Header ?s

Im thinking about installing a tubular header along with the turbo swap. I did some research but didnt find what I was looking for.

The few questions I have are:

What are the results?
More power?
Did spool change?
What brand did you purchase?
Is it worth it over stock?

I was looking at this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281312219481?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone seen any problems with the ebay header?

I know its cheap but I will probably reinforce all the welds but I have not had any bad luck with cheap ebay exhaust parts. My TBE is all ebay. My evo exhaust is ebay. I just replace the muffler with an apexi n1. I paid $111 bucks for it and it sounds great and fits perfect. I dont see why people would pay $1000 for a name brand that sounds and fits the exact same way.

Thanks,

Joe

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What size turbo? Unless your going with a big turbo, I'd stick with the stocker and port it. Stock part is more durable and it's primaries are better suited for smaller turbos.

Alter3go

Gotta make sure that'll hold up under driving conditions, high heat etc...

Also brand new TOMEI expreme headers are 711 comes with up pipe and heat wrap

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Interesting. I have an ebay downpipe and its perfectly fine...

Curious to see how the headers are. Subbed.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I have a Mad Dad V2 UEL header and up pipe. It's been a few years, so don't quote me exactly, but IIRC the turbo spooled up maybe 200 rpms later, but approximately 10 more hp and lb-ft of tq was made above 5500 rpms. This was on the stock turbo and I am now running a GT3071. I wish I could see the difference in headers alone on this turbo.

http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/mdv2hdr.htm

What size turbo? Unless your going with a big turbo, I'd stick with the stocker and port it. Stock part is more durable and it's primaries are better suited for smaller turbos.

Its a TD06 housing with a ported/machined compressor cover, 59lb/min, and 8cm housing. It can make around 500whp depending on setup.

What about just upgrading the up-pipe?

Gotta make sure that'll hold up under driving conditions, high heat etc...

Also brand new TOMEI expreme headers are 711 comes with up pipe and heat wrap

Thats what Im wondering. If anyone ran it and if it held up to heat, power, and road/weather conditions.

I have a Mad Dad V2 UEL header and up pipe. It's been a few years, so don't quote me exactly, but IIRC the turbo spooled up maybe 200 rpms later, but approximately 10 more hp and lb-ft of tq was made above 5500 rpms. This was on the stock turbo and I am now running a GT3071. I wish I could see the difference in headers alone on this turbo.

http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/mdv2hdr.htm

I priced out tons of header options. I just dont see spending upwards of $600+ on headers.

Alter3go

That's not that bad it's actually a great deal for a quality product and everything you need is there. If you try it out let us know

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Its a TD06 housing with a ported/machined compressor cover, 59lb/min, and 8cm housing. It can make around 500whp depending on setup.

What about just upgrading the up-pipe?

59 lb wheel? Sounds big with a smaller hot side for spool. What's the turbine like?
It confuses me a bit because it sounds like a 20g but with a larger wheel?
You can port match the header to the uppipe.
I'm just not really a fan of headers until GT30 type territory.
What's the turbo maker suggest and/or your tuner?
I'm leery of too good eBay deals on some parts like exhaust just because they can crack and warp and all sorts of other good things. Hell, even some of the expensive and well known brands will do that.
Usually with the larger tube headers, your looking at moving the power range to the right and sacrificing a bit of low end and spool. More volume less velocity.
I noticed the eBay link says stainless but what grade? That will be a factor in longevity.
What size/thickness of the flanges? That will determine resistance to warping cracking and sealing. Are the flanges machined or ground for flatness?
Do they tig or mig and do they purge with an inert gas when they weld?
Are they jig fitted to reduce fitment issues?

59 lb wheel? Sounds big with a smaller hot side for spool. What's the turbine like?
It confuses me a bit because it sounds like a 20g but with a larger wheel?
You can port match the header to the uppipe.
I'm just not really a fan of headers until GT30 type territory.
What's the turbo maker suggest and/or your tuner?
I'm leery of too good eBay deals on some parts like exhaust just because they can crack and warp and all sorts of other good things. Hell, even some of the expensive and well known brands will do that.
Usually with the larger tube headers, your looking at moving the power range to the right and sacrificing a bit of low end and spool. More volume less velocity.
I noticed the eBay link says stainless but what grade? That will be a factor in longevity.
What size/thickness of the flanges? That will determine resistance to warping cracking and sealing. Are the flanges machined or ground for flatness?
Do they tig or mig and do they purge with an inert gas when they weld?
Are they jig fitted to reduce fitment issues?

I posted a few pics in the turbo thread I made. Its slightly larger than a 20g. To compare, its about the same as an FP green maybe flows a little more.
The turbo maker said I can go larger with the header to help it breathe up top but I will lose low end tq and hp. (as you stated as well).

I was hoping someone ran them before and could post results, good or bad.

Im sure the grade isnt the highest of quality steel. My "stainless" catback has surface rust forming on the hangers and stuff. I know it is TIG welded. Not sure how it is done and what gas they use. I believe the flanges are 3/8" or 1/2". I will have to dig deeper. I think they are machined flanges. The reviews had not indicated ant fitment issues and with the complexity of the bends, it would have to be done in a jig.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I posted a few pics in the turbo thread I made. Its slightly larger than a 20g. To compare, its about the same as an FP green maybe flows a little more.
The turbo maker said I can go larger with the header to help it breathe up top but I will lose low end tq and hp. (as you stated as well).

I was hoping someone ran them before and could post results, good or bad.

Im sure the grade isnt the highest of quality steel. My "stainless" catback has surface rust forming on the hangers and stuff. I know it is TIG welded. Not sure how it is done and what gas they use. I believe the flanges are 3/8" or 1/2". I will have to dig deeper. I think they are machined flanges. The reviews had not indicated ant fitment issues and with the complexity of the bends, it would have to be done in a jig.

With all of that, I'd say just get a good port and gasket match on the stock manifold and up pipe. Maybe even a ceramic coat? This is where I'd go with it. I just would hate to gamble with unproven products on the cheap after all of the hard work only to have issues later when the stocker can perform just as you need it.