What to do??

jdogsmith

Alright im going to keep this short and sweet. I have a 2000 outback been chilling with for a bit now and love it alot, but i have really been wanting to come across a sti to step into. Just had a couple questions as how to find a ideal subie. For interest best site to find new or used sti/wrxs?and what is a good price to put a down payment on a new one? At age 18 should i wait awhile till i start looking or is it best to keep browsing to maybe come across one? Kinda overwhelmed on wanting one so bad its killing me. Not sure if im rushing into it or really im just looking on advice on how to obtain an sti/wrx the right way i guess. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks:):(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, let's see now.

Are you going to be paying the entire car yourself or is someone going to help you?
At 18, I'm going to assume a parent is going to cosign you a loan and you just pay the payments on it. (This is what I did)
At 18, a bank is not going to give you a loan, and if they do, it's going to be with a really high interest rate.

How much are you willing to spend on a WRX/STi? The budget is going to affect what your availability is. (year, mileage, ect)

will you be trading in the Outback and using the money as a down payment?

What is the purpose of the vehicle going to be? At 18, I'm assuming it's going to be your daily driver. Now, this brings up the question: Do you really need an STi or is a WRX going to suffice?

Those are some things to consider before going anymore advanced with this. I'm sure the other guys will be chiming in as well since they've been through this same process. :lol:

jdogsmith

Well i would be paying the car myself and yes i would have a parent cosign. The payments would be all my responsibility though. Ok and the bank is not going to be a big help with this then i assume is what your saying? Trading in the outback is what i would probably do, would be the best idea i think. Yes, the purpose would be a daily driver. And that is what i have been thinking, a wrx is obviously cheaper and more affortable in my position, that would seem to be the better route.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well i would be paying the car myself and yes i would have a parent cosign. The payments would be all my responsibility though. Ok and the bank is not going to be a big help with this then i assume is what your saying? Trading in the outback is what i would probably do, would be the best idea i think. Yes, the purpose would be a daily driver. And that is what i have been thinking, a wrx is obviously cheaper and more affortable in my position, that would seem to be the better route.

If your parents are cosigning then thats the best way to do it cause im sure they have good creit and would get a low APR. I meant if you were gonna go to the bank by yourself. :lol:

I would suggest a WRX since its more affordable but its all up to you and what deals you happen to come across!

jdogsmith

Ya having them cosign seems to be a good move, just gotta convince them first haha. WRX seems like a good idea and ya it just seems to be coming across the right deal at the right time. thanks alot for the advice appreciate it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ya having them cosign seems to be a good move, just gotta convince them first haha. WRX seems like a good idea and ya it just seems to be coming across the right deal at the right time. thanks alot for the advice appreciate it.

Yep. You could always find that one STi at the right price! Keep looking! Dont rush into anything.

Hmm this leads me to wondering if we have a checklist on the forum for what to look for when buying a car. Ill look into it when i get home! :tup:

jdogsmith

Yep im trying to not rush anything just taking it slow, but its just so tempting haha. And ya that would be cool having a checklist on what exactly to look for good stuff:D

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Do you have access to tools and space?

I might look around for a somewhat neglected STI (or even WRX or base Impreza) and put the work into fixing her up. It'd give you some really nice insight into the car, and an appreciation for it. Depending on the price of the shell and condition of it, you could very well end up saving money on it. Even if you dont, it'd give you a chance to buy the STI piece by piece.

Just a thought.

jdogsmith

I can have access to tools and space yes. Doesnt seem like a bad idea depending with money and price with everything ya that could be an idea if you do happen to find anything just message me that would be cool, thanks man

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Prices are a bit high IMO, but it is the city after all. Maybe look further away....or in Kenosha, WI or Indiana maybe.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You need to check insurance rates before you even consider this. Your insurance, at your age, can easily outpace the car payment. I have seen as high as 6000 a year, depending on locale and other factors.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You need to check insurance rates before you even consider this. Your insurance, at your age, can easily outpace the car payment. I have seen as high as 6000 a year, depending on locale and other factors.

Well isnt that what his parents are for?! :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Well isnt that what his parents are for?! :lol:

Insurance under parents policy can also make all increase. They may not want that. Even then, a cut rate may still be rather expensive.
The fact is that the STi is one of the highest insured automobiles out there. This really needs to be looked at.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Insurance under parents policy can also make all increase. They may not want that. Even then, a cut rate may still be rather expensive.
The fact is that the STi is one of the highest insured automobiles out there. This really needs to be looked at.

Seriously?! I've never met anyone or seen online that under the person's parents' insurance, the rate was still high! Under my parents' insurance, I pay $600 every half year, that's $100 a month. I didn't bother to check the rates as if it were going to be insured under my name just to prevent a heart attack!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Seriously?! I've never met anyone or seen online that under the person's parents' insurance, the rate was still high! Under my parents' insurance, I pay $600 every half year, that's $100 a month. I didn't bother to check the rates as if it were going to be insured under my name just to prevent a heart attack!

Not saying all do that just saying that it can happen.
Not trying to be a negative person here just saying that this area should be addressed, that's all.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not saying all do that just saying that it can happen.
Not trying to be a negative person here just saying that this area should be addressed, that's all.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best."
:tup: