2011 sti sedan epic springs

ILSMKU2

Well, I got some Epic springs on my 2011 STI SEDAN. The second it came off the lift, I knew... It looked like CRAP! :tdown: The rear end looks SAGGY! And the second two people ride in the back, my car looks like its DRAGGING. Not happy at all about the purchase. The stance is just horrid!

Whats odd, on a hatch, the stance is equal fender gap! But on the sedan, the rear end is less than 1 finger and the front is 2 fingers gap. But on the hatch, its 2 fingers on front and both fenders. Im just upset because I was sold on the stance being equal. It might be level, but the fenders are not equal. The ride quality is ok. Feels pretty much like stock. But the stance is just ugly to me. It looks like a slammed honda in the rear. :rofl:

So for any of you with sedans looking for springs, here is a good look at what it will look like with Epics.

Link:
http://i52.tinypic.com/65pope.jpg

ANd here is my buddys car, we both got them on the same day. Notice how much lower the driver side rear is? Mine is the same way. We measured them both and we both have .5-.7" of an inch different from driver rear to passenger side rear.

Link:
http://i55.tinypic.com/28a7odv.jpg

So it looks like Im going to buy some coils to get the stance I WANT. I just worry about coils being to stiff or clunky...

Attachments

• 65pope.jpg
    65pope.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 71

cobbtunedsti

Same thing happened on my RCE Springs.. Jared told me to get the saggy butt spacers but didn't listen.. Oh well I'll install those later.. The back is pretty easy!!

ILSMKU2

Really? I was tempted to get the RCE's because I was worried about the Epics since they had no pictures of them on a 2011 sedan. Well, I found out the hard way. They SAG. I would want a 1" spacer but Im not interested in having to replace the studs. So Im taking them off tomorrow and selling them at a loss. Sucks for me, but oh well. All the more reason to get coils.

ILSMKU2

Ride felt no different than stock. It cornered better, but I actually think it was softer than stock over small jarring bumps in the road. They dont publish there spring rates either for some reason. But on a sedan, these things SAG big time. On hatches, I think they look great. But on the sedan, the rear fender is almost even (maybe 1 finger gap if that) and the front is 1.5 fingers. The second someone jumps in the back seat, I plow like a boat with tucked rear tires. SO lame! Big waist for me.

Paul.c

Hmmmmmmm, that's interesting, I have seen other people that were plenty happy with these. Maybe they aren't as observant as you. But I agree with you, you can see a definite difference in the front and rear. I don't know that anyone makes a saggy butt spacer for GRs. Maybe that hugantic wing is weighing everything down;)

ILSMKU2

I fixed my issue!!!

So I fixed my saggy butt on epics! By purchasing a slightly used set of KW V3 coilovers for 1300 bucks! SCORE! :tup:

Now, I have proper stance, a not so slammed drop and it corners like NOTHING Ive ever driven in my life! I couldn't be happier!

PICS!
photo(2).jpgphoto.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very very nice, and the stance looks great. Sways & endlinks make a huge difference.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes... Oh my god those will make all the difference as well. You probably don't need tremendously large sways either because much of the pitch and roll is being taken care of by the coilovers you just got. I wouldn't go any larger than 24mm and I would consider even smaller than that. If you go to big you essentially negate what the independent suspension it supposed to do. What ever you end up with remember to get the end links as well.

ILSMKU2

Very very nice, and the stance looks great. Sways & endlinks make a huge difference.

Thank you sir! Thats exactly what Im looking to get next! I just need EPIC to man up and give me my money back so I can get them.

Note to everyone. Epic springs look fine on hatches and wagons. But for some reason, they SAG big time on sedans! Dan is the man at Epic and he will push the install error card for an excuse. He couldnt say much when both me and my buddy both got them at the same time at the same place on 2011 sedan STIs and we both sagged. But he tired and still isnt very helpful. So be warned. I will never buy anything epic again. Horrid customer service. And he flat out lied to me saying they would be even WHEEL gap! LIES!

ILSMKU2

Yes... Oh my god those will make all the difference as well. You probably don't need tremendously large sways either because much of the pitch and roll is being taken care of by the coilovers you just got. I wouldn't go any larger than 24mm and I would consider even smaller than that. If you go to big you essentially negate what the independent suspension it supposed to do. What ever you end up with remember to get the end links as well.

Thanks for bringing this up. Do you know what size my car has on it stock? I thought the rumor was, they got a little larger in 2011. But I could be wrong. And would I want the same size front and rear?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
See now hear is where the suspension retard in me comes out. I believe that the front sway bar should be larger but I can't really tell you why. I also have no idea what size the stock bars are on the 11's

I thought there was a sticky somewhere on here about sways but I can't seem to find it.

Paul.c

George is right. On any other car it seems the opposite. You want a larger front bar. I'm not sure what the stock sizes are, I'm sure it's around 18 or 19 though ish.

ILSMKU2

See now hear is where the suspension retard in me comes out. I believe that the front sway bar should be larger but I can't really tell you why. I also have no idea what size the stock bars are on the 11's

I thought there was a sticky somewhere on here about sways but I can't seem to find it.

Ok, sounds good. Thanks again George.

George is right. On any other car it seems the opposite. You want a larger front bar. I'm not sure what the stock sizes are, I'm sure it's around 18 or 19 though ish.

Right on, thank you for confirming. I'll figure out what I have and go from there.

Thanks guys!