Thinking Ahead: Anything to Consider Besides Dunlop Star Specs?

icudruln

I was reading around, and it got me to thinking....my Star Specs are at 6/32 now, and I anticipate replacing around mid-late summer. Is there anything else to consider, or should I stick with em again? I've love all around response; handling, cornering, rain, launching...even in light snow they were fine.

The only tires that I feel worthy of considering are the Bridgestone Re-11, Yokohama Advan AD08...is there anything else to consider for a street tire?

In terms of cost versus benefits, the Star Spec is about $50-$70 cheaper per tire (235/45R17) than the Bridgestone or Yokohama. Is it worth it?

Uses: Canyon spirited driving, soon to come autocross and a few HPDE events.

Paul.c

Honestly I have zero experience with any other tire besides the star specs. Having said that, I don't believe there to be a better tire for the price. I wouldn't consider anything else unless they were discounted (a lot). IMHO.

F

fixem2

Star SPecs are awesome tires and for the price really can't be beat. If you are using them to their full potential then you can't go wrong. I ran Stars with my Evo and switched to Hankook Evo's, even though they had a higher treadwear, I felt I did not use the Stars to full potential.

icudruln

I'd stick with the Star Specs. If you like them them why risk spending more on something that probably will dissapoint you.:D

How many miles do you have on them (just curious).

That's exactly how I see it J. Cost vs benefits are great when it comes to the Star Spec. So far, I've put about 9k on em. Tires are at 6/32 all the way around. I expect a good 15k on em, before they start to get sloppy. I usually replace tires at 3 1/2 to 4/32.

beepbeep

Star SPecs are awesome tires and for the price really can't be beat. If you are using them to their full potential then you can't go wrong. I ran Stars with my Evo and switched to Hankook Evo's, even though they had a higher treadwear, I felt I did not use the Stars to full potential.

how do u like the hancook evo's? Im thinkin bout trying those out since im gettin new tires next week.

F

fixem2

Only drove on them for a few weeks, then blew the motor on the Evo. I didn't notice any difference in ride or grip on ramps etc... Reason I got the Hankooks over the Star's was price and i didn't believe I was going to push the car to 10/10's to notice a difference. I will say both tires are pretty wide when compared to others of the same measurments.

sti6yr

Hankook RS-3's are an awesome tire. they are cheaper to boot as long as you buy them from discount tire direct and not Tire-rack.