Harnesses

I have a set of 4 pt Corbeau harnesses, and I was wondering if there is a way to bolt them on without having to get a harness bar...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I don't think so.

Why did you purchase them without the bar?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That's a good thing. :tup:

Evo_Fucking_STi

You really dont want to install a harness without a cage, They don't have the proper tie down for the shoulder straps. You can't mount the straps above your shoulders which can cause you to break your back in an accident.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You really dont want to install a harness without a cage, They don't have the proper tie down for the shoulder straps. You can't mount the straps above your shoulders which can cause you to break your back in an accident.

GOOD POINT!

finallymysti

the harness is designed to function within a range angles and lengths. then you pick the angle and length in that range that works best for the driver and other supporting equipment, such as hans device, seat, etc.

Evo_Fucking_STi

But all have to be above your shoulders that is my point, physics is physics if you apply a force to a strap it will want to straighten out, if you mount below the shoulders the strap will want ot straighten out and break your back. Plain and simple all harnesses are mounted above the shoulders any chassis builder will tell you the same thing

finallymysti

When I say different angles what are u imagining. I don't mean bolted to the floor at a 90? angle. I mean within 10 inches of yor shoulders and +\- 15 degrees level of shoulders. Look at some race cars like v8 super cars. They are in this range.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Harnesses without a cage pose a problem.

Basically, if you get in a crash and the harness bar buckles backwards (think of a t-bone collision) it pulls you into/through the seat and all the good internal organs come squishing out the sides.

4-point harnesses pose another problem.

if you slam into a wall or another car all the momentum of your body wants you to continue to go forward. With a factory seatbelt you do just that and an airbag helps cushion the blow. With a 4-point, the top of your body cant go forward so the bottom does. Basically, you can get jettisoned into the area under the steering wheel and end up a ball in the footwell.

Also, harnesses are usually illegal to use (not have) on a car on public roads.

The reason is the above two safety issues PLUS, if you have it tightened down properly, you cant really turn your head/body to check blind spots and whatnot. Thats why many racecars have that huuuuge, panoramic rear-view mirror.

With all that said, if you still want a harness bar PM some of the vendors on here. If they dont have it i'm sure they can point you in the right direction!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Been building and using Jeeps for 20 years in the offroad scene. Been making full roll cages and utilizing harnessess on most all of the units I have built. Most of the previous posts are correct.
Harnesses are not DOT approved. They aren't made to stretch and provide some slack during a collision. If you tightent them appropriately, you willnot be able to move at all... like to check blind spots or to back up or get your Big Mac at McDonalds.
Mounting your harness to the floor would result in broken shoulders and collar bones in a collision, to say the least.
Without a submarine belt, the fifth point, you possibly can slip out from under and get really f-cked up. This is important during high speed.

You have zero good mounting points for a bar in your car unless you apply a properly mounted cage. Mount them to the floor and when you apply force to the mounting points, they will tear away and you go for a ride through the window or the roof. Put in a cheesy bar and the effects will be just as bad plus you'll have a pipe being thrown around your car to make a mural of your skull pieces and brain noodles.
A damn cage and not a bar. The bar will fold like tin foil in a wreck. A roll cage will be made of proper sized DOM tubing, or better, welded to strong reinforced points a frame if available, gussets applied and braced in all o f the critical areas. The cage is in itself will encompass the intterior of the vehicle and will take into account collisions of all different areas and angles.

Sorry if I come across as harsh but this is no place to half ass anything.

Look at some videos or pics of ghetto cages after collisions. Click the link below. This is of a Mustang out my local track who had a cheap bolt in cage. Notice the pic of it on its lid and the feet of the cage punched through the floor boards. Also notice how the cage did nothing to prevent roof collapse.

http://jalopnik.com/5390934/mustang-cover-boy-tries-to-corner-flips-over-tire-wall

finallymysti

So when u r saying cage does that include the auto power rollbars. I personally think it is a fine choice but obviously not as good as a custom Weld in full cage

Evo_Fucking_STi

Auto Power roll bars are not really for anything other than look. They do provide some reinforcement, but tehy are jsut bolted to chassis points that already have bolts in them. You aren't really tying the whole chassis together at its strongest points, which is what you do with a custom weld in rollcage.

I have always been a saftey gear is the one place you never ever skimp on!