make up a tool to remove rod sleeve???

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Hey guys im in the garage wanting to get the block apart, but my sub. Mech isn't here and I don't have the tool that removes the rod sleeve (sorry for my ignorance im not sure what they are called) is there anything I can use in place of the tool to get them out. I already removed the snap rings with needle nose. Thanks!!!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
they call it a piston pin in the manual, my b.

What would you knock it out with? Since you have to reach something through the opposite side. Sorry for the stupid questions, its been a long day and I really just dont want to screw anything up.

Last edited:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
when you remove the service plug you have to take out the snap ring and then the piston pin. It says you use a tool to remove the piston pin. Apparently it catches on the back of it and allows you to pull it out. Does this sound familiar now? My phone is a pain in the arse to post pics up on here. If not, I will call it quits for the night and work at it tomorrow. Either way I appreciate the quick help.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
thats, cool then. I will see if I can't just knock them out. Thanks for your help! I really want to get these out tonight so I can ge tthe block cleaned up and at the shop asap.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Find your self a really long thin shaft screw driver and line one of the wrist pins up with the hole in the block... Then from the other side stick the screw driver through and knock the wrist pin out from the back side of it. The screw driver should just clear the connecting rod.

Scott Stokes

If you can find a small slide hammer. hey come with a hook attachment. that works perfect. I am heading to shop in a few so i will get a picture up. And Fuji he is talking about the wrist pins.

WhiteoutRally

3 easy ways...

1 push them out from the opposite side using long screwdriver or similar

2 use a metal coat hanger, and bend the end into a tight U that fits in and use it to catch the back side and give her a yank

3 pass wire through it and out the other side. Tie a knot and yank away at the knot will keep it from going back thru (hardest way cause getting it out the other side is a pain)

They shouldn't be too hard to get out. We usually use the coat hanger trick.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Thanks guys, got them all out of both blocks. I used a screwdriver and hammer and knocked them out. Worked well. I got everything cleaned up today at work. The CP pistons are in good shape, one of the Weiscos is shot so unfortunately I had to buy pistons today. Jordan at Defined got me hooked up though, now as long as one set of rods check out i will be happy.