GD 2005 2.34 STi

FkinAllen

Had this car since January of 07
~75,000 miles

I used to have an tdo5 18g and i loved it, meth injection, DW 850cc 340 wtq 330 Whp

I only took it to the 1/8 mile and ran an 8.0324@90.62 with a bad 60' of 1.8

But soon after i wanted more power and went for a 20g and the motor blew on the dyno.

Not 100% sure on what happend but cylinder # 3 lost all compression so most likely ringland failed.

Went in on a group buy for on of MPS Destroker motor, it is the process of being built.

Havent decided on turbo or fuel, but i know i have to Upgrade my pump and convert to top feed injects regardless.

Engine/Drivetrain:
Sleeved ej 2.5 block
+4 mm Saenz rods
Custom JE psitons
75 mm WRX Crankshaft
ultimate racing rotated up/downpipe (t3)
Spec Stage 3 Clutch
Walbro 255
DW 850 cc Sidefeeds
Godspeed FMIC

Suspension:
Basic BC coilovers

Car got rear ended so I was able to pay a liltte extra ontop of insurance check and got the whole car resprayed, PSM on everything but the top of the trunk, spoiler, hood, and roof. Dont have any good pics that show it off yet though. But here are the pics i do have.

Whats the point of AWD if you're not going to use it!

Pulling the old motor out, that is the Spec Stage 3, 6 Puck clutch

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed. ;)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Wow, awesome!

I dont know much about motor builds, so what does the de-stroker offer vs a standard 2.5L?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Destrokes allow significant increase in red line. The issue that is often realized with large turbo applications is that they make peak boost in the upper RPM range. Add on top of that high duration cams and you shift the engines power band to the upper rpm range as well. To take advantage of this shift in power and boost you can employ the strategy of destroking to increase the engines red line capacity and run it right up to 9500 rpm with out a sweat.

Allot of builds have the large turbo and the high duration cams but they only have a 2000-3000 rpm window in which to take advantage of them. By extending your redline to 9500 rpm you just increased your usable range to a 4500-5500 rpm window of oportunity. An example would be at the 1/4 mile track... you launch and power and boost don't really hit untill 5500rpm and then you are shifting at 7500rpm. then you have to build the power again in the next gear and so on. In a destroked setup you shift at 9500 rpm and you spend more time in each gear. There is more to consider here though like gear ratios. Ideally you want to be in your 1:1 gear during most of a 1/4 mile run and in our cars that is 4th gear. In a destroked you will likely spend most of the race in third. But even that depend on power because if you have enough of it, you will likely be able to get through the gears quick enough to reach fourth and stay there.

The disadvantage to destroking is you lose some low end grunt and torque. Some people go in quite the opposite direction and stroke the motor and some of these kits are capable of reaching 10000 rpm but the stroker kits are extremely expensive. The advantage to the stroker kit is high rpm AND low end grunt. You would really have to do some research as to what stroker kits are rated for 9500+ rpm. Most people just go for the lower cost solution, which can run 9500 rpm all day, and destroke

We managed to build a destroked EJ several years ago and it was a modest 600 whp with 280 cams and a GT45R turbo. The thing was wiping the track with everything it went up against.

Last edited:

FkinAllen

Destrokes allow significant increase in red line. The issue that is often realized with large turbo applications is that they make peak boost in the upper RPM range. Add on top of that high duration cams and you shift the engines power band to the upper rpm range as well. To take advantage of this shift in power and boost you can employ the strategy of destroking to increase the engines red line capacity and run it right up to 9500 rpm with out a sweat.

Allot of builds have the large turbo and the high duration cams but they only have a 2000-3000 rpm window in which to take advantage of them. By extending your redline to 9500 rpm you just increased your usable range to a 4500-5500 rpm window of oportunity. An example would be at the 1/4 mile track... you launch and power and boost don't really hit untill 5500rpm and then you are shifting at 7500rpm. then you have to build the power again in the next gear and so on. In a destroked setup you shift at 9500 rpm and you spend more time in each gear. There is more to consider here though like gear ratios. Ideally you want to be in your 1:1 gear during most of a 1/4 mile run and in our cars that is 4th gear. In a destroked you will likely spend most of the race in third. But even that depend on power because if you have enough of it, you will likely be able to get through the gears quick enough to reach fourth and stay there.

The disadvantage to destroking is you lose some low end grunt and torque. Some people go in quite the opposite direction and stroke the motor and some of these kits are capable of reaching 10000 rpm but the stroker kits are extremely expensive. The advantage to the stroker kit is high rpm AND low end grunt. You would really have to do some research as to what stroker kits are rated for 9500+ rpm. Most people just go for the lower cost solution, which can run 9500 rpm all day, and destroke

We managed to build a destroked EJ several years ago and it was a modest 600 whp with 280 cams and a GT45R turbo. The thing was wiping the track with everything it went up against.

Yeah, the main reason i wanted this type of motor is my super short 05 gear set, in the quater mile i had to go into 5th to finish the race. and i do a lot of highway pulls, and would often start to slow down because of 5th gear. Now i can stay in 4th for 90% of the racing i do.

how was that gt45 on the street, Im not sure on waht turbo to get, I'm not to worried about a certain number except that i want to trap as close to 130 as possible in the 1/4. im thinking a bw 8875 or PTE 6266. not sure though, i still have some time to decide.

What worries me the most is finding a tuner that i can trust down here in texas.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah, the main reason i wanted this type of motor is my super short 05 gear set, in the quater mile i had to go into 5th to finish the race. and i do a lot of highway pulls, and would often start to slow down because of 5th gear. Now i can stay in 4th for 90% of the racing i do.

how was that gt45 on the street, Im not sure on waht turbo to get, I'm not to worried about a certain number except that i want to trap as close to 130 as possible in the 1/4. im thinking a bw 8875 or PTE 6266. not sure though, i still have some time to decide.

What worries me the most is finding a tuner that i can trust down here in texas.

Believe it or not the 45R was pretty drivable on the street. And I swear it had the same low end response and tourque as the EJ25, but I am only going by the but dyno.

Are you anywhere near Plano. Cobb is there. I don't know any other tuners in Texas.

FkinAllen

Believe it or not the 45R was pretty drivable on the street. And I swear it had the same low end response and tourque as the EJ25, but I am only going by the but dyno.

Are you anywhere near Plano. Cobb is there. I don't know any other tuners in Texas.

do you remember what the car trapped. this motor is good for north of 600 i beleive, but i dont really want all that. i just want a ~130 mph trap.