Air Filter Installed VS. Screened Intake

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Disclaimer: I didn't know where to put this thread. If this isn't the best location,
the Moderator's can move it. I figured a tuner would be able to best answer this question though.

First off... I'm aware that with the stock intake/MAF configuration, you don't want to run the
engine without a filter installed. Because of (I believe) MAF scaling, etc. that could make you run
on the lean side, because you were tuned with the filter installed.

Well, my setup includes a custom short ram intake and a blow-thru MAF (MAF is AFTER the turbo).
I've seen some guys remove their air filter and cover the end of their intake with a fine metal screen when
they are at the track, or getting ready for a run on the drag strip or dyno. I can understand the thinking
behind this, but I imagine it's not always smart.

However, with my setup being what it is, with the blow-thru MAF and all, I SHOULD be able to run a
screened intake without any issues....correct? What possible issues could it cause? Also, if I decided
to do this, it would be pretty much ONLY at the track....but how much dirt do you think the engine eats
in that amount of time? I think it'd be minimal at most, but I want you guys' input on all of this.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
For clarification, track = circuit or drag?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I don't know if it would make much difference to be honest. Mostly at the drag strip
is where I see people do it. However, most of the events I compete in are short track,
auto-x courses.

I guess to answer your question......both.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well what im thinking is at a drag strip, its a short period of time and not much debris.

At a real course you can get lots of stuff thrown up by you and others if someone goes off track, spins, etc... And if you get in behind someone on a lap they'll constantly be throwing up shit from the road.

For me, i'd just keep a true filter. You may miss out on a little bit of power, but i just dont want my engine ingesting little bits of dirt, leaves, rocks, etc... that may weasel their way through a fine screen.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I see your point. I guess I didn't consider debris being that big of a deal on an auto-x course because
there's just one car on the track at a time.

The main reason for asking is not because of debris, but because of potential issues with the tune while the
filter is removed....and basically that, I THINK I shouldn't have any issues there because of my blow-thru
setup and I wanted someone to confirm that for me so I don't learn the hard way.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I would think the benefits would be small. I would prefer to keep some type of filtration in place. When thinking in terms if microns, a filter does a heck of a job. As for tune, I could see it upsetting enough. Unbeknownst to me, I ran with a hole in my intake, post filter, and had no issues in the long run but looking back I remember a funky idle.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ Yeah I remember you talking about that happening. Speaking of funky idle....mine is funky. I'll post a thread about that here at some point.