Future STI owner

Jeffers

Hey I'm Jeffers, at least that's what I go by. I joined this fourm to learn some things before I get my dream car, which is of course a subaru Impreza STI. I grew up doing nothing but building muscle cars with my dad but ever since the first STI came out I've been in love, even though my background is American muscle. Im a car enthusiast. I like and respect everything but I still have my favorites. So I might have some dumb questions down the road since import motors will be new to me. Thanks ahead of time!

Heya! And welcome! I too am going to be a future STi Owner :p, thinking about putting that pre order here in about a month.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hey I'm Jeffers, at least that's what I go by. I joined this fourm to learn some things before I get my dream car, which is of course a subaru Impreza STI. I grew up doing nothing but building muscle cars with my dad but ever since the first STI came out I've been in love, even though my background is American muscle. Im a car enthusiast. I like and respect everything but I still have my favorites. So I might have some dumb questions down the road since import motors will be new to me. Thanks ahead of time!

I too came from the muscle car word and hold a place in my heart for them. The car that opened up 4 cylinder cars for me was the 93 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T. From that I went to the 2002 GTI and then the 2006 STi. It was the STi that won it for me in every aspect of driving. It's just an all around well performer.

Jeffers

That's what I'm looking for Is something fun to drive. And after driving a few at work I fell in love. Plus they get decent gas mileage ifyou don't run them hard which is good since I got a decent drive to work

Jeffers

That's what I'm looking for Is something fun to drive. And after driving a few at work I fell in love. Plus they get decent gas mileage ifyou don't run them hard which is good since I got a decent drive to

Yea, I personally got an STi to at least hit 25mpg on a stage 2 map lol with very careful shifting. I forgot about the eco map though, it's much higher. I was able to do this on the 11 STi.

Any tips for the new buyers? :p

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to the forum!!!

Which model (year) sti is your dream car?!?!?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Are you looking to buy new or used? If used, what years?

As for new buying tips:
Don't waste your money on some of the upgrades. The short-shifter is a perfect example. They probably charge you like $200, but you can get a better one (imo) from the aftermarket for cheaper! If you're planning on mods, anyways, it's probably cheaper to go straight to aftermarket.

Used buying tips:
Try to get to know the owner by stalking his online accounts, etc... to see if he abuses his car, has had issues, etc...
Get a leakdown test done. Really try to bring it to a subie-specific shop for a once over, since they'll know what they're looking for. And of course, make sure the regular maintenance has been done, with things like oil changes, coolant, diff/trans oil, etc...

Jeffers

Yea. If I go used I'm gonna try to find a low mileage like 04-05. I've always loves that body. But the few I've found thy are about 200 miles from me, and I'll drive to get a good car. But they were bone stock besides wheels and exhaust with 40-50000 miles. Or I'll go new. Im saving for a down payment for a loan for either a used or newer used Sti. It's gonna be a few years of saving cause I gotta pay off my truck. As I said I don't have one, I'm here to learn before I get one. What exactly is a leak down test? I'm pretty handy with cars And know what to look for and I had subaru buddies who are more then willing to road trip with me to look at a car

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Maybe your best bet is to wait one more year since you wont be getting one soon and see what 2016 has to offer. I am betting on the sti getting the new 2.0 motor like the japanese type s.

you can definitely learn a lot here. If you have any questions, do a quick search to see if it has been answered before. If not, feel free to ask and we would be glad to help you out! :tup:

Blobeye ftw! :lol:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Leakdown test is basically when someone removes the spark plug and puts in a sensor, and pumps in air. If too much air leaks out of the cylinder when you pump in the air, something's wrong.

Jeffers

Thanks guys. Yea I'm gonna see if I can find my dream of a 04-05 body with low miles before I look for new. Like I said I am handy with cars. I have two shop jobs and endless amount of tuner friends, a few strictly subaru. But I will go new If I can't find what I want. Not brand spanking new cause my budget in a few year will be 25000 before a down payment that I'm planning. I'm only 18 and I'm a Maintence tech at one job right now and I started an apprenticeship at a local shop at a few days a week so hopefully it will turn to more money. What my budget will be is depending on what I'm making in a few year. I'm an 18 year old already starting a career

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Nice! Dont rush into anything then. Plenty of time to go to soak in all of the knowledge you seek! :tup:

Check out the stickies in the noob section!

Jeffers

I know. I'm being smart and saving first. I want at least a 5-7000 dollar down payment. Roughy 80$ a paycheck for 4 years when my truck is to be paid off but I might pay it off sooner. I'm using a 97 silverado to build my credit right now

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Good show. I wish more people your age thought this way. Hell, I wish just more people thought this way, period.
Sounds like you got your head screwed on straight.

Jeffers

Thanks spamby. There's a lot of kids my age with everything handed to them and don't respect it. I have never owned a car that I haven't respected. I'm nt saying I didn't dog on them a little but if I did I took care if them

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Gotta start somewhere. Might as well start off smart which is the way youre doing now. :tup:

You can always find a deal if you are looking. Sometimes it just takes a little longer. :tup: