How To: VA DIY Roof Vent For Cheap

[FONT=&quot]Disclaimer:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You do this mod at your own risk, if you haven't attempted or finished anything of similar difficulty then get it done by a shop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Parts Needed:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Roof vent (got mine from a semi-truck parts place, it's just a side vent used on semis; LINK to the site/page I bought from; I bought vent ?D?)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Some sort of caulk or JB Weld (has to be good for outdoor use, for obvious reasons (I used silicone based caulk from Lowe?s, an indoor/outdoor useable and paintable type from the paint and glues area; aisle 3 or 4 IIRC))[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Rivets (I used Aluminum 3/16? diameter, wide domed blind rivets for .126-.25? material from McMaster-Carr: Part # 97447A325)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Rivet gun[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Small washers (extra backing material for the rivets)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Drills (metal cutting bits)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Drill Motor[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Metal cutting tool (i.e. air powered or electric rotary saw small enough to cut the size needed)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Sewing tape measure[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Straight edge/ruler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Sander or Dremel style tool (used to file down the edges for a cleaner install)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Tape (for protecting the paint on your roof and for marking your measurements)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-An extra set of hands or some sort of pole to hold the vent up when riveting it in place[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Roof scoop (optional: I bought one from an ebay shop that has studs for a hard install, wouldn?t recommend a stick on variation for this job. Here is a LINK to the eBay shop?s webpage)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steps:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1: Strip out headliner (if you can't figure this out, stop while you're ahead, this job is too complex for you since you will be soon cutting a hole in your roof).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2: Tape over the area of the roof where you want the vent, make the taped space substantially larger than the vent (my taped area was about 12" deep by 20" wide looking from the nose of the car).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3: I suggest covering up the rest of the car with a sheet or something similar to catch the bits of metal removed and keep them from sitting in gaps and rusting away. Along the same lines put another sheet or blanket inside the car to catch metal bits that fall in.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4: Measure the opening needed to put the vent through, use the size of the lid, not the whole vent component.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5: Find the center line of your roof (side to side in 2 points) and then draw a line between these 2 points using the straight edge/ruler. At the same time decide how far back you want your vent (look inside for anything that will prevent it from being too far forward), I placed mine 8" from the front of the roof due to the dome/map light being in the way of farther forward.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13986841501_355ee96835_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6: Transfer the measurements of the opening needed onto the taped section of the roof. I marked off the 8" back point in the center and then made my marks to the left and right of center (marks were made at a distance away from center of half the width of the hole needed) at an equal distance back from the front window on each side.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7: Follow suit with the rest of the lines for the vent opening.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6/7 Alternate: Make a stencil of the opening needed and then use it to make the markings on the roof.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13986841341_1b99d3ec0a_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8: Cover up your front window to protect it from sparks from cutting, the sparks have been known to pit glass.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13966520616_b0be0da017_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9: Drill corner holes inside your vent diagram. I made a mark 1cm in from each corner at a 45* angle and drilled a pilot hole at these points. Followed up the pilot hole with incrementally larger pilot holes and finished with a 1/2" drill bit to get the rounded corners.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13986806442_1478e32eba_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10: Cut the hole for your vent. Keep test fitting the vent, if you made the hole to small, until it fits thought the hole.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*NOTE* You can be anal about the way this turns out or not, if you're anal you may be able to get the vent to hold in place with just JB Weld and friction and not have to rivet, I don't trust JB weld enough to go that route so I made the hole slightly larger and riveted the vent in place[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13990020635_92de7741d3_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11: Mark the locations for the rivet holes and then drill pilot holes in the center of these points. Follow up with a larger drill that is sized properly to the rivets you are using. Ensure that all the rivets line up in at the same time and that you remove the protective tape (from Step 2) before moving on to the next step.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*NOTE* Ensure your helper is ready to help, whether it?s a person or a pole, I recommend a person as they can hold up the washers and the vent while you use the rivet gun.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*NOTE* I did Steps 18 & 19 at this time. Second picture has rivets in all the holes to show them better.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13990020595_207a0651f4_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
13966519746_18aa85888f_o.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
13989629895_c68a7580d0_o.jpg
[/FONT]

12: Get out your sealing material (caulk, JB Weld, etc…) and put a ~1/4 diameter bead around the edge of the vent and around each hole to ensure water tightness. Put the vent up in place from the inside of the car and have your helper hold it up tight to the roof.

13: Insert rivets though the holes you drilled and through the vents pre-drilled holes. Insert all the rivets at this time before actually installing (i.e. fully riveting) any.

14: Have helper place small washers on the bottoms (flush with the bottom of the vent) of each rivet in turn (as you fully install each rivet with the “gun”).
13967152086_177898c8fe_o.jpg

15: Once all rivets are installed place a secondary seam of caulk around the base of the vent to ensure water-proofing.

16: Allow your chosen sealant ample time to cure before driving (to prevent contamination of the sealant if you’ve chosen sealant suitable for painting or other finishing).

17: If you aren’t installing a roof scoop over the vent then enjoy your vent and pat yourself on the back for a (hopefully) job well done. If you are installing a scoop then continue on to Step 18.

18: Measure where you want to place your scoop and mark out the locations for the studs. Attempt to get the scoop as near to center as possible for the cleanest look.

