Duration of time for fluids to warm up?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
In this example, let's use a 70 degree, sunny day. Let's say it takes 5 minutes for the coolant to come up to operating temperature. The oil should take about twice as long as the coolant to come up to operating temperature. What about the transmission and rear differential fluids? How long does it take for those to come up to operating temperature?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Sorry, no clue.

If it helps, I would only wait for the oil to get to temp before starting laps on track days. Everything seemed (and still seems) fine.

Aggelos04

Αs a general rule drive normally for 30 min before you start pushing your car. Especially oil needs time to start lubricating efficiently. Now regarding transmission and diff fluids their operating temp is significantly lower than eng oil. So my conclusion is to drive normally for half an hour and then start racing . My 2c though. Also remember when at 6th gear and when you reach your desired speed ease your right foot in order to decrease the turbos maximum boost

Ghost Ryder

Admittingly, I have recently bought my first Subie and have been researching the same questions. It is difficult to find consistent answers. Which I assume is because of all of the unpredictable real would driving conditions.

It would be nice if someone could gather information on this and create a graph based on the feed back. Maybe a regional map as well with generalized info on climate temperature in certain states & area of those states with fluid warm up times suggested accordingly.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I know there's a diff temp warning light. That must mean there's a diff temp gauge. Is that something which can be monitored over OBDII? Or is it like the [useless] oil pressure warning light?

But if there's already a probe in the diff, and wiring to the front cluster, one could presumably tap into it even if its not OBDII. Doing so may require replacing the probe with something more accurate and/or dealing with constant diff temp warning lights, but it's something to consider.