2011_Kona_Blue

Greeting all. Just wanted to introduce myself and say I'm a car enthusiast of all makes and models. I have the utmost respect for a types of performance vehicles domestic and foreign. I do not have a STI and currently own a 2011 Mustang. I joined because I wanted to touch base with enthusiasts that owned turbo 4 cylinder performance vehicles and ask what the talk was amoung you guys about the new 2015 turbo 4 banger Ecoboost mustang?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
First welcome. Second we heard it runs really good and we can't wait to drive one.

PS: www.igotamustang.com

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Welcome.

Intriguing, promising come to mind. Though I'm a purist and believe 8 holes should reside between the fenders of a mustang. It would have to knock my socks off in order for me to go against the grain.

2011_Kona_Blue

Thanks for the warm welcome and appreciate not getting my a$$ handed to me for being on the forum. Lol. I am really active on various mustang forums and debates go on about the appeal of this ecoboost 4 cylinder mustang. My thought was, enthusiasts who like STI's, Mitts EVO's etc would not turn over and get that 4 turbo mustang. Its not AWD so traction is not gonna be even close to your traction of STI's. I just didn't see this mustang being a huge success with the import 4 turbo crowd but figured I get some opinions from enthusiasts like yourselves.

Now rumor has it Ford is coming out with a Focus RS that will be AWD, 2.3 ecoboost 4 banger turbo with 350 HP. Now that could be interesting to see if some import performance enthusiasts switch over. I have been told this new 4 banger turbo mustang should get great power gains once a tune is added because performance vehicles like yours and this new 2.3 ecoboost engine from Ford, it responds great to aftermarket tuning.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to the forum. I was so ready to talk about the focus rs until i read the second part of the post. :lol:

From the reviews ive seen, the 4 banger stang is a no go for us enthusiasts. 5.0 all the way as of right now.

If the focus rs holds true to its value, i have my eyes out for it. :tup:

Now what are you waiting for?! Pics and info of the stang! :lol: :tup:

2011_Kona_Blue

Welcome to the forum. I was so ready to talk about the focus rs until i read the second part of the post. :lol:

From the reviews ive seen, the 4 banger stang is a no go for us enthusiasts. 5.0 all the way as of right now.

If the focus rs holds true to its value, i have my eyes out for it. :tup:

Now what are you waiting for?! Pics and info of the stang! :lol: :tup:
Well, shucks. My mustang is nothing special but its all paid off. Lol. It's a 2011 3.7 V6 model with numerous performance modifications along with some minor appearance mods as well. Its all N/A and dyno at 297 rwhp and 276 rwtq. The V6 model really lacks that low end grunt but I do have 3:73 gears and that really helps with the off line acceleration. Lol. So here she is.

Again, thanks for being so kind and that Focus RS sounds like it could be very bad ass. Lol.
0294e1338dbf61694e4954f754ad8de1.jpg
0c7d3ae0e4c3cd8345071cc64f4ebe1e.jpg
2608dc55cf9531b702db3de78a300006.jpg
b62ae98818d50d2b6343451da4c0270d.jpg
db01ffa747a1bee2294d317d06ddaafa.jpg
aedfcc385063f216b7f8a37fe765fcbd.jpg
3bf1e879cfc30a67f58a8370f3705fe6.jpg
73d8cd0ca001646fc6dee888f41ea5fd.jpg
034c74220bfc3d8b55d5511a1f3a31d4.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn those are very nice numbers for a v6! It must feel pretty quick with the 3.73 too!

Thanks for the warm welcome and appreciate not getting my a$$ handed to me for being on the forum. Lol. I am really active on various mustang forums and debates go on about the appeal of this ecoboost 4 cylinder mustang. My thought was, enthusiasts who like STI's, Mitts EVO's etc would not turn over and get that 4 turbo mustang. Its not AWD so traction is not gonna be even close to your traction of STI's. I just didn't see this mustang being a huge success with the import 4 turbo crowd but figured I get some opinions from enthusiasts like yourselves.

