GD George's cars (Retired)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I installed my AEM series 2 and things are going very slow with the tune. I knew that it would though because I'm trying to grasp my brain around some of the tables and the learning curve is bigger. I don't have the luxury of all the spreadsheets and tools that the RR and AP community has at their disposal so I have to do it the old fashioned way.

Doing that on the street is proving itself to be quite a danger. I did manage to make myself a spreadsheet to help me out but it needs alot of work. I am able to do some log tuning now so I feel a little better.

It's so hard at first because the startup cals really suck balls and to figure out what is causing issues at first is a crap shoot and until you nail down the area that is giving you problems you just have to keep touching tables until you find the one that makes it better.

So far I have a really decent daily driver tune going and I have adjusted the fuel map and applied my own timing map because the startup maps for timing don't make any sense to me what so ever. Neither do the fuel maps for that matter. I still have to scale the maf properly and then tune with the AFR table but even with an incomplete conservative tune, she feels much stronger than stock, especially in the mid range.

I am finding that the knock correction feature is superb and highly effective :tup: :tard:

Last edited:

Vermont

Have you used the self tuning feature? I know the hydra comes with it and I was pretty sure the AEM did as well. Might be worth using once just to get your self a good starting point next time. Also have you gotten you KA built yet or is this just on the stock engine to get your self familiar with the new ecu?

btw: what does MBT stand for... having a :tard: moment

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Isn't there a program from UPREV for that? I remember reading in DSport about a tuner for nissans.

Unfortunately Uprev's diagnostic software does not interface with he AEM and the refalsh solution they have is only for the stock newer ECUs but I don't know enough about it to comment much further. IMO AEM or the AEM community should be responsible to come up with viable tools to do log based tuning but no one has stepped up to the plate yet. I guess I'm gonna have to be that person. The thing is that once these tools are created they are 100% applicable across all cars and applications provided they are using the AEM EMS. :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Have you used the self tuning feature? I know the hydra comes with it and I was pretty sure the AEM did as well. Might be worth using once just to get your self a good starting point next time. Also have you gotten you KA built yet or is this just on the stock engine to get your self familiar with the new ecu?

btw: what does MBT stand for... having a :tard: moment

Yes that was the first thing i tried... EPIC Fail! :tard:. I'm not sure if I have something adjusted wrong but it over corrects massively and it goes lean. I'll have a closer look at it tonight because I don't want to give up on that just yet.

Yes that is exactly what I'm doing. We are getting our feet wet on the stock KA and then we will do it all again once the thing is fully built. My buddies KA finally shit the bed so we are doing a swap back to a stock block so he can just drive it around. The only difference between his and mine at that point is he will still have the turbo. That will give me some good practice and knowledge for when I turbo mine. There doesn't seem to be any major differences between the series 1 and the series 2 and far as tables go. At least the ones I am interested in.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh MBT... It really depends on the context you use it in but the widely accepted use of the acronym is Mean Best Timing when adjusting ignition advance. The other convention is Maximum Brake Torque. To be honest I'm not sure which one is right but I adjust my timing to allow the most toque without knocking and that to me is the best timing to use so for me it is mean best timing.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
George where did you get your relocate kit?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh I pieced it together from different sources. The hold down is a dime a dozen on ebay and it is billet alum. The rest was standard items. I can provide you with a list if you so desire. :tup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh I pieced it together from different sources. The hold down is a dime a dozen on ebay and it is billet alum. The rest was standard items. I can provide you with a list if you so desire. :tup:

Yes please. I have an idea. :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
For my particular build :)...

- x1 Optima Red top Battery, $169 shipped, Source-Ebay
- x1 0 awg wire, 50ft, $55, Source-Ebay, Seller uneeksupply
- x1 ALUMINUM BALL MILLED OPTIMA BATTERY TRAY GROUP 34 78, $64, Sorce-Ebay
- x2 Distribution Block, $40, Source-Ebay
- x6 copper crimp lug, 0-1 awg, $10, Source-Ebay
- Other misc parts including zip ties, hardware, heat shrink - total $40

:tup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
For my particular build :)...

