Illuminated Cup Holders

microsnook

For those of you that enjoy customizing the little things in your STi's, here you are!

Ok Ill try and describe exactly how I did this, but I was too excited and forgot to document the entire process. I just have the finished result.
Im not usually good with this stuff, so if I can do it, you can too. Just be patient.

1)So what you do it just pop off the area around your shifter (it just pops off, don't be scared, but don't break it)

2)You'll see a black wire and a red wire for ground and power coming off the back of the cigarette lighter.

3)Tap those wires and then make sure you have about 2ft of wire coming off of them to run to the cupholders.

4)You can run those two wires (from cig lighter) to the cup holders.

5)Now you unscrew the two screws on the northern part of your armrest (open it up to see the screws) and this allows you to lift up the cup holders a bit to see around, run wires, drill holes, etc.

6)You should now have the prewired LEDs and a drill bit to match them. (5mm LEDs from Ozinium(?).com- Prewired!**)

7)Drill holes appropriately where you want them to be in the holders and make sure the LEDs will fit, or at least halfway fit depending on how you want it to look.

8)Butt splice the LEDs (x2) into the ground wire and the power wire.

9)Lift up the cup holders and stick the LEDs into place and use a hot glue gun to hold them there permanently. (make sure you have all the wiring INSIDE/UNDERNEATH the console/cup holders before pushing the cup holders down in place).

10)The LEDs should be firm in place and not sticking out too much as to ruin the space in the cup holders.

*Before pushing everything down/gluing, turn on your keys to make sure you have power and the LEDs are working!

Here is my post form IWSTI

Pictures of the cupholers:

727qtk.jpg

^(this one you can see the LED out of the corner of your eye. It hasn't been an issue yet but I've hardly driven at night. So if it becomes annoying, then I will have to make something to just cover the top area of it.)
zu4n8.jpg

Pictures of cupholers and my drivers red map light for night time cabin activities:
24mt545.jpg

I think my next step will be putting red lights under the footwells of both driver and passenger. Not sure whether to make them blue or red, but since I have the red cup holders and red map light, I figured it would match the gauge cluster as well and fit nicely. Even with the blue interior.

Tell me what you all think!

Hope this helps some of you out.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I likey. :)