To plasti-dip or no?????

inferno19d

2012-08-21_15-11-52_670.jpg2012-08-21_15-16-43_197.jpg

Ok, I plasti-dipped my right rear stock BBS rim. Much to my surprise the plasti-dip actually looked good and stuck, even through a high pressure wash. Now, I would like as many opinions on this topic as I can get. I do understand that powder coating is the best, a lass I do not have the extra fundage to get this done. I am also thinking that plasti-dip will help protect against rock chips and other daily driving debris along with getting my rims black.:tard:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I say go for it!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Also brake dust doesn't seem to stick to plastidip. At least that's what Vermont told me. But I say go for it.

How would one remove it though?

Vermont

DO not powder coat your stock BBS rims. There has been quite a lot of talk about how the curing heat of the powder coat is right around the tempering temperature of the BBS alloy. No one knows for certain but why take the risk. Also you dramatically reduce the value of the rims if you ever want to sell them or your car. Plasti dip is cheap to apply and easy to remove (just make sure and do 4-5 thick coats) as it just peels off. It is rugged as hell and resistant to brake dust, so no more pitted rims from caustic brake dust (like my rims). Also if you don't like the colors that dipyourcar.com offers and want something wild, you can use the plasti dip as a primer and spray paint over it. Then when you want to change wheel colors you just peel off the plasti dip and the spray paint on top will come with it.

Plasti dip will not harm your wheels in any way, and will in fact help protect them against chips, minor curbage, and brake dust.

inferno19d

here are the first 2 that i did today. I also realized that you have to make sure the rims are really clean. The areas where the plasti-dip is around the lugs keeps ripping off, not just in a little but its like its not adhering in that area. So I will have to try again.. but here is the current picture.View attachment 3137

inferno19d

To remove it is easy, I peeled off most of it and then just used goo gone or adhesive removal for the rest, worked like a charm.

inferno19d

So after completing all 4 wheels here is what I learned.

1. The cleaner the rims the better. Use an alcohol base cleaning solution, especially if you have ever shined/ polished your rims or tires.
2. If you can do it on a lift it will make it easier to do all the wheels at once.
3. Just like the uTube videos state you can over spray on your tires. Just make sure that you spray enough to be able to peel it off the tires.
4. If you make a mistake use same rubbing alcohol solution on your finger (gloves if you need) and rub it over that spot, you can smooth out almost any mistake.
5. Ensure that you check the rim before you mount it to ensure that you have covered all areas equally.
6. Now, with the areas around where the lugs tighten if you fail to clean the area properly or don't spray enough it will break loose as you tighten your lugs, I taped the holes so no plasti-dip was in that location. Once I sprayed the rest of the rim I mounted them and tightened all lugs. I then resprayed the entire center of the wheel. This prevents any issues with the plasti-dip ripping off when tightening the lugs.
7. The last and final stage is to check one more time with everything mounted. You can spray minor areas with the tires mounted, just watch for over spray on the rotor.

Vermont

I tossed my track wheels on the STI and took my Stock BBS wheels over and cleaned them down with industrial strength degreaser which along with a rim cleaner i had laying around (another spray on bottle) I just hosed them down with a power washer, dried them off with a old towel and started spraying. I did have the misfortune of it raining while I was applying the last coat, what ended up happening is that if you get real close you can see tiny little dimple marks all over the wheel. Since it is plasti dip I just said fuck it and left them like that and tossed them on the car. It's not like any one will be able to tell with all the road dirty and crap on them, as I now have a perfectly good reason not to wash my wheels anymore.

Busker

After watching the videos and realizing my buddies prep work on his diesel was bad and thats what caused his peeling, I am debating on PD'ing my car. Im def very intrigued.

inferno19d

With this being the first time I have done this; I do have imperfections on the rims, i.e. texture and a couple small dimples. With that being said, you can not tell unless you are right up on the rim looking at it. I love the flat black look and the added protection the plasti-dip adds. Now I did take it to the car wash and spray it down and as long as you don't go after it with an industrial size pressure washer it will hold and look good.