Turbo Version of Subaru BRZ?s FA-Series Engine Debuts

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I already knew that, lol.

Z1107

Maybe it was the switch to a Subaru designed direct injection system over the Toyota designed system.

Vermont

I wonder what the potential for power on these motors will be. If they go with a closed deck block and forged internals we might be looking at our own version of the 4G63. From everything I have been reading and researching on the BRZ, it already uses the STi 6 speed and STI rear axles so the drive line sounds like it is capable of handling the power. I really do wonder what type of power this motor will be capable of with a good set of forged internals and low comp pistons (the current FA in the BRZ). One of the inherent weakness of the EJ257 has always been the stroke to Bore ration, much to large of a bore and too short of a stroke. I am wondering if we could start to see some really nasty high reving big power out of this smaller FA motor.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I wonder what the potential for power on these motors will be. If they go with a closed deck block and forged internals we might be looking at our own version of the 4G63. From everything I have been reading and researching on the BRZ, it already uses the STi 6 speed and STI rear axles so the drive line sounds like it is capable of handling the power. I really do wonder what type of power this motor will be capable of with a good set of forged internals and low comp pistons (the current FA in the BRZ). One of the inherent weakness of the EJ257 has always been the stroke to Bore ration, much to large of a bore and too short of a stroke. I am wondering if we could start to see some really nasty high reving big power out of this smaller FA motor.

I like your thinking Vermont!

Vermont

Just to let you all know if you haven't seen the Greddy drift BRZ then you might want to check it out. Looks like they tossed in an STI motor into it, more specifically a Cosworth CW600. They are claiming 600whp but on the 25g they have on the car I am kinda doubting that, but then again they are probably using alky or race gas so I guess it might be possible. What I do find funny is a lot of the stuff on the drift car is straight off the shelf parts you can buy online. I was kinda expecting more custom parts since the car still hasent even been released yet in the states but it looked like the EJ257 they had in the car first was a damn near direct bolt up and go. Was hard to see the engine mounts, but was not noticing anything funking going on with them. I think the BRZ and FRS with a EJ257 swap is going to be a staple of power making for these cars, at least until the new boosted FA comes out. Personally I am rather curious as to see how much direct port injection helps with power.

Interesting.... A source of mine said Subaru had failed with three separate configurations of turbocharged FA motors. I wonder what they actually changed to keep them from blowing at 30k miles.... Guess SOA is as dumb as I thought.

Well... I know what the first thing driveline wise will be that I'll be making a conversion kit for... Weakest part of it all... bahahahahahah

Wait.... So the new engine blows up too.

Damn it all!

Vermont

The new 2.0 turbo will be available in September in the new 2013 WRX. Hopefully it won't blow up.

Where you hear this? As I think I might go and check out one of the WRX's on the show room floor then and maybe test drive it too see how they stack up.