Shocks/ lowering springs question

Slacker

So the story goes.....I took my car to a "shop" to get new shocks put in. that was at 101k miles on the car. the shock were excel shocks. I am at 120k miles on those shocks with lowering springs. I took the car to subaru to get it inspected to correct a negative camber in the back paserger wheel. its at -.04 now. Subaru says that all 4 of my shocks that are less than 19k miles are shot and need to be replaced. also that bad wheel has a bent shock. I would like to know how long shocks with lowering spings will last? The can of worms that might be is that the SHOP charged me for shocks and it is possiable that nothing was done to the car at all. that is something im looking into now. Thanks for you imput in advance.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What does your receipt say?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Slacker

What are you looking for in the receipt. If there is a wat to post a pdf here I can just post it. it says that all 4 were replaced on 5-11-2015 price and all that jaz.. They are under warrenty and I will most likley just use that to get them replaced.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Did you take it back to them?

Slacker

not yet the car is still at Subaru getting some work done. Just found out today that it might be possible that the work was never performed. " from the other shop in question" I have a paper trail that im looking into over the next few days. Once I get the car back i am going to put it in the air and pull a shock and match up the paper work with what comes out the car. if not then
I probly have a nice lawsuit on my hands. the question I had eariler was " how long will struts and shock last with lowering springs?" I know the life is shortened but how much? Im just gathering info so i can be better prepared in the future.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We never dealt with anything like that to be honest.

What springs did you use?

Slacker

honestly I have no clue. they were in the car when I bought it. I did puy KYb excell shocks and struts in the car. well at least thats what I paid for. lol I dont want to put the shop on blast but the shocks are not the only work they did to the car that the dealership is stating is bad. now I understand that all shops in theory are out to make money. I am basically figuring out who is being honest with me and what was done to the car. just seems weird to me that I replace shocks, tie rod ends and have it alined, then subaru tells me that all the work that was done basically was not done. seems fishy!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Have them show you. You have that right to see it.

Slacker

Yeah I asked to have the old shocks and other parts back but never got them. I looked under the car when they were installed but was not able to tell with the car on the ground.. life happened and forgot about it. my bad on that part.
they seemed to have the additude like what you don't trust us that we did it. honestly the guy was a D bag in my opinion. Thinking back I should have raised hell. guess I will now if it turns out to be the case.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ask Subaru to see the car and the bad parts installed.

Slacker

yeah i'll do that tomorrow. im stopping by there anyways to drop off some paperwork from the other shop so they have what was done and can inspect weather or not it was done. Ill see if i can get pics as well. Ha I have a $700.00 camera that I hardly ever use. put that thing to good use lol.