19: Drill out the stud holes with a pilot hole and then the full size drill again. Start with the front pair of holes and confirm the location of the rear pair. Drill the holes for the rear studs using the same method (pilot hole then full sized).
*NOTE* Remove the nuts from the studs before the next step.

20: Install sealant around the drilled holes and place the scoop in place. Ensure the sealant is still above the holes (as well as in the holes) after scoop is partially in. I accomplished this by placing a small washer between the scoop and the roof with silicone above and below the washer.

21: Install the nuts with a washer with a dab of caulk on the top of the washer on the inside of the car. Tighten the nuts enough to get a good seal but don’t break your scoop.
13978001976_332bc0555c_o.jpg

22: Enjoy your functional rally inspired equipment and remove your A/C system as this vent and scoop are actually functional at speed unlike the JDM roof vent. Pat yourself on the back and finish your beer.
13977527516_f130bace49_o.jpg

13997460671_66b5f75a44_o.jpg

13990511376_41d9c5d867_o.jpg

14013628685_7d81e8c22b_o.jpg

14014083584_caa78cf310_o.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sheesh! This is awesome, but I don't think I'd have the guts to do it myself. Definitely can't wait to see pictures and final outcome!!!! :tup: :ty:

inferno19d

This is fantastic and have to agree with Alin, I would never have the guts to do it myself. Awaiting the pictures to see the finished product.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hmmmmm. If anything, we can go to him and he can charge us a flat rate to do it! :lol:

Well it'd probably be easier the second time, especially since I won't be trying to use that damned underpowered compressor I picked up from Harbor Freight (2 hp, 5 gal) that allowed me to scrape all of a few inches before it had to cycle air in again. Electric angle grinder worked pretty well though, so come on down to hEll Paso and I'll chop holes in your roofs! :lol: $200 sound fair for the job?

Alright, post 2 is updated. I took the car for a ride after I finished installing the scoop today and it definitely pushes in the air, withoutt as much wind noise as I expected (decently loud at 80 down the highway, quieter than having the windows open though), but it could use something to direct the direction of the airflow (more towards me, less towards the rear) a little better.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn!!! I love it!!! :tup:

Can you get some close up shots from the exterior and from the interior of the vent itself?

Thanks guys.

Yep, I can do that, Alin, I'll try to remember to snap them tomorrow. Shouldn't see too much from the exterior shots, the exterior of the whole thing is black as my soul. ;) Inside just looks like a cheese grater mounted in the roof with an odd handle location.

Alright, @Alin, got some better and close-up pics for you (they're added to post 2). I also have an interior piece that I bought at the same time, I may just mount the headliner back in, cut a hole, modify the trim piece and make it somewhat pretty again (wife doesn't like some of my latest functional mods), maybe I'll do it just to see how well I can get it, maybe not.

Lol, cav-scout brother ( [MENTION=1390]inferno19d[/MENTION] ) (I'm a combat engineer), the pics I did take of those steps were so crappy and blurry that diagrams just seemed to be in order for the job.

inferno19d

[MENTION=2134]Gregroot198521[/MENTION], mr combat engineer, gotta love blowing chit up.... Or here recently chit blowing you up. LOL Those diagrams worked magic for me. Tho i would never be able to do this DIY job because of my sun roof, its great knowing it can be done and seeing the end result.

inferno19d

Wow, I didn't realize the way the inside was, that is pretty crazy looking and down right awesome. Looks good man.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
:ty: thats so awesome!

@Gregroot198521, mr combat engineer, gotta love blowing chit up.... Or here recently chit blowing you up. LOL Those diagrams worked magic for me. Tho i would never be able to do this DIY job because of my sun roof, its great knowing it can be done and seeing the end result.
Lol, not so much anymore switched MOSs almost 5 years ago, hunting IEDs gets old after 15 months of doing it.
Wow, I didn't realize the way the inside was, that is pretty crazy looking and down right awesome. Looks good man.
:ty: thats so awesome!
Lol, thanks guys, I'm seriously considering this idea of reinstalling the roof-liner, modified a bit, to clean the car up a bit again (make the wife happier). Considered it enough that I went out and carefully made a hole in the roof liner, and I do mean carefully; measured 5 times for each measurement, cut with a fresh box cutter blade and even cut it with round edges. Alas the trim I got from the same supplier as the vent is designed to go around the whole vent, as in it sits about a centimeter out off each side from the metal edges of the vent assembly, so I'm thinking that tomorrow I will go out and about and try and find something to make a trim piece there (maybe some sort of rubber edging or something "L" shaped) and also considering going and getting a sheet of some thin cloth (and spray adhesive if I have none) to cover up all the creases the head-liner got when I pulled it out (it really is a bitch to get out of the car, had to literally fold it in half to remove it). If I can get this plan to work I shall update the first 2 posts and make it a comprehensive DIY.

inferno19d

Lol, not so much anymore switched MOSs almost 5 years ago, hunting IEDs gets old after 15 months of doing it.

Well you were one of the smarter ones. Hopefully the new MOS is "more better" haha.... I am looking forward to the finished product with the interior lining. Will that mess with the air coming in? If it does maybe there is something you can do to reroute the air a bit when you install the liner.