Collective Drivetrain Modification Review

MZWRX

I've been really quite on any of the WRX forums, but I finally feel like I have installed enough of a certain kind of modification to feel like I might know what I'm talking about haha.

Ok on to the point of the thread.

Recently I have installed the following modifications to my stock WRX:
Group N Transmission Mount
ACT Street Lite Flywheel and OEM clutch
Kartboy Transmission Cross member Bushings
Turn-In Concepts Rear Differential Bushings ? Race
Kartboy Rear-Outrigger Bushing inserts

What I should have named this thread is ?How to make your quite stock WRX stupid loud without installing an exhaust.? The amount of noise and vibration that my drive train now makes is unreal. However, I love it. It didn?t become this way instantly, but the combination of the above make a lot of noise. Here are my impressions of each MOD in order of install.

Group N Transmission Mount: This was my first drive train MOD. I can easily say that this modification was the most rewarding mod I have ever done to a car. I could feel the difference before I even pulled my car out of the driveway. It made the car so responsive and the shifts became so much crisper, quicker, and firmer. Go buy this.

ACT Street Lite Flywheel: After 98K miles my stock clutch and flywheel gave up. So of course I had to upgrade at least one of them. I chose the flywheel to upgrade because it was only 9 bucks more expensive that a stock one and I got an insane deal on an OEM Clutch so upgraded flywheel it was. After the break in period I could finally appreciate the benefits of a LWF. PROS: Response is insane. This motor is rev happy. Acceleration in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] is awesome. I get insane gas mileage on the highway now. CONS: I have to give it more revs to start moving ? no big deal. There is a TON of clutch/gear box chatter ? eh it can be annoying. Possibility of a CEL for a ?misfire? ? hasn?t happened yet, Ill cross that bridge when I get there I guess. Overall, I would buy this again.

Kartboy Transmission Cross member Bushings: These did everything the Transmission Mount did, except not as much. The biggest gain I noticed with these was in increase in the stiffness of my shifter. So, go buy these they?re only like 30 bucks.

Turn-In Concepts Rear Differential Bushings ? Race: I noticed more noise from these and also got a lot more response out of the car. Out of every other mod, I saw the smallest change from these. Long Story Short ? These are also cheap so just buy them.

Kartboy Rear-Outrigger Bushing inserts: Before I bought these I read a few reviews saying how noisy these were going to be. Having already installed a lot of different bushings and mounts and not really hearing an insane amount of noise, I figured the people writing these reviews were just whining. I mean these are small, and not even that thick. Well, they were right. These will make your drive train scream, they will make your clutch/gearbox chatter much louder, and they will make your engine vibrations flow through your whole car. They will also make your car take off as soon as you touch the gas pedal. I like how the car pulls now, but I don?t know for sure if I will keep them or not, they are really loud. I?m only 22 so I?ll probably keep them.

To conclude, my car is stupid loud. However it takes off like a rocket when you give it any gas at all. Other WRX owners who have driven my car comment on how tight it feels and how solid it is. I would also venture to guess it is the fastest ?stock? WRX within a reasonable driving distance from me so I am happy, for now. I have Group N engine mounts in my trunk that I have yet to install and I have a pitch stop mount on the way. I?ll add my reflections on those once I eventually get them installed. I tend to take my time installing things so it could be a while.

Thanks guys.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice review. Thank you for taking the time to write that and sharing that with us.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You made a few comments about how the bushings increased shifter response--have you thought about installing shifter bushings?

MZWRX

You made a few comments about how the bushings increased shifter response--have you thought about installing shifter bushings?

Sure have! They are on my list of things to do, however being a full-time engineering student means I have to take my time and I don't get to install everything I want right away. The Kartboy bushing and short shifter combo kit is honestly next on my list of "things that I am going to buy once I have extra cash."

STimedic

I hate the drivetrain whine at highway speeds.....I might just look at taking them out for extended road trips. In having all these same bushings and more and some I haven't even installed yet, I don't regret installing any of them, as I have gotten a lot of the same comments on how composed and tight she feels along with the almost instantaneous throttle response. Plus having an enormously oversized hunk of metal acting as an intake plenum (Spearco TMIC) helps with throttle response too....