Tire shopping

Good morning from the northeast guys,

I got some rims somewhat recently, found a good deal on some ambits, I am now shopping for tires. I am specifically looking to see how wide of a tire I can go, (I am willing to roll/flare fenders) on the rim size 18x9.5 I was just told that some 255 width tires will fit on stock from a local tire shop but I would like to see if I can get some raised white lettering on the outside wall of my tires to be. I am interested in either hancook, Michelin, maybe some yokohama advans to peel on for next summer. Just looking for a push in the right direction. Thanks for your help.
P.S. I have a 2008 STI with stock shocks struts and springs right now but I am going to swap with a set of 2011 shocks and struts off a limited STI (little stiffer than mine, and less mileage) and putting some race comp engineering regular guy lowering springs (about a max of 1/2 inch drop)
Thanks again.
Noah

Boosted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So you want to know how wide a tire will fit under the fenders on a stock suspension?

Off the top of my head 255 might be pushing it depending on the exact tire, but I would think a 245 would have a very reasonable chance of fitting.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
it will also depend on how much of an offset those wheels have.. the lower the offset the closer the outside edge of the wheel will be to the fender and the smaller tire you are going to fit without modification to the fenders. i would get the suspension in and decide on your roll/fender flare option before you purchase tires. then you will be able to see one the wheel is mocked up how much room you have to fit a tire.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i had a 14 WRX (same body as yours) that was pretty much slammed running a 18x8.5 +55 offset with 25mm spacers making it a +30 offset running a 245/45/18 that needed a bit of camber to fit right. with the drop you are doing i imagine you could run 255 with no problem depending on the offset of your wheels

again i would mount the wheel on the car with no tire and see how much room you have to play with. that will give you a pretty good idea

UPDATE

So I test fitted the new ambits today I am definitely going to have to roll and flare the front fenders a little but I am going to go with some 2553518's and I think they will sit just about flush in the rear. I already got a good quote on some hancook Ventus rubber. I will post more as I get closer.

846b6b8d63b36313e591c609c2e9df7e.jpg
ea96feaf02e72e7b7ac46712ebbe6b86.jpg

Thanks again for all the help

I'm not really sure I would think bolt on I just don't want to do anything too crazy wide so when snow season rolls around the winter tires and rims don't look like donuts. I am planning on finding a good body shop to flare and re paint some stuff in the spring

Yeah I know that. I just know some body shops will roll and flare your stock fenders. I have seen some bolt on flares don't stick out crazy far

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
yea fender rolling is pretty easy but thats when you need a little more room. good luck with it let us know if you have more questions. we are here to help

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Extra camber (with bolts and/or plates) could help tuck the top in to clear your fenders

Yeah that's an option, I'm not a big fan of cars on their tippie toes though. I think I'm just gonna go the flare route and still get some fatter rubber on the road. I'll post more when I have it

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah that's an option, I'm not a big fan of cars on their tippie toes though. I think I'm just gonna go the flare route and still get some fatter rubber on the road. I'll post more when I have it

Well if you only run 3 degrees of camber (really not that much!) it tucks the top of the wheel in about .57" (assuming it's about 11" from the centerbore to the top of the tire...18" rim divided by 2, add 2" for tire). .57" is a lot of extra clearance!

For reference, ~3 degrees:
P1010523-2.jpg

True statement, thanks for all the help and I will be updating with pictures and news as milestones arrive