Increased Oil Consumption

bugeye_fever

Alright, so I've got a bit of an issue, and I could use some help figuring it out. I've noticed lately some oil consumption in the Subie, to the tune of a quart in a couple of weeks, 2 to 3. Haven't had any problems with this before except for in the last oil change. I looked throught the FSM and found that the PCV Valve could be bad, so I replaced it. From that the oil consumption has slowed down to what it is now. I'm starting to worry that turbo is going bad, or there is something internal. I know it leaks a little oil through one of the cam seals, but not that much. Is there a way to tell if the turbo is going bad, like pulling off the down pipe to see if its coated in oil? I'll see if I can get a compression test this week. Weird thing is that it doesn't blow smoke either normally driving or when driving hard. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help I can get on this one.

bugeye_fever

Ok, I'll pull the intercooler off tonight and check. Taking it through down a dirt road makes sence, dust would stick more around the leaks. I do check where I park it and currently the only marks are from a coolant leak that started up yesterday(yay), and a little gear oil that leaks from the front driverside axle seal when the nose is lower than the rear. I'll check the dp and the turbo in the next few days as there is an oil change coming up. Just seems weird to me that it'd start now since it didn't burn a drop for the first 2 oil changes after it was built. Who knows, I'll keep you all updated as I can, thanks for the help so far.

STimedic

If the motor was just built and no other major leaks are present, my money is on the rear main. You could get underneath and remove the clutch inspection cover to look and see if there's an oily residue around the clutch.

bugeye_fever

Lol, its not so much that, it isn't even a cat 3 anymore, its getting the house ready, and finishing my online course work thats due this weekend before I loose power! lol.

bugeye_fever

Yeah. I didn't think cars actually had emotions, but as I was closing the garage door I couldn't help but see a sad look on my baby, watching the Mini all snug in the garage. I'm feeling a ridiculous amount of guilt right now...