Prototype brakes?!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What is this guy talking about?

2011_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_nurburgring_prototype_39_cd_gallery.jpg

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/subaru_wrx_sti_sedan.html

Grinder34

Track Monkey
It wouldnt surprise me for a "development" car to get a beefed up brake system for tuning at the track. It lets them do lap-after-lap to tune stuff (suspension, ecu, etc...), without a known weak spot slowing them down. Not that the OEM brembos are *bad*, but they dont let you go balls to the wall for hours at a time.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So were those a prototype item to see if they should have it as an option from factory? (If it were, only the rest of the world would see them. USA doesn't get shit!)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Could be. Could also be something they never considered for the actual car, but needed for testing.

I think if they were an option it wouldnt be "prototype" brakes, but "optional."

As I said, I think they knew the brakes werent serious enough, so while they were turning something else (aero, suspension settings, etc...) they had those on there so they could keep going. Same thing with the radiator, or oilpan. Something that takes away that particular restriction, so you can test others. Or do tests more quickly.

IIRC those look very much like brembo 6-pots

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yes sir! :tup:

subaru-wrx-sti-ts-ty-10_600x0w.jpg

subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_r205_slotted_rotors_calipers.jpg