Home distillers! Any one here tried making their own rum at home?

Bluedemon_II

Very soon I will try to attempt a bigger scale distilling project to make Rum. Any one here has any experience in the subject? I have all the technical knowledge as I have 6 credits on alcoholic fermentation, but I find that often street smarts yield a better product when it comes to this things.

This is for personal family college use mind you. :tard:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have not but I would like to distill my own ethanol at some point in my life

Bluedemon_II

all US territories fall under the same federal laws.

Still as we have our own constitution and yadayadayada we can produce 144 gallons per year for our "personal" use.

With this clarified, I think I will start a pot still. For this purpose I find it easier since the fermenter also plays as the destination apparatus. I have made some test on small scale 1 gallon fermentation bezels, using B vitamin complex and Urea to speed the fermentation process up to 50% vs molasses and yeast.

Holy, for fuel ethanol you should use an external reflux still. It can make Vodka and 95% or so ethanol. I have the Pdf some where to build one. Quite a nice read.

Casper86

I made really strong coconut rum before:
take a few coconuts, drill small holes and drain.

make a mix of sugar, water, small amount of 151 bacardi and yeast. I forgot the ratios

funnel into coconuts and seal with candle wax.

bury 1- 1 1/2 ft underground in sandy soil for approx 1 month.

strain with pantyhose, obtain 1-2lbs high purity activated carbon from an aquarium shop. fill a pvc pipe with the carbon cap end off with panty hose.

drip the product over the carbon filled PVC at a rate of 40 drops per min, x2.

smoothest 90 proof coconut rum ever !