Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, how do you guys shave? :lol:

I'm looking into straight razors! :shock:

Grinder34

Track Monkey

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
When I was in the Navy and had to be clean shaven all the time, I used to use a Gillette Fusion (the 5-bladed heads). My skin is kind of weird, where if I use shaving cream or even water, my skin swells. And that just pulls the trimmed whisker beneath the surface, where it gets stuck and causes red bumps and in-grown hairs. So I actually dry shaved with a 5-blade razor for years.

Eventually, I got myself a Braun Series 7 electric shaver which is great. I've even used it to re-shave my head (down from ~1/8" stubble) many times. And it's what I still use now for shaving my neck and trimming around my beard. They come with a charging dock that also offers automated cleaning, provided that you load the cartridges of cleaning solution.

I highly recommend this shaver over any of the 3-circular head style Remingtons on the market. Those things blow.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I used an electric shaver my entire life. I'm trying Dollar Shave Club right now with the cartridge. I like it more than the electric turds I've used, however, I will be ordering a straight razor in the next couple of days. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I got a straight razor back in August and have only been using that. It took quite a few tries until I got the hang of it, but it's amazing! However, I haven't shaved in almost a month and am growing out a beard. I'm looking into oils, balms, waxes, combs, and other crap.... @Batmobile_Engage , do you use any products?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I got a straight razor back in August and have only been using that. It took quite a few tries until I got the hang of it, but it's amazing! However, I haven't shaved in almost a month and am growing out a beard. I'm looking into oils, balms, waxes, combs, and other crap.... @Batmobile_Engage , do you use any products?

I use "Fresh Beards" Beard Butter. It seems to be about the best stuff I've tried so far.
I used to buy "Honest Amish" though it is a little bit too oily for me most of the time.

I have a softened boar hair brush and a small comb. The comb mostly gets used when trimming, or after I get out of the shower and put in beard butter. Helps detangle and even spread the balm.

Put in more butter than you think you need when it is still warm and moist. Then 10 minute later, wipe off the excess with a damp washcloth and brush thoroughly. That'll make sure its fully absorbed without leaving lots of residue on your face.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I use "Fresh Beards" Beard Butter. It seems to be about the best stuff I've tried so far.
I used to buy "Honest Amish" though it is a little bit too oily for me most of the time.

I have a softened boar hair brush and a small comb. The comb mostly gets used when trimming, or after I get out of the shower and put in beard butter. Helps detangle and even spread the balm.

Put in more butter than you think you need when it is still warm and moist. Then 10 minute later, wipe off the excess with a damp washcloth and brush thoroughly. That'll make sure its fully absorbed without leaving lots of residue on your face.

I'm going to try the Amish Beard Wax first, as it was listed a top product on almost every comparison article I looked at. I'll look at Fresh Beards as well, though. :tup:

Will this comb and brush from Walmart be fine? (The reason is that Walmart has everything that I'm looking to purchase at the moment.)

88a4aa02-a57e-4dbe-9b47-c1835d255be0_1.9e9e01523c81f55a4ef02421ad799599.jpeg

7557fa4d-8c1d-4c42-bed9-5ca1dccbb080_1.5c00c305987f85d23c29a7623df5f4df.jpeg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Unfathomable! Nearly every Walmart that I have gone to are sold out of beard products!! What the fuck is going on?! Beard epidemic?! :rofl: I managed to find the Amish Beard Wax and a Cremo wooden comb last night at the 4th Walmart I went to, though. I need to get the Cremo Bristle Boar brush and I also want to buy some Amish Beard Balm as well. I need to compare wax to balm. Balm may be better now in the earlier phases when my beard is shorter.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Generally speaking, waxes are for shaping a mustache. Either to keep it swept to each side (and out of your mouth) or to form a handlebar. Balms, butters and oils are for conditioning of the beard hairs and skin, and to suppress beard dandruff.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ryan, from what I've read, the beard wax keeps your beard even in the sense that you don't have the sides sticking out. Although, balms and butter may do the same trick, as you've said. Like this:

5FdPCiv.jpg

Brad, I've read many different regimes that people implement. Some people wash once a day, twice a day, and some once every couple of days. I'm coming to conclusion, like with most things now, that YOU have to find out what works best for YOU. This takes experimentation, trial, and error. You could nail it on the very first attempt or it could take you 73 different attempts to find what works best for you. Supposedly, any flaking or dandruff occurs because the skin is dry underneath. Like Ryan stated above, "Balms, butters and oils are for conditioning of the beard hairs and skin, and to suppress beard dandruff."

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, I finally managed to find the Amish Beard Balm and the Cremo boar bristle brush at Walmart... in Toledo, OH. :lmfao: It really does make a massive difference, wow... :tup:

Ryan, what else have you played around with? Any other specialty items that a beginner like me may not be aware of?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@batmobile_enagage , you never responded to my last question! ^

Month old question: Ryan, what else have you played around with? Any other specialty items that a beginner like me may not be aware of?

New questions:
-Have you ever braided your beard?
-Have you ever had any sort of clamps or bindings? (What do you even call those accessories to keep your beard in place. I've seen rubber bands, but I ain't 'bout that life! :lol: )

I'ts been almost 3 months now and I want to look into some viking styles for the upcoming months! :fuji:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
At the moment, nothing specific comes to mind that I haven't already mentioned. :unsure:

And no, I don't braid it. Even when it was reeeeeeally long.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk