moved if needed. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Just found out my appointment for inspection is tomorrow morning, can anyone help me richen this thing up by tonight? From watching the gauge it seems that i need to move richer by 3.
Idle = 17.8+
2k =16.8-17.2
3k =15.7-16

Eagleye

Tinkerer
UPDATE: No more CELs but still quite lean. Can someone alter my current map enough to get me to my inspection appointment and through break in?

My set-up is the same as George except it now has 8.9:1 pistons instead of 9.5:1 and the heads are matching.

My email is tws1098@gmail.com and comes directly to my phone, current A/Fs are in a previous post for reference. It stumbles at idle but holds very nicely around 3k.

I tried to attach the tune but it says it is an invalid file.