Now rumor has it Ford is coming out with a Focus RS that will be AWD, 2.3 ecoboost 4 banger turbo with 350 HP. Now that could be interesting to see if some import performance enthusiasts switch over. I have been told this new 4 banger turbo mustang should get great power gains once a tune is added because performance vehicles like yours and this new 2.3 ecoboost engine from Ford, it responds great to aftermarket tuning.

Welcome too!

Damn that didn't work my son grabbed the phone when I was typing. Well welcome to the forum and im interested in seeing what they do to 4 banger stang im sure it will be pretty nice for the American tuning crowd since it should be easier to play with an engine with a single head in that roomy engine bay.

But yes I've been one of those car people always wondering why Ford sales all the good compact fords over seas and not in America so it should be nice to have a hopped up focus over here in the states.

2011_Kona_Blue

Damn those are very nice numbers for a v6! It must feel pretty quick with the 3.73 too!

Thanks bro. Not bad for a N/A V6. Lol. The 3:73 gears really made a huge difference in the low end grunt. Since the car lacks torque, traction is actually not bad for me. Ha ha ha. One of the positive sides of not having lots of torque and not having much better tires or AWD which by the way is super cool. Lol. I bet you guys can load up on torque and with the AWD hook amazing.

2011_Kona_Blue

Damn that didn't work my son grabbed the phone when I was typing. Well welcome to the forum and im interested in seeing what they do to 4 banger stang im sure it will be pretty nice for the American tuning crowd since it should be easier to play with an engine with a single head in that roomy engine bay.

But yes I've been one of those car people always wondering why Ford sales all the good compact fords over seas and not in America so it should be nice to have a hopped up focus over here in the states.
Thanks for the welcome and I'm still trying to figure out the consumer market Ford thinks their going to get here in the states with that 4 turbo. I've been saying to other mustang enthusiasts I just can't see the import performance car enthusiast jumping ship over to a mustang even if its a 4 cylinder turbo.

Now, this new Focus RS thats rumored to be AWD and area of 350 HP 4 turbo. That may catch the attention of import enthususts but seems odd Ford would make such a powerful 4 turbo after coming out with this new mustang. In fact if the rumors are true a turbo 350 HP AWD Ford Focus may be faster than their 5.0 because because of traction (AWD) and weight reduction. Very odd too me.

So how about you kind gentlemen eduacting me on import performance cars because I really don't know that much other than your cars have amazing traction, fast from the factory and pulls like a fright train when tuned and modded.

I apologize in advance if my terminology is off for things when talking about your cars. Its my understanding the STI has a very strong motor that loves boost and can hold quite a bit on factory internals. Tell me about your rides and pictures please. What gearing do you guys like for the STI's? How much HP can the engine hold on the factory internals?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Thanks for the welcome and I'm still trying to figure out the consumer market Ford thinks their going to get here in the states with that 4 turbo. I've been saying to other mustang enthusiasts I just can't see the import performance car enthusiast jumping ship over to a mustang even if its a 4 cylinder turbo.

Now, this new Focus RS thats rumored to be AWD and area of 350 HP 4 turbo. That may catch the attention of import enthususts but seems odd Ford would make such a powerful 4 turbo after coming out with this new mustang. In fact if the rumors are true a turbo 350 HP AWD Ford Focus may be faster than their 5.0 because because of traction (AWD) and weight reduction. Very odd too me.

So how about you kind gentlemen eduacting me on import performance cars because I really don't know that much other than your cars have amazing traction, fast from the factory and pulls like a fright train when tuned and modded.

I apologize in advance if my terminology is off for things when talking about your cars. Its my understanding the STI has a very strong motor that loves boost and can hold quite a bit on factory internals. Tell me about your rides and pictures please. What gearing do you guys like for the STI's? How much HP can the engine hold on the factory internals?

