2.5 litre engine issues... in the USA?

salsa-king

as above,

whats ppls thoughts on the 2.5 litre engine issue on the cars 2006/7 - on?

Is it a big problem over in the US?

what's peoples thoughts on the 'chocolate pistions'?

how have people addressed the 'failure rate' and over come it.

what do you think the real problem is??... neglect, wrong octain fuel, bad oil, bad driving.. bouncing off the red line?

do you forge in the US like we seem to be doing in the uk?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Subscribed. Interested to hear responses! :tup:

I think the stock tune was made to pass emissions, which in stock form accompanied by bad driving blows ring-lands. I feel that pro-tunes by good tuners is the best fix. I personally have went through the cracked ring-land issue, which I caused by bouncing off redline. I did a lot of logging with my Accessport before then and I would get the occasional knock at high RPM's when I was at Stage, so I feel that OTS maps from COBB should only be used to get you to the tuner after you have installed your parts. Stage 2 now with a pro-tune from AWDTuning and couldn't be happier.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I think the stock tune was made to pass emissions, which in stock form accompanied by bad driving blows ring-lands. I feel that pro-tunes by good tuners is the best fix. I personally have went through the cracked ring-land issue, which I caused by bouncing off redline. I did a lot of logging with my Accessport before then and I would get the occasional knock at high RPM's when I was at Stage, so I feel that OTS maps from COBB should only be used to get you to the tuner after you have installed your parts. Stage 2 now with a pro-tune from AWDTuning and couldn't be happier.

This is information that every new wrx or sti owner needs to know. I know a lot of people who wot quite often on stock and stage 1+2 maps. Unfortunately their cars arent very healthy.

I cant say that i didnt as well but i limited myself from wot. Ive never bounced off the rev limiter. That should be a huge no no for the average enthusiast who daily drives their car....

But there are people who install 2step and ect just to show off.

Answer me this: what purpose is there to bounce off the rev limiter? That i dont understand :(

Well The STi was my first 6 speed and first gear was gone before I knew it in the beginning. I only did it once or twice. But once is all it can take sometimes. When I cracked my ring-land it was at a track day, my brakes weren't up to snuff, overheated them and had nothing left. Had to down shift way down and bounced her off the limiter for a few seconds. It kept my from going off embankment which would not have ended well. If I had to answer for the masses I would say that bouncing off the rev-limiter on many other cars was never detrimental in the short term like it is on our subies. And for most the WRX or STi is their first true sports car if you will and have no ideas of the true dangers of such actions.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well The STi was my first 6 speed and first gear was gone before I knew it in the beginning. I only did it once or twice. But once is all it can take sometimes. When I cracked my ring-land it was at a track day, my brakes weren't up to snuff, overheated them and had nothing left. Had to down shift way down and bounced her off the limiter for a few seconds. It kept my from going off embankment which would not have ended well. If I had to answer for the masses I would say that bouncing off the rev-limiter on many other cars was never detrimental in the short term like it is on our subies. And for most the WRX or STi is their first true sports car if you will and have no ideas of the true dangers of such actions.

Ah well i can see your reasoning in your scenario which is logical. But im asking for the average wrx/sti owner who only dailys their car and does nothing else. Theres really no point right?

There is no point for sure especially sine our cars make most of there power on the low end. I have started to think that you should shift no later than 6k. But my opinion is that if you own an STi it shouldn't be driven like a Prius. Take her to the track, drag strip or auto-x event on occasion. And if you start liking to do it more and more than realize eventually shit is gonna break. You want a bullet proof car put forged pistons in, upgrade the turbo etc. oh and don't go having it tuned right up to the limits of those parts., scale it back a notch or two to ensure a little more life out of them. Just saying.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
There is no point for sure especially sine our cars make most of there power on the low end. I have started to think that you should shift no later than 6k. But my opinion is that if you own an STi it shouldn't be driven like a Prius. Take her to the track, drag strip or auto-x event on occasion. And if you start liking to do it more and more than realize eventually shit is gonna break. You want a bullet proof car put forged pistons in, upgrade the turbo etc. oh and don't go having it tuned right up to the limits of those parts., scale it back a notch or two to ensure a little more life out of them. Just saying.

Two stock sti. 40 mph roll. One shifts at 7k and one at 6k. Who would be ahead at 120mph?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I honestly don't know. Please share

Hahahahahaha i was asking you! :lol:

Id be curious to see that as well since you brought it up! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I remember fuji saying he thought the ringland issue was from knock at lower rpms, high load. Or something like that.

At my track days, I definitely shift before 7k...whats the point of "winning" unless you're racing. I lose no pride by getting passed on a straight by an STI that merely shifts higher than I do. There are no points at the end of the day, and my car will probably last longer. So there.

When I've raced my wife in her ISF I felt like running the revs up over 6 didn't help. Shifting at 6k or when I see my shift light which is probably more around 6200rpm, I felt I would pull her more. That is where the idea originated from. Oh and she can kick my ass still from a 70 roll

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The tune is one factor. Material quality of the pistons is another. EGT on cyl 2 and 4 because of unequal length header could be the third. This all outside of the guy who doesn't take care of the car or simply doesn't know any better.
As for bouncing of the rev limiter? A no no. It may seem that these cars don't have a soft rev limiter, meaning they may cut fuel or whatever at a dangerous rate.
As for when to shift? There is no reason on a stock internals, stock cam, stock everything else that would make her spin higher and bring power in the upper revs, because the power is simply not there. The power has already drastically taken a poo by that time. 5500 is a good number as a quick shift with a bit of throttle will keep the revs up.
Honestly, I tend to shift at 5k so I keep the engine in the peak torque since it is at 4200 or so. But I keep the shift light / warning chim at 5500.

Yeah I have been thinking that the headers are part of the problem. And on GR's the fuel system. Having to add fuel line or change the regulator to get rid of the 3k stumble is beyond ridiculous.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yeah I have been thinking that the headers are part of the problem. And on GR's the fuel system. Having to add fuel line or change the regulator to get rid of the 3k stumble is beyond ridiculous.

At the least, probably didn't help.

salsa-king

If you look at a rolling road graph you will see where peak torque is. It's never at the upper limit.