CEL P0011 and P0021 think is a vacum leak!

subisti07

P0011 ?A? Camshaft Position-Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance(Bank 1)

P0021 ?A? Camshaft Position-Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance(Bank 2)
Got these codes after my car sat in the garage for a month and a half. But it all started when I changed the map on my car.
Current upgrades:
Perrin turboback
Cobb SF intake (worst purchase ever)
Crawford air/oil separator
Cobb ACN Stage 2 tune

Whats the best way to find a vacuum leak!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I used pressure to find out where my leak was. You pressurize through the system and then go through each hose to see where it leaks.

How did you do it with carb cleaner?

For a vacuum leak? Idling, spray carb cleaner. Not just old guys use that method. If there is even the slightest rpm fluctuation, focus in that area and locate the leak.

Now, if it's a boost leak that appears only under pressure, yes, your method will be the way to go. But, to find a vacuum leak, while at idle, it will be sucking into the leak.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Now, if it's a boost leak that appears only under pressure, yes, your method will be the way to go. But, to find a vacuum leak, while at idle, it will be sucking into the leak.

Not so fast. Boost/vacuum leak is detected by pressurizing the system. You will hear the hissing noise, watch your pressure gauge drop rapidly or inject a smoke at time of pressurization and watch for leaks. Soapy water can help also.
Now, using carb cleaner can work but obviously the motor has to be running. Pressure test the motor is off and safer.
A vacuum leak is a boost leak, post turbo, and when under boost. Out of boost, a boost leak is a vacuum leak.
Pre turbo it's just a vacuum leak.

So it can go both ways. If idling, the leak will be a vacuum and can be determined by carb cleaner, correct? It is just safer to do the smoke test? Also, another issue is the town we live in, no one here is going to do a smoke test for less than hourly rate. I am sure you can build your own tester, but, not everyone has the cash to do so, let alone buy a unit. We are pretty limited on what can be done in town here, it sucks.

edit: I do get what your saying, pre-turbo it will always be just a vacuum leak as there is no pressurization at that point in the system. What I meant was that while driving, and in boost, it would be a boost leak, but at idle, it is a vacuum leak. Also, if the connection or leak area is sealing at idle/vacuum, but present during boost, then it is a boost only leak. Do I make sense or blowin smoke? (pun intended)

Last edited:

subisti07

I think I found the problem! Now the problem is finding the things to fix it. I have a Crawford air oil separator and one of the lines that hooks into that Y tube that mounts to the TMIC is kinked because of the way the air/Oil lines run so I will try to find a way to fix that then see where to go from there.

Well then. P0171. Just popped, luckily a buddy who works at a local shop has a smoke tester! Hit me up Dan if you need to use it!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Forgive me for just really noticing your codes but how did you determine a boost/vacuum leak?
You said you changed maps? To what?
These two codes point to something a little more sinister.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Also going to need info on how the car is running. Is it driving like ass runs rough? Anything.
Oil changes, when? How often? What oil?
How many miles on the car?
CEL is blinking? Correct?

Basically, this code is telling you that the camshafts are not advancing or moving as they should. Multiple causes at this point.

subisti07

Spamby, I thought it was going to be something bad a first so I have a friend who has access to SAE manuals and diagnostics and had him run the codes for me. He recommended that I look for vacuum leaks. I think I fixed it. Had a vacuum line that was pinched so I got some stuff from NAPA and ran a new line. So far so good, rough idol is gone and no code so far.

subisti07

Well I thought I fixed it. I was looking on some other forums and everybody who had those codes had something to do with AVCS. But I don't see how it could be on both sides.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Well I thought I fixed it. I was looking on some other forums and everybody who had those codes had something to do with AVCS. But I don't see how it could be on both sides.

Your still getting the codes?

Oil supply prior to the heads or avcs can cause this.