Center of dash Gauge cluster ??????

Paul.Shipp

ive been looking through the forums but im having trouble locating a post for gauges that are in the center of the dash
i have an 05 sti that the previous owner tried (poorly) to install the 07 style gauge cluster in the center of the dash
but failed at the wiring and i was looking for a how to to properly install the gauges ( boost, water temp, oil pressure)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you have a picture of how it currently looks like?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I can probably help you with this as well, as I do all my own wiring, work on electronics and have a triple gauge pod installed.
I'm not positive what you are describing, so as Alin said, please post a picture.

Btw, welcome! I don't think I've seen you here before.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
sorry but the only way i could figure out how to add pics was to link it to facebook

photo.php
photo.php

10154139_735884139766235_1500384197603048003_n.jpg

10322765_735884023099580_8861693973324390598_n.jpg

Here's a little help! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Ooogh boy, this is gonna be interesting. What the hell is with that wiring? :lol: Don't worry, we'll get this figured out.

Hook us up with any and all information you can find printed or stamped on the gauges. Secondly, is there any kind of
control box mounted under the dash or anything that the gauges are connected to? Follow the wires and give me an idea
of where they are going so we can figure out if they need a control box or are stand alone.

Paul.Shipp

the gauges wiring stops right where its shown, the only thing in the area it sits is a boost vacuum line and the original pig tail for the OEM clock that sits in the center of the dash, the previous owner cut wires in some weird places as i found out more when i wired my stereo up.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Can you see anything printed or stamped on the gauges? The first thing we're going to have to do is identify them, so we can find a wiring diagram from the manufacturer.

Next, we'll look for any ancillaries you'll need such as a water temp, oil and boost pressure senders. I'd imagine that if the previous owner had the gauges working, the sending units are still under the hood. We'll then deal with the routing cables from said sending units.

Lastly, or simultaneously I guess, we'll use whatever wiring diagrams we can get our hands on to tell us which wires to connect where.

Paul.Shipp

the only thing the previous owner had functioning were the lights on the gauges turning on. im might have to wait till tomorrow to get the brand, the logo is only visible when the gauges turn on,

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Okay. For the time being, while or after looking at the brand/model of the gauges, look under the hood around the radiator and hoses. I personally don't know where a water temp sender would be located, but obviously it's in the coolant system.

At some point get the car jacked up, preferably on jack stands, (I suppose it goes without saying but please be careful, casualties DO HAPPEN, no offense but I don't know how experienced you are. We all have to start somewhere.) and find the oil filter. There may be a "sandwich adapter" that looks kinda like this one...
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Beatrush-S9EG11-B-Oil-Sandwich-Adapter
IF it's there, there will be a connector or a pigtail coming off of it that connects to another cable which runs through the firewall. The previous owner may have routed it through the firewall into the cabin.
Lastly, you mentioned a boost line in the clock pod cavity. Pull that out and/or follow where that's going. The boost line should almost never be routed into the cabin like that. Generally, you mount the boost pressure sending unit in the engine bay with a bolt, screw or zip tie. There is about 18" of vacuum line that you plumb in and the other side of the boost sending unit has a wire that is routed to the gauge. Locate whatever you can.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Okay...Pro Sport. I'll see what I can find between tonight and tomorrow. Sadly, I'm having some retarded expensive problems with my own STi right now and am super busy at work this week, so I can't promise anything during the day. I'll help as much as I can. Luckily, this isn't an urgent mechanical problem........like mine. :banghead:

Paul.Shipp

i will look at those locations tomorrow afternoon, the gauge brand is the prosport performance series, the one thing i can say is that there are no extra wires except the factory pigtail for the clock that has been spliced for power and ground for the gauges (hate the previous owner) as for the boost tubing i will get a picture of the inside of the dash where the gauge cluster sits, experience wise is OEM R&I very lil experience with any aftermarket mods

Paul.Shipp

and time wise no big hurry, the factory gauge on the steering column still works, just trying to fix previous owner screw ups,