Important: Turbo cars in AZ, NV, and CA compared to the rest of the country

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I was talking with a friend from AZ about turbocharged cars and I raised an interesting question for the both of us:

Are turbocharged cars in AZ, NV, and CA sold off the dealership lot with a DIFFERENT ecu tune compared to the rest of the country?

Since these three states have 91 piss water as the highest octane available, I would imagine their stock tunes differ from Ohio, per se. Does anyone here have any knowledge on this subject? I have never seen or read about this before. The closest thing in regards to this is getting a protune on either 91 alone or 91 + meth as a way to improve performance.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I think I found the answer! :tard:

From the 2015 WRX/STi Manual:

Fuel Requirements

STI - The engine is designed to operate at maximum performance using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of93 AKI (98 RON) or higher.
If 93 AKI (98 RON) fuel is not readily available in your area, unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) may be used with no detriment to engine durability or drivability. However, you may notice a slight decrease in maximum engine performance while using 91 AKI (95 RON) fuel. Use of 91 AKI (95 RON) fuel will not affect your warranty coverage.

Except STI - The engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher.
If 91 AKI (95 RON) fuel is not readily available, unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI (90 RON) may be temporarily used. For optimum engine performance and driveability, it is recommended that you use premium grade unleaded gasoline.

What's more interesting is that you can TECHNICALLY use 87 in the new WRX's!!!!!! What!!!!!!! :fuji: Where the hell is 91 not available?!

jimoblivion

So, with the new WRX it says you can use 87 temporarily. Does that mean if gas prices are higher you can use 87 but you should ultimately be using 91? That's how I'm taking temporarily? If I can't get top performance out of my engine using 87, I wouldn't use it. Maybe commuting back and forth to work until the gas prices go down, but if I'm going out ripping around w/the boys I'd definately want a tank of 91+ in there.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
87 octane the knock would be insane. If you needed gas and nothing else was around you could, but we recommend no boosting on 87 octane.