Howdy from Texas

Elmo The Great

Howdy. I actually just stumbled upon this forum. Been into cars since not to long ago, basically right after high school I got really into them. Had a slight bit of knowledge during high school, but I held many jobs after that required me to drive most of the day. And the cars you see when going to what would be considered wealthy peoples houses really got me interested.

While I my self don't own a Subaru. My brother has a 2003 WRX right now, and its a great car. At the moment I own a 2011 Hyundai Genesis coupe with the 3.8l. I have done some slight work to it. Exhaust, intake, plastidip, the stuff most people do lol. I re did the badges to get rid of the "H" Hyundai badge, and replaced them with the Genesis coupe wing badges.

When I am done paying this car off I plan on selling it or trading it either for a 2004/2005 Sti, or a EVO X. If all goes well though I could get a brand new STi, the body style has quite grown on me.

I will probably put a picture of my car up on here at some point if people are interested. Don't know if most of you would be interested in a Hyundai xD.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yes yes yes. Welcome to the forum!!! Show us that gensis!!! :D

Did you get the track pack with brembos?!

The 3.8 should be pretty nice. Not sure what the curb weight is on the car, but should still feel good driving.

Whatre your impressions on the gensis' handling?

I would recommend an sti over an evo as they are more reliable. Cant go wrong with the raw feel of the 05, but literally any sti will do. If you can, you should save up for the 15 as they are great cars from what we are seeing and hearing!

:tup:

Elmo The Great

Yes yes yes. Welcome to the forum!!! Show us that gensis!!! :D

Did you get the track pack with brembos?!

The 3.8 should be pretty nice. Not sure what the curb weight is on the car, but should still feel good driving.

Whatre your impressions on the gensis' handling?

I would recommend an sti over an evo as they are more reliable. Cant go wrong with the raw feel of the 05, but literally any sti will do. If you can, you should save up for the 15 as they are great cars from what we are seeing and hearing!

:tup:

I was either going to get the R-spec or the Track trim. Both lean more toward performance. The Track just had the option for nav and other creature comforts, and you could opt for a automatic. I ended up getting the R-spec, which is the most stripped down model. No nav, no cruse control, and no automatic. Its the lightest of the bunch, but its still no feather weight. Curb weight is like 3400ish, its just lighter than a V6 mustang. It honestly feels go to me. And yes, it did come stock with some nice big brembos, and they have a lot of feel in my opinion. With traction control off it feels pretty predictable. I haven't done any thing crazy with it. Just taken it down a few back roads once or twice. I have very little experience with other cars though. So cars that are considered to handle really well, I can't compare it to. Reviews though from websites and people who test cars say it feels really numb, and they say the handling isn't very good. I don't quite feel the same way though. Honestly though, the worst part about the car is the transmission. Its really sloppy, and it feels really cheap. 1st to second is really rough, and its hard to get into it fast. 2nd to 3rd is crunchy a lot of the time. Past that though its all right. The catch point on the clutch too is really high, which I find annoying. Its something I have gotten used to over time though.

The best part is the exhaust I have installed though. I have a video of it that I will post later, but its quite when you are cruising. And when you step on it, about 3000 rpm it starts to get loud, and 5000+ rpm its just screaming. And the intake I have installed gets a good induction noise, but the exhaust interrupts it most the time.

I would like to turbo the car after I am done paying it off, but I feel the Genesis isn't really worth the money to turbo. The transmission is just to bad for my liking to put that much money into it. So I would probably sell it. And the EVO X is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen. And its been a dream car for some time now. I used to hate the 2004/2005 WRX/STi, but the front has just really grown on me. And with the giant wing, every thing looks great. I would have to have one in world rally blue though. Its by far my favorite blue of any car. I would all so settle for just a 2015+ WRX as they become released. All in all, I just really want a mustang killer. The muscle car guys that fit the stereotype just really drive me insane. My buddy being one of them. He has a 2014 5.0 mustang, and basically any thing that isn't a V6+ is trash in his mind. So dusting it has become a goal of mine xD

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Welcome and Enjoy! :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the family. ;)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome review on the genesis! Didnt know those transmissions were sloppy!

