Crank pulley

ICY STi

Is a retune required after replacing the crank pulley? Im thinking not because your not really changing anything its just taking weight off. Only reason im asking is because with the weight shed from the OEM pulley I'm assuming its going to rev faster and the fuel consumptioin might change?

Thoughts recommendations... thanks

ZachTTLM

A tune is not "required", it would be like doing a lightweight flywheel just at the opposite end of the crank.

Evo_Fucking_STi

Zach, You however would need to tune/recalibration for a lightweight flywheel if you want to make sure you don't have misfires/false misfires from the difference in the spinning mass.

ZachTTLM

Zach, You however would need to tune/recalibration for a lightweight flywheel if you want to make sure you don't have misfires/false misfires from the difference in the spinning mass.

I should have been more specific here, I apologize. With minimal reductions there isnt a "requirement" to perform a tune this would be such as a lightened flywheel however some flywheels with larger weight reductions which will cause what he metioned above and will need to be addressed in a tune. The wieght reduction in the pulley change will not warrant this need for a required tune and will not hurt the driveability/performance of the car, however each modification gets it's fullest potential when tuned for it.

ICY STi

I was a little thrown off w your first response Zach but I'm tracking like a scud missile now. I'm getting all my parts together for my build and asking about things as they come to mind.

ZachTTLM

Yea I apologize for the first response, I was thinking one thing and typed a short version of it not realizing how open I left it. I hope I better explained. It is always good to research each and every part being installed. The more you know about it the more you will know about your car and how it performs so in that I commend you.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So on a technical level i'm still left wondering.

At each RPM/load/throttle position/etc... the car is still getting the same amount of air, fuel, backpressure, boost, etc..., correct? If so, then it would only seem to be the rate at which the car changed RPM that was affected. This is due to a lower rotating mass, meaning less power is spent spinning the flywheel, and more power is delivered to the wheels.

Under acceleration, the amount of power required to spin the flywheel is miniscule compared to the power required to accelerate the car. Now what I mean is let's say under normal acceleration you can go from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm in one (1) second (I'm using easy numbers, not necessarily accurate). In that time you've doubled the speed of the car--let's say from 10 mph to 20 mph--requiring significant energy to do so (lets say 200 hp/s). You've also had to physically accelerate the rotating components of the car: everything from crank, flywheel, driveshaft, axles, wheels, cams, etc... It takes some amount of energy to spin them from 1000 to 2000 rpm--let's say 10 hp/s.

Now you drop in your lightweight pulley. Everything in the above statement remains true, except the last sentence, where we now can say it took maybe 9.95 hp/s. So now you have an extra .5 hp/s that ends up going to the wheels--which means faster acceleration. So now you reach your 2000 rpm a split second earlier. But at each ecu clock cycle along the way, you had the same parameters being calculated since no extra air was getting in, or fuel, or boost, or anything like that. It just had to step through the tables SLIGHTLY more quickly, right? But i'm going to assume that the ECU operates at a frequency where it can easily handle stepping through tables at pretty much any rate you throw at it.

Even on engine braking, most of the energy doesn't go into spinning the engine components, but to drive the pistons up/down compressing air, etc... A perfect example is F1 cars. They have crazy light components, lower polar moment of inertia, but they still engine brake at almost 1g. So if problems dont come from accelerating, and they dont come from engine braking, i can only see two places left for problems to occur. Either applying the clutch in a situation where the RPMs were not perfectly matched, and perhaps putting the clutch in revving it or letting the engine wind down.

Is that where the tune comes into play? I'm trying to understand the mechanics of why a tune is required.

ICY STi

Everyone correct me if I'm wrong...

I think is what Zach is saying is that just lightening the weight of the crank pulley isn't enough to warrant a tune. Yes the car will be lighter and throw in another variable for the ECU but it's not a significant enough loss to need a turn.

However if you do the lightweight flywheel lighter clutch crank pulley cam pulleys and other things of that nature then you would need to get a tune because that is a significant weight loss.

Although to optimize the reduction in weight and gain the additional .5 hp a tune would need to be performed.

Did i hit the nail on the head guys? Have I learned properly. Haha

Last edited:

Vermont

As far as I know the only tables that would be affected by a light weight pulley or light weight fly wheel would be the tip-in tables as they would most likely need to be changed, as they dictate and control the fuel through rapid and sudden throttle/rpm/load changes. The load Compensation tables might need to be re-adjusted but I am not sure I as have no first hand experience with a lightened pulley/flywheel. Other wise nothing else should need to be touched. You might need to turn some codes off as I am sure the ECU will probably throw a tizzy fit once it sees that it is reving faster than it should be able too, but other wise you are not changing the amount of air or fuel coming into the engine so you should not have to touch anything else.

finallymysti

two questions. 1) when removing a/c components you are going to be putting less drag on the pulley, I take it this doesn't require a tune? 2) when removing this extra pressure that is pulling at an angle on the pulley, will it throw off the balance of the engine? thanks

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I don't know about 1 but I do know that the engine is internally balanced and therefore no issue should occur with the rotating assembly.