Transmission Fluid Swap, Will it blow the seals?

Z1107

I have heard either or when it comes to this so I figured I would ask people who know Subarus best. If you flush your tranny fluid and pour in new tranny fluid will your tranny explode?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
No... Just use what Subaru recommends as a replacement. The best oil so far for our transmissions is the OE Subaru oil. Other brands have gotten mixed results but the OE oils always have one result... They work.

NEVER use royal purple in your drive train. I read about more people having problems shifting with that stuff in the trany.

Z1107

Thanks. A couple of my mechanic friends told me once a car hits 100k you can't swap w/o blowing seals.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Stay with Subaru oil like Holy said. It works best for our cars.

icudruln

Subaru OE fluid definitely works well. Personally, I swapped to Motul fluid when I flushed the tranny, and have preferred it over the Subaru fluid. In regards to blowing seals if you flush the tranny, if that was true, you could never change the transmission fluid. :D

DKDunn04

On older cars where they actually hook up a machine to "flush" the trans, it can blow seals, but you will be fine with a drain and fill.