Z33 build

blown_RS

Now I know this is a Subaru forum, but this is my current project that I need to finish so that I can lay waste to my GC8.

Now a little bit of a back story first, I bought the car back in 2008 and at the time it was supercharged with a Vortech V2 blower and the FMU from Vortech, I was putting down 278/268. Not bad but after getting beat by an EVO I decided that I needed moar powa!!!!! So I ordered a smaller pully, bigger injectors, Walbro, and a Utec. Got everything put on and tuned and put down 358/303... 255623_484893277915_510617915_6032578_6154262_n.jpg
Everything was fine and dandy till the motor gave up and I lost compression across the entire right bank or my motor :( but I was getting ready to deploy and I had wanted to do a full build, this only forced my hand lol.

A friend of mine was opening a shop and convinced me that he would take care of me and get my build done by the time I returned from deployment. Long story short my friend and the shop owner had a bit of a falling out and in the shuffle of them moving my car was forgotten about :roll:. I came back to an unfinished car and they had used the motor that I paid for to put in the shop owners sons car :x not cool... they finished the car, but I had to stay on top of them everyday for the next 10 months. I get the car back and then this happens on the street, at idle, after the beating on the dyno from tuning DSCN0367.jpgDSCN0366.jpg
WTF :banghead: so get the cams fixed and get the car back and then put it back on the dyno and low and behold something else fails... the oil pump... so there goes the turbos... and instead of taking it back to the shit heads that built it I decided that it was time to take matters into my own hands. So armed with my Hanes manual and several years on the Z forums I started the removal of my motor DSCN0491.jpgDSCN0476.jpg

got the turbos pulled off and sent them to a friend in FL to have some "custom" work done to them, they started life as GT2871's but when I get them back in the next few weeks they will be something else :tard:.
So now she sits, just waiting for more parts to come in so that I can keep moving forward. I'll update this as I get more parts and get it all back together and re-tuned (which by the way I know that most of you guys will love this, I'm running Hydra in the GC8, which I'll start another thread on later when I get this car finished, and in my Z :D makes learning/tuning myself much easier.)

:cheers:
Tony

blown_RS

Oil pump and power steering pump came in yesterday :D going to get the torque wrench today and hope to get the long block put together tonight...

blown_RS

12-22-11

HAHA got the torque wench today :tard: long block is going together right now, oil pump is on, now the fun starts

Last edited:

blown_RS

Well, Murphy stikes agian :( started to assemble the long block and broke a bolt off in the timing cover, so its one step forward and two steps back lol. thankfully I can remove the rear timing cover and the bolt is out of the block far enough that it shouldnt be too bad to take out.

On a possitive note, the turbos are under the knife and I'm hoping to get them back in the first week or so of JAN :D

wo^tron

I always liked the zs! I almost bought a built/turboed z33 one before I started looking into STis, it was a hard thing to pass off
Best of luck to you with your quest of building it, they are definately fun cars and the look/sound awesome too

Vermont

Have you thought of going triple charged? I looked at a twin turbo 3000gt with a roots style super charger on it and man did it haul ass.... Just food for though.. BTW that is going to be one sick ass ride man.

blown_RS

Get rid of it!!!

Eat s*** and die MF!!! haha just kiddin, but really, its not going anywere....

Got my new IVT covers last night, and got ahold of my turbo builder as well things are starting to come together :D Got the long block assembled for all intents and purposes, just need to add the snails and plumb up my oil and coolant lines then it all goes back into the car

I havent looked into triple charging, but I dont think that its really going to help my build any, I'm running two GT2871 style turbos, so when I jump all in it, I'm getting peak boost some place around 3500 or 3600...

blown_RS

So I haven't updated this in a while but I have good news to report this week :D one: the long block is all put together and ready for the turbos, two: the turbos are arrived at the shop last week and went under the knife this morning and should be ready to go by next week and in the mail on their way back to my place whoop whoop!

As soon as the turbos are back on all I have to do is plum them up and drop it in the car and put it on the rollers and work out the bugs :D

blown_RS

The turbos are here and on the car, ran into a bit of a snag getting the O2 housing to fit but nothing a little brute force and ignorance couldnt fix :tard:

Tomorrow I'll be hunting down oil drain flanges and or -AN lines and fitting. Once I have all that I can put the block back in the car and fire it up and cross my fingers that it doesnt eat itself...

blown_RS

So the latest development in the saga that is this build, my buddy that rebuilt my turbos cracked open the old ones to discover that the center sections were gummed up with silicone... WTF who the fuck does shit like that... well needless to say the block comes back apart to have the oil passages cleaned out. I didnt do it the first time because my original thought was that the oil pump died thus starving the turbos... no need to clear them out too. This does make sense though, as to why my IVT system (Nissan version of VTEC) didnt work, provided that i find something all gummed up in there in theory it will fix those problems as well...

Stay tuned to next weeks episode were I should have all my oil/cooling fittings and the block together AGAIN :tard:

Tony

blown_RS

Geeze... what a bunch of tards

Yeah bro, tell me about it...

as promised this weeks episode includes the routing off all my oil and coolant line to and from the turbos :) now I'm just waiting for the local machine shop to open up so I can get my spacer milled so I can get the drivers side turbo mounted up for the last time. Also got my injector harness fixed, I had to de-pin it where it mates up to the main harness because one of the wires broke inside the connector...

Fuji - you still got those DR's that I can borrow for a day, I'm still going to make a trip down there I think when I finish her off...

blown_RS

WTF is Tapatalk? hahaha

In other news both snails are mounted and all the plumbing is routed the right way and a mock up of the charge pipes and intake pipes revile that everything will go together much nicer and will no half assing like the last group of fuckwagons that put the car together. not to mention i wont have any silicon in the center sections... there is a small chance that it will run under its own power with-in a week :D

blown_RS

ahhhhh.....

In other news, THE MOTOR IS IN!!!!!!! pics to follow very soon, bout to show and get some sleep before work tomorrow, may try and get it buttoned up this weekend and try and key it up even. fingers crossed she starts right up, the map should be close enough to start and drive at low load.

blown_RS

yeah, i'm still up in the air if i want to try and tune it or not lol... but it may take a little longer than expected lol, there is a small chance that i put the O2 housings on backwards, like swapped sides backwards. :tard:

But I get out hella early tomorrow so I can get it taken care of pretty quickly lol

blown_RS

well i'm done fucking with the thing, pulling the VQ in favor of an LS V8.... anybody interested in the VQ or parts, or know of a good LS motor and T56 transmission that I can pick up for a good price? :( i hate my life and this car hahahaha

blown_RS

well lots of stuff has happened since my last post on here, which was quite a long time ago. I've since calmed down and pulled the motor again and tore it down and pulled the heads, flushed out the oiling system, removed all sorts of extra RTV on all the mating surfaces and redone all the shady shit that the previous "shop" did. I didnt realize how many corners they cut when they put my motor together :x fucking bullshit...

But in a more up beat mind frame, the turbos are good to go, they have been refitted with JB centers vice the BB centers, the GT2871 wheels have been stuffed into GT25 exhaust housings that have been machined, and the fins themselves have been machined to provide retarded fast response and still good to support 25 psi. I just ordered my AN lines and fittings that should be here next week; the long block is buttoned back up for the third time, and right now I'm in the process of working a deal for a new MAF and tuning solution. Think that this is the final time I'm going to put this damn thing together (crosses fingers)

Thanks for checking in on my stuff guys, hope to have numbers for you guys soon...

Tony

Z1107

Hope everything works out so you can start on the GC8

!WARNING! This poster is not liable for any person being butthurt by comments. Protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act for being somewhat retarded! ;)