I am fond of mustangs, especially 03/04 terminators! :tup:

The problem we, as sti owners, will face when it comes to these newer model cars is the power. With 2015 showing 435 hp and 400tq from factory, we are at quite a challenge. Not only power, but since the 15 stangs got a completely upgraded suspension, it will be tough to keep up on straight aways and on corners. A stock sti is just about 220-240whp and torque is somewhere around that range as well. A 15 gt will have about 390-400 whp and about 370 wtq from factory. Now when it will come to modding both cars, you get a better bang for the buck in the gt as far as power increase goes.

A gt with an intake, no restriction headers back exhaust, and a tune should not cost more than $2500 or so. The gains from that are crazy. Youll be talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 440whp and 450+ wtq. The 11-14s are doing stupid good on the dynos with those bolt ons.

Unfortunately when it comes with modding an sti for around $2500, you will end up at about the 350whp range.

Back in 04 when the sti came out, there was an article on the 04 cobra vs 04 sti. The sti beat the cobra on a circuit track, but as we all could guess, the cobra won the straight away drag.

I really hope they will do a vs video on the 15 sti vs 15 gt as i am very curious how the 15 gt will handle now.

From the few peaks of testing that ive seen in the past months, looks promising.

Back in 03,04,05,06,even up until 10. The sti always had a chance, if not would have the edge over. But now as cars ar getting big power upgrades, they will leave us in the dust since the sti is still on the same engine for the past 11 years. (Fall of 03)

We are also looking at fierce competition for the brz with the unveiling of the 2016 mazda mx5. Neighborhood of 2200 pounds!!! No engine specified just yet but speculation is right around 200hp. A smaller brz that weighs 600 pounds lighter?!

:doh:

Subaru better step up their game for 2016. :(

Elmo The Great

I am quite excited for the new mx5. I think it looks damn sexy. I just hope they manage to bring the price down some. Some where near the BRZ/FRS. 30,000 for a mx5 right now is way over priced for what you get. Especially with how out dated the interior was. I was looking a several cars too when I was shopping around. I have super high hopes for this new one though.

I was looking at S2000s (sort of, not sure why I didn't get one of these),
FRS/BRZ, was just to out of price range at the time.
Focus ST, out of price range
Civic SI, nearly got one of these
WRX, Why you keep your resale value so well? Seriously, a used one that is 2 or 3 years old with 30,000 miles cost all most as much as a brand new one.\
Genesis, Found a huge bargain on several. Such shit resale values. Basically how I could afford mine lol

To me, straight numbers when it comes to power, and getting around a track doesn't really matter to me so much. If it has 250+ HP is would be completely happy with it. I would much rather enjoy driving it, than having a not so good time, and winning. And driving my brother wrx was just a blast. Especially in those old ones, the cabin is so small, you feel like you are going much fast than you actually are. I don't think most people mod mustangs any ways. At least when you look at it in a percentage compared to the WRX/STi. So many people have mustangs, and so many of them are just stock. If I were to loose to a modded mustang, kuddos to them. I am really wanting to beat a basically bone stock 5.0. Thats all I really look forward to. I mean Ford has been doing a great job extracting power from their motors. I remember the slow 200 HP V6s. Ugh... that would be such a drag to drive. And the interiors on those cars would make me want to drill holes in my head.

I want to do more mods on my car, but I all so want to keep the warranty. Not sure what else to do, with out getting rid of the 10 year warranty.

Elmo The Great

My car

I has been in the shop about half the time I have owned it =[. First it was hail damage, then some one rear ended me the day after I got it back. And I am still dealing with issues from that. Still needs some bracing for the bumper that they had left off.

RZr8TLl.jpg

pBqmbL0.jpg

FysAaqr.jpg

UnvxmAE.jpg

CPwMzPR.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Man your car looks great! :tup: show us the interior too!

I didnt know the mx5 was gonna be 30k.... That just ruined everything about it!!! :doh:

Elmo The Great

Man your car looks great! :tup: show us the interior too!

I didnt know the mx5 was gonna be 30k.... That just ruined everything about it!!! :doh:

Will post a interior shot when I get off work

And thats how much you can get one at right now. They haven't released pricing on the new generation car yet. On the mazda website though, the car starts at 24,000. And depending on what trim you take and other stuff, it can get up to 30,000, if not more probably. We will see though.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Raspy!!!! Get a wot vid later if you can!!

Elmo The Great

I will try to think of something. I don't have a go pro or any thing like that. So I can't stick it to the bumper. Would have to do a drive by or something. So I will have to figure out some where easy to do that.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you dont have the means to do it then dont do it. If you find the means to do it, make sure you do it in a safe environment. :tup: