: Pictures Update : Poured Synthetic diesel oil in my 2007 WRX STi - Stock

JGWRXSTI

Subject : Subaru Wrx STi 2007 Stock 45,xxx miles

Made a stupid mistake and panicking about what I did.

I was such in rush that i bought 2 big jugs of Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Full synthetic for Diesel engines.

Poured 4.7 quarts of Shell Rotella T6 5w40 Full synthetic for diesel engines and have been driving for 200 miles so far. Have I caused any major damage to my turbo or engine? So far my mpg has decreased down to 15mpg.

I meant to buy Rotella T6 5W40 Synthetic for Gasoline Engines but i didn't take the time to read everything properly.

This is my plan, change my oil with the correct oil, change it again in 100 miles and replace it again in 200 miles.

What is the difference between regular Gasoline motor oil and diesel motor oil?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Subject : Subaru Wrx STi 2007 Stock 45,xxx miles

What is the difference between regular Gasoline motor oil and diesel motor oil?

Thanks everyone.

Additive package is the difference. Most notably ZDDP, or zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate.
This ZDDP can foul the cat in your car. Gasoline cats are different from diesel cats. Diesel cats are designed to work a little different and thus can handle the zinc in the oil.
Detergents are another. Detergents are different between the two.

Zinc is the issue. Prolonged use of diesel oil in gas engines, with cats, can foul the cats and cause problems in that department.

As the other have said, you are fine. Just change it when you can.

JGWRXSTI

Here is some evidence.

Oil I used from Walmart, Minneapolis, Minnesota
$21.99/Jug

ScreenShot2012-11-18at123435PM.png

ScreenShot2012-11-18at123447PM.png

Oil I bought from Pepboys
$29.99/Jug

ScreenShot2012-11-18at123508PM.png

ScreenShot2012-11-18at123521PM.png

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yep. I've been using Rotella T6 in both our cars. I wasnt aware there was a diesel version and a non-diesel version...i've been using the same one in both cars.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Otherwise I read the bottle as best I could and saw zero difference in the two. Even the certifications are the same. Wonder if they really are different??

Been using the T6 on both the STi and Porsche for a few years with no issues. Blackstone liked the oil under analysis.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Looks like the UPC numbers are the same. Probably the same oil, different sticker.