- x1 Optima Red top Battery, $169 shipped, Source-Ebay
- x1 0 awg wire, 50ft, $55, Source-Ebay, Seller uneeksupply
- x1 ALUMINUM BALL MILLED OPTIMA BATTERY TRAY GROUP 34 78, $64, Sorce-Ebay
- x2 Distribution Block, $40, Source-Ebay
- x6 copper crimp lug, 0-1 awg, $10, Source-Ebay
- Other misc parts including zip ties, hardware, heat shrink - total $40

:tup:

Thanks pal.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you very much! :D I was thinking of an LS swap mostly for the purposes of maintaining an OBDII engine for NY inspections and what not, but I was convinced to stay with the KA. I have plans to turbo it very soon. I'm using it mostly as a learning platform to get myself familiar with the AEM EMS.

Vermont

These are some cool fuckers... I wanna be them.

And now you know what my 240sx is going to look like, only with a really really big wing.... And a giant anime decal on the side.... And multi colored rims... Also I thought you hated drifting? and there is no way in hell you would ever take that pristine perfect beauti of an S14 and toss it around like that, if you did I would punch you right in the gooch.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I use to drift the STi. I loved it and it was how I met many of my current friends. It is true I am resisting because my car is to nice to abuse but it wants to be and I question wether it is actually abuse or just using the car for it's intended purpose!

Z1107

George why are you sticking with the KA? And thinking of turboing it? Drop in a SR20 with red top head and black top bottom.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
George why are you sticking with the KA? And thinking of turboing it? Drop in a SR20 with red top head and black top bottom.

For several reasons actually :tup: I was thinking about doing an SR but to many of my friends that have them have had nothing but problems. Mostly due to tuning issues but a fair share of them are mechanical. Most notably with the valve train. I was even thinking of doing an RB. But alas, none of those options will work because of one simple factor. OBDII. I can't seem to get around it and no matter what solution I come up with it always seems to come back to KA.

A few years ago it was nearly impossible to find aftermarket support for the KA but now it is more prevalent than ever. The other factor is the mechanical abilities of the platform. It was originally designed as a truck motor so the bottom end of the thing is liken to a diesel engine. With cast iron block, oil squirters, main bearing support cage, cam on valve geometry and a timing chain you can't go wrong. My friends KA is pushing close to 700whp and it is over two years now. The only problem he is having is the ARP head studs keep stretching and he has to replace the timing chain tensioner. An SR just doesn't support that kind of power even if it was fully built IMO.

So now with the KA I can have my cake and eat it to by keeping enough of the stock components to put it back to OBDII for inspection and then swap back to full race mode all in a day.

Vermont

For several reasons actually :tup: I was thinking about doing an SR but to many of my friends that have them have had nothing but problems. Mostly due to tuning issues but a fair share of them are mechanical. Most notably with the valve train. I was even thinking of doing an RB. But alas, none of those options will work because of one simple factor. OBDII. I can't seem to get around it and no matter what solution I come up with it always seems to come back to KA.

A few years ago it was nearly impossible to find aftermarket support for the KA but now it is more prevalent than ever. The other factor is the mechanical abilities of the platform. It was originally designed as a truck motor so the bottom end of the thing is liken to a diesel engine. With cast iron block, oil squirters, main bearing support cage, cam on valve geometry and a timing chain you can't go wrong. My friends KA is pushing close to 700whp and it is over two years now. The only problem he is having is the ARP head studs keep stretching and he has to replace the timing chain tensioner. An SR just doesn't support that kind of power even if it was fully built IMO.

So now with the KA I can have my cake and eat it to by keeping enough of the stock components to put it back to OBDII for inspection and then swap back to full race mode all in a day.

Or find some po-dunk shop that knows absolutely nothing, turn off all codes and then toss a cat on the car and call it good. Hell I passed inspection and emission with an EWG with dump tube.... So long as no codes are being thrown and there is at least one cat you should be able to pass man. The problem I do see is that the AEM is incapable of passing you do to readability. Correct? In that case you might need to keep the stock ecu wired up but not turned on. idk just theorizing, also what options are there for tuning either the ka,sr, or rb series? do they have an open source community like us or no such luck?