sub frame question

04stiwagon

Im about to start swapping over everything from my 05 sti into my 04 wrx wagon. Long story short, sti got hit and totalled from the rear, purchased the wagon, got the sti back from salvage to swap over. My question is, can the sti sub frames, front and rear, be bolted directly onto the wagon chasis?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good question. We never did that, but others might know.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What do you mean by subframe? Are you talking about the GIANT "C" or "U" shaped brace? If so, my guess would be yes.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i would say best way to go about this would be to get under both cars and see what each sub frame looks like and if they r at least similar, measure distance between bolt locations and see if they match up. if they look the same shape-wise then i doubt Subaru would spend the extra money to make 2 different sub frames that are that similar. its either gunna b exactly the same or clearly different in my opinion but i could be wrong. remember car manufacturers want to spend the least amount of money building the car so if they can use the same parts for various models they will. especially something as close as another "impreza"

04stiwagon

I figured that would be the case. I am just assuming they are the same. Ive looked at both and they seem very similar. Replacing the entire sub frame seems to be the easiest way to switch over the hubs, brakes, etc.
Thank you.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
I would have to agree with u there.. I would also replace the bushings and such while u have everything apart with polyurethane