People will by the Focus. How much will be pulled from the import crowd, dunno? People bought the SRT4 neon.
Subarus get in your blood once you've owned one. Dunno what's with them, maybe they sprinkle you with pixie dust? Even people who leave them, generally find their way back.

They respond well to mods because of the turbo. Generally, dollar for dollar, vs NA cars, the turbo platform is ahead in making more power. Plus things like ethanol and methanol and race gas only add to the power.

Awd adds weight and makes for launching tricky. Gotta get those revs up in order to play well off the line. Plus off boost, down low, these cars are dogs. Catch a subaru driver off guard or doesn't know how to drive and you've got him in the bag.... unless he's got so much power, it makes up for lack of skills.

The motor is fairly strong with a good crank and rods. Heads flow well and cams seem decent even with bigger turbos. Pistons are the weak link and seem to pop at any power levels. Forged Pistons take care of this annoying problem.

Tuning is also essential to keeping things happy. They are very sensitive to even minor changes.

We don't play much with gearing. The 6 speed has pretty short and steep gears so low end and midrange power comes on fast but at the expense of constantly rowing gears. The transmissions are nearly indestructible along with a very solid diffs.

The cars are lighter than domestic muscle so we can do more with less.

Factory turbos aren't that impressive up top so highway races tend to put us at disadvantages. Bigger turbos are a different story.

Need more input? Lol

2011_Kona_Blue

People will by the Focus. How much will be pulled from the import crowd, dunno? People bought the SRT4 neon.
Subarus get in your blood once you've owned one. Dunno what's with them, maybe they sprinkle you with pixie dust? Even people who leave them, generally find their way back.
They respond well to mods because of the turbo. Generally, dollar for dollar, vs NA cars, the turbo platform is ahead in making more power. Plus things like ethanol and methanol and race gas only add to the power.
Awd adds weight and makes for launching tricky. Gotta get those revs up in order to play well off the line. Plus off boost, down low, these cars are dogs. Catch a subaru driver off guard or doesn't know how to drive and you've got him in the bag.... unless he's got so much power, it makes up for lack of skills.
The motor is fairly strong with a good crank and rods. Heads flow well and cams seem decent even with bigger turbos. Pistons are the weak link and seem to pop at any power levels. Forged Pistons take care of this annoying problem.
Tuning is also essential to keeping things happy. They are very sensitive to even minor changes.
We don't play much with gearing. The 6 speed has pretty short and steep gears so low end and midrange power comes on fast but at the expense of constantly rowing gears. The transmissions are nearly indestructible along with a very solid diffs.
The cars are lighter than domestic muscle so we can do more with less.
Factory turbos aren't that impressive up top so highway races tend to put us at disadvantages. Bigger turbos are a different story.

Need more input? Lol
Thanks bro. That seems to be the review in this new 2015 mustang 4 turbo, the car down low pulls hard but high end it looses power and goes almost nowhere. Interesting about not changing gearing. For the pony enthusiasts we are all over the place from 3:15 to 4:10 gearing depending on if your F.I. or not.

I figured with the AWD you guys would have amazing traction with almost no wheel spin. I know I was having some wheel hop issues with my pony so I installed an aftermarket set of lower control arms and that solved my wheel hop issue.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Thanks bro. That seems to be the review in this new 2015 mustang 4 turbo, the car down low pulls hard but high end it looses power and goes almost nowhere. Interesting about not changing gearing. For the pony enthusiasts we are all over the place from 3:15 to 4:10 gearing depending on if your F.I. or not.

I figured with the AWD you guys would have amazing traction with almost no wheel spin. I know I was having some wheel hop issues with my pony so I installed an aftermarket set of lower control arms and that solved my wheel hop issue.

A good tune can help us a lot in the upper revs but the little turbo is simply not made for big power up top.

Gear changes just really are difficult with the awd system.

