Extended Warranty On A New Subaru Worth It?

I just thought it would be interesting to see the forums thoughts about the extended warranty that dealers try to push on you while your purchasing a new Subaru are?

The reason why I'm thinking of this is because I know I upset a dealer today while helping my mom negotiate her purchase of her option loaded 2015 forester.

He of course started with the description of the stock warranty and then led up to the extended warranty that he was offering my mom at the discounted price of $1699 that covered Bumper to Bumper (supposedly) for 7 years or 70K miles.

He tried his best to get my mom to buy it but I convinced her to not and to sleep on it since I told her this was something the dealer would allow to be added in the next couple of weeks if she really felt like she really needs it.

Overall she got out of the dealer with her subaru forester that has the limited package (leather, heated seats, upgraded stereo, back up camera, navigation, sun roof, etc)
for a decent deal since we had them price match the costco membership price.

So I guess my questions are did you purchase an extended warranty?

If so do you feel that you got your money's worth out of it meaning did you get $1600 or more worth of parts and labor out of it that would have not been covered by the stock warranty?

Or any other personal feedback that you might have had?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
They push the warranties because they are a little more money they put in their pockets. You could probably negotiate that warranty package for a cheaper price.

No I don't buy the extended warranty. Not to say I would never but I've never felt the need to do so nor have I ever run into a situation where I could have used it.

Generally I've always felt there was a catch with them something like you have to pay a deductible. Plus at the average mileage a driver puts on a car, 12-15k or more a year, that warranty will be null before seven years. If your that type of driver?

The idea of money well spent would be if you exceed that price of the warranty package in repairs. but only then would you have recouped your money AND then saved money by not being out of pocket. Subarus are relatively good cars and I wouldn't think that any major problems would occur in seven years. (Sans the piston failures in the WRX/STi)

I always have savings for emergencies. That's my extended warranty paid for. Put that 1699 in the bank for that rainy day.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We agree with [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION].

Yep I agree with you guys.
I know thats where the dealers get an extra bonus when they sale the extended warranties since my wife use to work at a dealership.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yep I agree with you guys.
I know thats where the dealers get an extra bonus when they sale the extended warranties since my wife use to work at a dealership.

Usually half is what they make on them.