Excessive Steering Wheel Vibration

wardevil260

Over the past weekend I took my STi on a RallyX track. While on the course everything was fine and the car handled amazing, I never hit any bad dips or rocks, it was a smooth ride. The next day when I went out to my car there was a puddle of fluid underneath and that turned out to be my Powersteering pump (replaced). While driving it to go get the new pump the steering wheel started to vibrate real bad and I just thought that maybe the pump or linkage was at fault and would fix it when I installed the new pump. After test driving the car with the new pump the steering wheel vibration was still horrible. At 40mph not so bad, 50 mph starts to get insane and 60 mph feels like the steering wheel is going to pop right off. My question is that could it be the wheel bearing? There isn't excessive play when I shake the tires, just the normal 1/32 play. Or could it be something more? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Check everything with the suspension, steering, wheels and tires. Poke, bang, grab, shake and pull everything you can.
At this point it could be anything from unbalanced tires to bent or broken parts.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I've had a very similar issue recently. I'm almost positive it's wheel/tire balancing. Going to take the car to Discount Tire this week
to have them all rebalanced. I must have lost a wheel weight somehow. I hope your issue is remedied as easily. I'll lyk if rebalancing
helps.