New Subaru BRZ coupe info.... and an STI version!

Enjoy!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-brz-sports-car-prototype-drive

STI concept:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/subaru-brz-sti-concept-auto-shows-car-and-driver

subaru-brz-sti-concept-auto-shows-car-and-driver-photo-426961-s-429x262.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks like I'll be getting a new STi. Let's see that will put me at two. :)

bugeye_fever

Can't be having any of that, this is the new, soft, cuddly age! Sti's with leather and a sunroof, getting beat by 3800lb evo's... people who can't get out of their driveway without navigation, TPMS just keeps us lazy. I'm deeply sad to see the curb wieght up at 28-2900lbs, guess I was naive to think a wheelbase 10" longer than a miata could be 2500lbs..

This was supposed to be a happy post..

Z1107

An STi thats not any more powerful than the base model... that just sounds plain... stupid. The base model is where its at though. Low center of gravity, RWD, easily upgradeable motor, under 3000 lbs, what more do you need.

Last edited:
Eh. I'm not a huge fan of any of the new concepts.. At least not with the body styles. I miss the old tough, aggressive designs.

Can't be having any of that, this is the new, soft, cuddly age! Sti's with leather and a sunroof, getting beat by 3800lb evo's... people who can't get out of their driveway without navigation, TPMS just keeps us lazy. I'm deeply sad to see the curb wieght up at 28-2900lbs, guess I was naive to think a wheelbase 10" longer than a miata could be 2500lbs..

This was supposed to be a happy post..

Damn, i was straight Hatin' last night..

You guys are missing the point! This is a massive improvement over the GR and 2011 STI. Its still a lean sports car under 3k with a chassis designed for performance and not as a 4 door family car. The fact they tried to do this means Subaru still cares about performance and racing.

Just WAIT untill the STI version comes out. Remember this is just the base model.

An STi thats not any more powerful than the base model... that just sounds plain... stupid. The base model is where its at though. Low center of gravity, RWD, easily upgradeable motor, under 3000 lbs, what more do you need.

Read on man... The STI will be turbo... They just dont want to loose sales on the first release of the regular one... They can sell an STI to someone who just bought a new regular one when the STI is released a year later.

Z1107

You guys are missing the point! This is a massive improvement over the GR and 2011 STI. Its still a lean sports car under 3k with a chassis designed for performance and not as a 4 door family car. The fact they tried to do this means Subaru still cares about performance and racing.

Just WAIT untill the STI version comes out. Remember this is just the base model.

Read on man... The STI will be turbo... They just dont want to loose sales on the first release of the regular one... They can sell an STI to someone who just bought a new regular one when the STI is released a year later.

I did read, the first STi's will be n/a when they first come out. From other sources I've read especially news from Australia where it comes out first, the turbo version will probably come after the first two year cycle. But you are right about Subaru caring about enthusiast cars especially with the direction they went with this car and the 2013 WRX.

wo^tron

Its a step up from whats out there. No offense to you modern STi owners :p and definately not as bad as some of the other er. Concepts.
I wish I got cool cars like that in my test driving job :(

DierwulfBL

no turbo + no awd = not impressed

Until the ACTUAL car is available at a dealership its also pointless speculating what it will look/what it will have based off the concept, as the actual car generally looks/has nothing like any of the concepts. It gives you the very most basic idea. 2012 Impreza concept looks nothing like the 2012 Impreza. From what I've read it won't have a turbo and the nose of the car is too short for the symmetrical AWD to be utilized without hanging the engine out of the front bumper. Also it's a FA engine code which means you cant just pull parts from the EJ parts bin so turbo'ing this thing is going to take extensive work. I figured an STi version would come factory turbo'd but doesn't look that way. GRs may be the last 2.5L turbo powerplants as well (also speculation that cannot be cofirmed nor denied til they hit the lots). Subaru is making a turn and im not sure I like the direction, although I hope they impress me when they finally hit lots, i'm not holding my breath until then though

SSJBaku

lightweight cars are always fun, plus just because its not factory turbo doesn't mean you cant turbo it yourself, that is part of the fun of it ;)

DierwulfBL

2800lbs != lightweight, my 1900lb crx is lightweight, a 2100lb miata is lightweight. The only time light, underpowered cars are fun is on a road racing track or autocross, any other time I'll take the overpowered pig. Also, putting a turbo on a factory N/A car the proper way is going to run your average person 7-10k. Stock compression im guessing will have you at ~10:1 which means you can run no boost safely unless you plan to run E85, in which case you could probably squeeze 7psi on E85 safely. Look at the turbo honda scene, you will understand just how pointless it is to turbo the stock motor. Cost adds up quick and will very quickly put you in WRX STi cost for less performance and less utility. Not to mention it looks like the toyota version of this car is being marketed as a Scion. In this price range/car segment sign me up for the 2.0T Genesis all day everyday

SSJBaku

~2500lbs according to subaru, it is to compete with honda s2k, the crx is a fun car but you have to figure about 600lbs more your doubling the power of that crx from the factory subaru figures aprox 200bhp, as for the engine you figure if you want to make real power out of an sti what do yo have to do...build the motor, so why would it be a big issue to build a motor on this car? i agree with you it is a lot of work for the average enthusiast but that doesn't mean its not appealing to a lot of people, i think it would be more fun being AWD, but with toyota calling the shots being in control of subaru it make take some time to get what we all really would like to see an awd turbo coupe to remind us of the old coupe STI's including my favorite the 22b

Last edited: