Hello from Fort myers, FL

TurboDave

Hello folks My name is Dave and I just dumped my 2010 mazdaspeed 3 for a new 2012 STI limited...I think that was a good move but I guess I'll find out. I'm pretty new to the boxster platform and always looking for some pointers to start mods on my new STI. If there are any members that are in my area give me a shout

Deek

Congrats on the upgrade sir! ;) Welcome to the forums. Read around and search, search, search before just throwing things on.

Intake and CBE aren't a bad start... I never went with either until I went full stage 2, which is only one more part, the downpipe. I figured if I'm going to have a good amount of the plumbing off of the car I might as well do the downpipe too. I honestly think that if I would have gone with just intake and CBE that I would have been disappointed and ended up doing the downpipe anyways, being that it is the component that is the most restrictive in the stage 2 component replacement list.

If you have a hatch, which has a less restrictive cat-back on it from the factory than the sedan counterpart, you can honestly go with just an intake and downpipe to reach stage 2 safely. You don't really need a cat-back (on a hatch) until you go beyond that power level, at least so I am told by a few vendors and other experienced individuals.

Stage 1 can be attained by simply reflashing the stock ECU with an OTS (off the shelf) map from Cobb.

For the GR chassis, stage 2 base requirements are intake and downpipe (and CBE if you have a sedan).

Oh, and definitely do NOT do any of these upgrades without immediately tuning the car for it... it doesn't take a grenade to pop a ring-land with our glass pistons... more like a sneeze. :lol: Well not quite that bad, but things can definitely go awry without tuning for the mods, it is very important for these cars.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the team. You have come to the right place. First mod is sponsor membership. :)

Got pics?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome! Post up some pics and start a member's journal to let us know what kind of direction you want to go with the car. Suspension, engine, show car, etc...

ZachTTLM

Welcome! My opinion is you made a great trade! Lets see some pictures :)

TurboDave

Thanks for the welcome to your forum everyone. I'm kinda new to this forum thing and hope to learn a little from it also. Hopefully I can get some pics of it up soon so you guys can check it out. I do have a bunch of plans to mod this car out like my last one so I'm really looking forward to this...First time subie owner here so I'm in unfamiliar territory with this platform...

TurboDave

Thats cool we should keep in touch then if you guys come down this way, I'm from Pittsburg Pa originally and Ive only been down here for about 6 years now but its nice here and I like the weather except for the humidity at times. But I got to say the winter time is really nice because its like perfect weather

Welcome! I'm really missing FL now lol. Rek888v2 and I will be moving to Ft Myers or the Cape in a couple years.

TurboDave

Thanks deek I will hopefully keep my glass pistons in check :lol:. I plan on doing everything at one time unlike my other car that I had. I figure I'm going to spend around 4 to 5K on it and call it good but that could change to I suppose?? I hope spending that kind of coin can get me somewhere close to what I want from it.

Congrats on the upgrade sir! ;) Welcome to the forums. Read around and search, search, search before just throwing things on.

Intake and CBE aren't a bad start... I never went with either until I went full stage 2, which is only one more part, the downpipe. I figured if I'm going to have a good amount of the plumbing off of the car I might as well do the downpipe too. I honestly think that if I would have gone with just intake and CBE that I would have been disappointed and ended up doing the downpipe anyways, being that it is the component that is the most restrictive in the stage 2 component replacement list.

If you have a hatch, which has a less restrictive cat-back on it from the factory than the sedan counterpart, you can honestly go with just an intake and downpipe to reach stage 2 safely. You don't really need a cat-back (on a hatch) until you go beyond that power level, at least so I am told by a few vendors and other experienced individuals.

Stage 1 can be attained by simply reflashing the stock ECU with an OTS (off the shelf) map from Cobb.

For the GR chassis, stage 2 base requirements are intake and downpipe (and CBE if you have a sedan).

Oh, and definitely do NOT do any of these upgrades without immediately tuning the car for it... it doesn't take a grenade to pop a ring-land with our glass pistons... more like a sneeze. :lol: Well not quite that bad, but things can definitely go awry without tuning for the mods, it is very important for these cars.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Welcome in! Glad to have you with us. I'm down in the general Orlando area, and I'll probably wind up going to chill with Rex and Fuji and Twiz from time to time as well. So glad to have another Floridian on board. :)

TurboDave

Yeah for sure.. that would be cool. Can you add people to like a freinds list or something on this forum?

Welcome. Ill be making trips down that way until I move there for school. Ill post up when I am heading there if you would like to meet and see what can be done to the car.

TurboDave

I plan to get everything done within the year I hope and I'll probably head up your way to titan motor sports to do some dyno runs and some ECU tuning. I took my speed 3 there about 1 1/2 years ago and layed down some serious numbers for a mazda direct injected engine. We should keep in touch and maybe throw back some beers or something.

Welcome in! Glad to have you with us. I'm down in the general Orlando area, and I'll probably wind up going to chill with Rex and Fuji and Twiz from time to time as well. So glad to have another Floridian on board. :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I see I see. :)