2013 STI Insurance

njsuby

Hey guys,
Im turning 17 in 34 days and ive spent the last 5 years saving up for a STI. I am looking to order one in the next day or so. I went to the dealership and talked to the sales associate about ordering one and payments. He then started explaining that insurance for the STI is almost 2X the amount for the rex. It crushed me to hear that is it nearly 13k for a 17 year old in N.J. Im wondering how much everyone else pays for insurance yearly and how old are you? Does anyone know the cheapest insurance company in nj? Thanks everyone!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
13,000 a year!!!!???? Is that correct?

No help from me. I pay about 1,800 a year for both of my cars, Porsche and Subaru. Oddly, the Porsche is half the cost of the STi. Married and 35. And my area has higher insurance rates than a lot of others. (People here love to hit one another. :tard:)

This is why I drove cheap cars when I was young. I tried to buy a Trans-Am WS6 when I was about 19, around 1996, and was quoted with about 450 per month for insurance. Needless to say, I had to back out of the deal.

Your age is against you. Statistically you are more likely, than any other age group, to be involved in an accident. Add this with a higher insured car, the STi, and your looking at big bucks. Also, I assume your a guy, forgive me if not, your sex is also a determining factor. You have the double whammy, young male with a powerful car equals big bucks. Argue all you want but your age group lacks, skill, maturity, responsibility and experience compared to any other group.

Good luck, but I say forget it until you're in your twenties, and even then your insurance may not still be great for this type of car.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
As what people above said...you're gonna get slammed. I'm a little under 30, male, and pay maybe $1300 a year?
Do you have any accidents/tickets working against you? If you get on your parents' insurance it will probably be cheaper than insuring it yourself.

Now for the unsolicted advice:
The STI is great, but are you sure its what you want to buy? At 17, thats a lotttt of money. Buy a used STI, and put the rest in the bank! Or if you must go new, get a WRX. It's also a whole lot of car. Unless you've grown up through the ranks of karting or something similar, it may just end up getting you in trouble. When I was 17, my mom had an S4...i crashed it (fortunately all low-speed). My dad had an M5...crashed it. Vermont (a member on here...sorry to call you out specifically!) thought he was Ken Block and slid sideways into a telephone poll.

The point is the STI is a lot of car, and as a young teen you're going to be tempted to push it to the limit and/or show off to friends. At 17 your driving skills probably aren't where they need to be to know where the limit is, and control the car if you surpass the limit. Most people think they're awesome drivers. Few actually are.

Now think of the consequences. If you do crash your STI, the best case scenario is that your insurance will skyrocket for what seems like decades. Worst case...well, there was a story on here about a 17 year old who crashed his STI and killed maybe 5 people.

Ok, so with all that said, if you still want an STI, just be careful and smart. We'll do our best on here to steer you right in any way we can! Good luck, be smart!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Please read the rules for "Urgent Help" :)

Thread moved. :tup:

I'm going to chime in here just a little info on me im 32 and I pay 113 for full covrage. For some one as young as you I would go with a older WRX... ...hint hint Bugeye. If you have the money saved up for an STi I would start looking around for a 22B you might be one of the lucky ones and find one for sale. The 22B might not be the fastest, in today's standards, but there is mad respect for it in the Subie/rally world. Another route to go would be the Wagon, you are still young and guess what the Bugeye wagon is one of the sexiest subarus if done right +looks +space +way cheaper insurance. 17yro-buy WRX - learn to drive responsibly - learn the ins and outs of a Subaru car - save more money - buy STi - love life. 17yro - buy sti with every penny you have ever got - showoff to friends and crash (hope to god you are ok) - buy Geo Metro because thats all you cant afford - hate life.

By all means do not get full of yourself you are not a good driver! Unless you have been though many race schools (video games do not count) - years of high tier carting (as close as you can get to F1 without selling your soul) - and put yourself in situations where you have been past the limit and back, you are not a race car driver! What do you think the STi is? yup its a road going rally (race) car. Take the time to develop good driving habits first then get fast car not the other way aroung.

Get an old Bugeye slam it, get some rims and tires, good sounding exhaust, FIX THE F***ING TRANSMISSION, and drive it well. You might be surprised what that 2.0l can do.

It's not what your car is, its how you present your car that makes it "cool". Ill tell you the build it half the fun.

Last edited:

salsa-king

and there's a reason why 17yrs olds insurance is 13k.........................................

Me.. in the UK.. 38, full Protected NCB, ?535 +?350 Xs on a 2009 330s STi :)

Bang876

Hey guys,
Im turning 17 in 34 days and ive spent the last 5 years saving up for a STI. I am looking to order one in the next day or so. I went to the dealership and talked to the sales associate about ordering one and payments. He then started explaining that insurance for the STI is almost 2X the amount for the rex. It crushed me to hear that is it nearly 13k for a 17 year old in N.J. Im wondering how much everyone else pays for insurance yearly and how old are you? Does anyone know the cheapest insurance company in nj? Thanks everyone!

Like everyone has said you will literally have to bite the bullet if you really want that car. If you get the car now you are in the highest age bracket to insured for a few years. When I bought my STi I was 20 and paid $350 a month with full coverage through USAA and thats with good driving record since I was 15. Then when I turn 21 it dropped down to about $250. Although rates varies from states to states, you still cant really get around it man, no matter what companies you use its going to cost a fortune to insure someone under 25. Not mention NJ is up there in insurance cost.

ps I think the only reason I havent done anything stupid on my STI or get ticket is because I drive like grandma while commuting but have fun in enclose or areas with little to no traffic. Trust me man if you so much as get one ticket in your age group better kiss that STi or any high performance car goodbye and say hi to a Toyota Prius or Honda Accord:tard:

Last edited:

DierwulfBL

Sweet jesus, how about this. You move to NC and pay me 13k a year and drive mine whenever you want LOLOLOL. I pay 530 per 6 months on my 2011 STi, I am 28 and my record is clean (for some odd reason VA tickets never show up even when i tell them they are there ::shrugs::) full coverage as well. Discounts include multi-car (CRX and OBS race cars :lol: on same policy), and multi-policy (homeowners ins). Over 1k a month on insurance is ludicrous and id pocket that money in savings until I was 25 then buy a house while I drove around a dx civic getting 40+ mpg :). My insurance is allstate but likely switching since a farmers agent told me im paying double what i should for my homeowners ins.