Brainstorming, looking for suggestions.

gratefullife

Well boys and girls, I have a bit of a personal dilemma (couple of them really) and I'd like to ask for a bit of advice. I've been in the military for a few years now and am yet again gearing up for another extended "get-away", but this is the first with a performance oriented car in the driveway. With that, I was also advanced last year and at this pay grade, I have to wait an entire year to see the money (all the responsibility without the pay, it's awesome...) and I've been itching to finish my exhaust or something before I head out. Problem here is that I would probably have a sit down with one of my guys if they pulled some bone head move like that so I've been trying to talk myself out of it. Read something recently that Toomes commented on in his journal I think though about only car people really understanding the connection and draw to mod, and that is what I'm fighting right now.

Anyhoo. On with the first question, what should I be thinking about in terms of the STi in getting ready to head out the door. I will probably be able to have the car moved at least once per week/2 weeks so that should be good. Wife doesn't drive manual, so I'll have a buddie come do it for me. Should I look at maybe a tune-up before or after I get home? She'll be sitting a good portion of the winter with the occasional start-up and trip around the block before being parked (outside) again. There will be a lot of things I'll be discussing on here throughout my trip I'm sure, but trying to get prepped for heading out.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If i were you, I'd put together a list of things for your buddy to check each time.

Things like tire pressures, so your car doesnt sit on some super flexing sidewalls, enhancing the cracking. Check for animal nests before starting it each time. I'm sure there's other stuff. Depending on where it's parked, a trickle charger might be nice. You'll also want to leave it with a FULL tank of gas, to make sure there's as little air in the tank as possible.

I gotta run but that's some starters.

gratefullife

Those are some good ideas. Hadn't thought about that with the gas thank, care to expound on that? Suggestions on a good trickle charger?

Vermont

I hear you buddy. I deployed for my last tour as an E-5 and dropped my STI off with my dad. First things first, make sure and have the battery unplugged after each outing, or put a trickle charger on it. Either one, as the stock battery will go flat in less than a month. I would also suggest changing the oil in it right before you leave. Since the car will be sitting for a year with only be driven every now and then the biggest problem you will have is oil break down due to the changing environment. If you have the oil changed at least once during that time you are gone that would be good.

Dude I know that mod bug feeling right before you are about to deploy. I went stage two (no shit here) two days before I drove the car back home. Was not the smartest of ideas....

gratefullife

I hear you buddy. I deployed for my last tour as an E-5 and dropped my STI off with my dad. First things first, make sure and have the battery unplugged after each outing, or put a trickle charger on it. Either one, as the stock battery will go flat in less than a month. I would also suggest changing the oil in it right before you leave. Since the car will be sitting for a year with only be driven every now and then the biggest problem you will have is oil break down due to the changing environment. If you have the oil changed at least once during that time you are gone that would be good.

Dude I know that mod bug feeling right before you are about to deploy. I went stage two (no shit here) two days before I drove the car back home. Was not the smartest of ideas....

lol damn bro, that is seriously short on going stage 2!

Personal recommendation: watch for cheap in good condition used parts and start a little stock pile. You'll be able to stretch your cash much further.

Read through stuff if you have ample access. You want to research as much as you can before you pull the trigger on spending money.

Yeah brother, that is my intent. Already told my wife that I will probably be spending a good chunk of my time on here while out this time. There is a lot that I want to learn and I'm sure I'll be asking quite a few questions during that time too.

I left about 1/4 of a tank in my car when i deployed so after starting and driving it every 2 weeks for a few miles it wld need gas again. So since ur buddy is going to be driving it i wouldnt leave it with a full tank of gas since gas does not go stale terribly fast. I also never disconnected the ground on my battery since it was started once a week. I did however change the oil right before i left and right after i got home.

I should clarify for you guys though, this is not a full year gone, should only be away for no more than 7 months. So there is that.Yeah, that's what I was thinking as far as the battery and all goes. However, being that it will be through the winter months and what not, do you guys think that I should honestly look at doing the trickle charge and just tell my buddy to be meticulous before and after starting it up? I'm definitely down with the oil change suggestions, but should I be looking at doing anything more? The car is sitting at around 49,900 right now and will most definitely see 50k+ by the time I leave (need to look up the service suggestions for that point) so I'm thinking if not before, then I will probably do a full tune up and fluid swap when I get home.

Vermont

At 60K miles there is a whole list of services that need doing. I honestly don't know them as I am at 22k right now on my 09. Also I would make sure and emphasize that the car needs time to warm up before he thrashes it around. I would also suggest that he does thrash it at least a little. Like going into boost at least once per drive. These cars are made to be driven and driven hard. If you don't then you will run into problems. If the car is going to be out side then get a car cover for it. they run about $110 from the dealership.

As for the tune up..... Honestly the whole tune up thing with these cars is a moot point. A lot of the stuff that your jiffy lube or what ever shop will do in a "tune up" are pointless. So long as all regular maintenance is carried out then you will be fine and no "tune ups" are needed with these cars. The big things are fluids, spark plugs, and cleaning the air filters if applicable.