2008 sti/ spun bearing :(

STIfever32

while getting a Pro tune i spun a bearing dont really know what move to make next 64k on the car.. Need some help just happened yesterday and still at the shop.

all new mods not even 3k on them
- Perrin Fmic,intake
- Cobb Stage2 package with full downpipe exhaust
- uel headers, uppipe
-1000cc injectors, fuel pump

Need some info!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
It sounds like a nice excuse to get a full engine build! But that's pricier.

Are you just looking for the rebuild options?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
One option would be to purchase a short block. They can be had for under $1700. That would be the lowest cost and least time consuming solution if you are not doing the work yourself. I can't say that rebuilding the existing motor is cheaper because of all the proper machine work you will need plus all the extra parts you would need to buy and it will definitely take more time.

I do recommend you replace some other parts while you are in there like timing belt and pulleys and water pump. You can get the whole kit for $350. Beyond that you will need a few gaskets and new fluids plus labor and you could be looking at a $3000 to $5000 bill.

STIfever32

Just got a quote from a shop, can you guys help me out and see if it sounds about right!! For a Short Block rebuilt..

Quote :

1 - New Oem crank shaft - $ 398
1 - New Oem oil pump - $ 180
1 - New Oem oil cooller - $ 280
1 - New Oem full engine gasket kit - $ 389
1 - New Acl performance rod and main bearing set - $ 110
2 - Oem oil filter - $ 13
10 - Oil - $ 50
1 - Parts cleaner - $ 25
2 - Coolant - $ 37
1 - New Oem connecting rod set - $ 200
1 - Misc shop supplies - $ 50
1 - Spark plug set / Denso 1 - Step colder - $ 45

*** Optional - Cp pistons - $ 592
Arp head studs - $ 202

1 - Machine shop - ( Dis assemble / hot tank cylinder heads / repair and or rebuild ) - $ 1,000
1 - Labor - Remove engine / rebuild / re install - $ 3,000

Dyno tune - $ 450

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
This seems high for barely anything more than a factory short block with drop in pistons.

Uh, they list out parts cleaner in the quote but not essentials like the timing belt ?? Unless you copied it wrong, I'd start asking questions.

Was this reusing your block or using a factory fresh block?

STIfever32

this is using my stock block that was everything right off the email they sent me. i thought it was high as well since there using oem parts as well.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
1st where do you live, and who gave you that quote?

STIfever32

Im located in Pa, and no disrespect id rather not say just to stay away from people blowing anything up on this feed..

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Im located in Pa, and no disrespect id rather not say just to stay away from people blowing anything up on this feed..

Nobody here is going have kittens on this forum however, good call about being cautious.

I'd definitely get some more quotes from other shops. I'll let the guys in the region steer you to something better.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah definitely get another quote. Please PM JJ as suggested!