Wheel spin is more prevalent in higher powered cars but tends to be shorter and more controlled.

Understeer is also a big thing with us. These things tend to understeer badly at the limit. That's why you'll see a lot of us taking big measures to make the car more neutral, if not a touch oversteer.

Being a lover and former V8 guy, I know all too well the pros and cons of the domestic muscle. Lol

2011_Kona_Blue

A good tune can help us a lot in the upper revs but the little turbo is simply not made for big power up top.
Gear changes just really are difficult with the awd system.

Wheel spin is more prevalent in higher powered cars but tends to be shorter and more controlled.

Understeer is also a big thing with us. These things tend to understeer badly at the limit. That's why you'll see a lot of us taking big measures to make the car more neutral, if not a touch oversteer.

Being a lover and former V8 guy, I know all too well the pros and cons of the domestic muscle. Lol
The muscle car defenitly has its short comings and pitfalls. Lol. What V8 muscle car did you have? Do a lot of the STI performance enthusiasts install larger turbos in the car? What is the factory boost psi setting on the STI? How much boost can one turn up on the small factory turbo? What type of power are your cars making with tune and some basic bolt on mods?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The muscle car defenitly has its short comings and pitfalls. Lol. What V8 muscle car did you have? Do a lot of the STI performance enthusiasts install larger turbos in the car? What is the factory boost psi setting on the STI? How much boost can one turn up on the small factory turbo? What type of power are your cars making with tune and some basic bolt on mods?

Mustangs mostly. Last was a '94.

Bigger turbos are very common.
Around 15psi factory.

I've seen 22psi and as high as 24. Though that's likely out of its efficiency range.

Factory to the ground is around 240/260.

Stage one tune and around 300
Stage two is downpipe and tune. 300-350 to wheels

Stage 3 is bigger turbo.

Variations of the stages, like fuel pumps, injectors, porting can get better results. Add methanol or e85 and you get another 30-50 hp/tq to the wheels. Rework the stock turbo and you get another 10-20%.

400-500 seems common in bigger turbo. 550-650 in more extreme cases.

2011_Kona_Blue

Mustangs mostly. Last was a '94.

Bigger turbos are very common.
Around 15psi factory.

I've seen 22psi and as high as 24. Though that's likely out of its efficiency range.

Factory to the ground is around 240/260.

Stage one tune and around 300
Stage two is downpipe and tune. 300-350 to wheels

Stage 3 is bigger turbo.

Variations of the stages, like fuel pumps, injectors, porting can get better results. Add methanol or e85 and you get another 30-50 hp/tq to the wheels. Rework the stock turbo and you get another 10-20%.

400-500 seems common in bigger turbo. 550-650 in more extreme cases.
I take it bigger the turbo more lag there is. Lol. Those are impressive power numbers plus with the less weight those babies roll. I hear this downpipe mod being mentioned with the 4 turbo mustang. Please forgive me but what is that?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The downpipe is the pipe coming off of your turbo and it mates to the midpipe/catback. Theres a diagram in a thread. Search exhuast diagram in the search bar and see if it comes up.

2011_Kona_Blue

The downpipe is the pipe coming off of your turbo and it mates to the midpipe/catback. Theres a diagram in a thread. Search exhuast diagram in the search bar and see if it comes up.
Okay thanks. Is it common to have the cats removed with your turbo cars for people who don't have emission yearly testing. I know on my mustang I removed my cats and have a catless mid pipe that makes a lot more HP for me. Is it the same on turbo cars or do you want the cats on for more back pressure.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
People go both ways: catted and catless. With a catted dp you have better flow but less power because its restrictive. With catless you can gain more power because there is no restriction but you need a muffler to neutralize the back pressure. I had a straight pipe and no cat and the flow wasnt stable on the stock turbo. Its not really an issue with bigger turbos. I am catless and i pass echeck bevause we have self echecks here. :lol: as long as no CEL you can pass it with flying colors.