External Wastegate

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'm looking to get an external wastegate for my STi. First what size should I go with (38mm or 44mm)?

Second who makes the best setup, and bang for the buck?

Thank you.

finallymysti

yes. I and two shops have tried to get it to seal and couldn't. then I called cobb (excellent customer service) and said I think it was miss-manufactured, they replaced it with one from a new batch. and I got a new set of headers incase mine were warped. guess what, still can't get it to stay sealed/leak free.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Wow.

Thanks for letting me know.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So, you've decided to become more ricer?

Put a trumpet tube on that rocket pipe of uselessness so it's even louder when it does nothing but make more noise.

My vote is stay internally gated :Fuji:

Not worth it?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
i agree with fuji. sooo many better places to spend money.

Thanks for saving me the $$$.

I also thought I could pick up more HP.

I really love our community. It saves me from wasting money, and from making really dumb mistakes.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
So, you've decided to become more ricer?

Put a trumpet tube on that rocket pipe of uselessness so it's even louder when it does nothing but make more noise.

My vote is stay internally gated :Fuji:

:rofl:

i agree with fuji. sooo many better places to spend money.

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft...hint, hint :cool:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Gonna do injectors instead, and turn up the boost.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Injectors are always a good idea. If you're ever going to 850cc or larger, I think I'd recommend a top feed conversion.
If I remember correctly, Lexi is still on the factory turbo, right? Be careful when tuning, don't try to run the VF39 to the
upper limit of it's operating range (by running lots of boost, 19 psi is a good limit).

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I would rebuild the stock turbo with a billet wheel & some pnp. Considerably lighter than stock, and flows much more.

Top feeds, TGV deletes

Gains per dollar will be much better than an EWG. If you're worried about inconsistent boost, change to a manual boost controller and possibly change out the waste gate actuator arm for a higher spring pressure.

Thanks Fuji for the advice. I'm going to take that route you have suggested.