Tuning random thoughts

So I was wondering as I was driving home, would my STi be more fuel efficient at highway speeds if it was tuned for more torque or more HP. Diesel trucks and coaches are torque monster and no matter how much weight the are pulling it doesn't seem to phase them fuel economy wise. Can you even tune a car to be almost all torque and no HP and visa-versa, or do you have to do it with hard parts. Just random thoughts what do you guys think

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It will be very dependent on how the engine is configured. Heads, shapes of valves, camshafts and their duration, lift, overlap, etc. crankshafts, the size and weight of it. Engine rpm range. Pistons their design, clearances and tolerances. Oil pressure, flow and type if oil. Timing. Exhaust manifolds, length and size and how the flow into each other's primaries or the exhaust pipes/ turbo. The exhaust pipe size and length and the muffler... how much back pressure being produced. Intake size and where the air is being taken from.

Generally the larger the engine displacement and it's stroke will set the ground for torque potential.

And I don't think you can truly have one without the other. Hp vs. torque.

Not saying not have any hp and all torque, just focus on one over the other with fuel economy in mind. From what I have gathered from the inter web is that a car running at it's peak torque is more fuel efficient than a car running at its peak horsepower. So my thought is could I tune my car to have the torque and not focus on the hp in the higher rpm's. Would that be unsafe? What does Cobb due in their fuel economy map.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not saying not have any hp and all torque, just focus on one over the other with fuel economy in mind. From what I have gathered from the inter web is that a car running at it's peak torque is more fuel efficient than a car running at its peak horsepower. So my thought is could I tune my car to have the torque and not focus on the hp in the higher rpm's. Would that be unsafe? What does Cobb due in their fuel economy map.

Never ran it but i read that it doesnt allow any boost. If it does its minimal. Someone can chime in.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You could put a small, fast spooling turbo on the car that would make peak boost at 2200 rpms or less,
block off the bypass valve with a plate and rev limit the engine to 3250 rpms.

Now you have a motor that makes low end torque, very little horsepower with a diesel-esqe powerband. :rofl: :tard::fuji::justkiddin:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You could put a small, fast spooling turbo on the car that would make peak boost at 2200 rpms or less,
block off the blow off valve plate and rev limit the engine to 3250 rpms.

Now you have a motor that makes low end torque, very little horsepower with a diesel-esqe powerband. :rofl: :tard::fuji::justkiddin:

We will use your car as a test mule. :tup: