Diehard Car Enthusiast!
FA20F-2015 WRX

Power: 268 HP @ 5600 RPM
Torque: 258 lb-ft @ 5200 RPM
Bore and stroke: 86.0 x 86.0 mm, but rod length remains relatively unchanged
Displacement: 1998 cc
Compression Ratio: 10.6:1
Twin scroll turbocharger located under the motor with a top mount intercooler
Maximum boost pressure: 15.9 psi (A lot of people have shown spikes upwards of 23 psi)
Direct fuel injected, electronic throttle control, direct ignition
Valve roller rockers instead of direct contact
Timing chain
Cylinders are now 13mm thick (+6mm over the EJ257!) But deck loses lateral reinforcement
Crank loses straight-shot oiling, but oil flows to heads/block in parallel off oil pump rather than serially
Better head coolant drainage
Thinner diameter bearings
Ignition timing BTDC 10* +/-10* (as opposed to ignition timing 15* +/-10*)
Oil- 5w-0 synthetic, 5.4 US qts
Assymetrical conrods are employed with fracture-split endcaps (assymetrical design allows the bottom end of the motor to be completely disassembled without splitting the case halves)

a09-p2-Forester%2004.jpg

Last edited:

zax

1998cc

Valve roller rockers instead of direct contact

Timing chain over belt

Cylinders are now 13mm thick (+6mm over the EJ257!) But deck loses lateral reinforcement

Square 86mm bore:stroke but rod length remains relatively unchanged

Valve rockers means straighter airflow into combustion chambers = better head flow

Turbo under the motor

Crank loses straight-shot oiling, but oil flows to heads/block in parallel off oil pump rather than serially

Better head coolant drainage

DI obviously

Thinner diameter bearings

Lots lots more

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'll take a look some more at a later time, but that's what we have so far. If you comer across anything else, please post!

zax

How could I forget?

Also assymetrical conrods are employed with fracture-split endcaps. The assymetrical design allows the bottom end of the motor to be completely disassembled without splitting the case halves. This is my favorite new feature :)

Also the oil cooler and filter is on the top of the motor. The FA20 in the WRX has an oil temp and oil level sensor which is neat. My understanding is that the WRX (FA20F) employs a two-stage oil sump to reduce windage and improve efficiency.