Initial Review of RCE Yellow Springs for the 2015 STI

LR257

Initial Review of RCE yellow springs 2015 STI

Please read the full post. I promise its short but it describes what my intentions are with "Rose"...yeah yeah I know its cliche

This is my initial review of the RCE Yellow Springs for the 2015 STI. I?ve been an enthusiasts for years thanks to my older brother and friends (who all drive Subarus now
smile.gif
). Previous car was a 02 GTI 337 edition with stage 2 and stock suspension. Also got the chance to drive my uncles 06 WRX when he was away on the weekends and to say the least, I loved every second of it. It was sad day trading in my limited edition GTI but hell, my dream car was sitting in the back lot waiting for me. This is my daily driver and I commute about 400-500miles/week with equal highway and city driving. My intentions with this car is to keep it a daily driver and to get my feet wet in some autocross and track days. I currently have no interest in going the coilover route, but I?m sure that will change later down the road with more autocross and track time. I decided to take the different route with the car and focused on the suspension first. Why mess with something that?s already so nice from the factory? Because Subaru did leave room for improvements
biggrin.gif

**These springs are designed around the stock shocks and what they can handle**

I repeat?

**These springs are designed around the stock shocks and what they can handle**

SUSPENSION
24mm Rear Sway (set on middle)

RCE Yellows
- ? in drop
-Equal spring rates F&R

Mileage (installed) ? 4730

Mileage (as of 8/12) ? 5000

**New alignment scheduled next week**

Stance
In my opinion, the drop is perfect. I am running 20mm spacers so offset is a +35 on stock tires. I currently have no issues with rubbing. Had a trunk full of groceries and kids in the back and a full tank.Speed bumps and driveways are not an issue and I do have a front lip!!!

The Ride
MD roads are fairly adequate but this past winter definitely made its mark. Highways are ideally pretty smooth with regular road imperfections. The backroads I drive are not as smooth. More bumps and dips and the occasional pot holes that I have to weave around, essentially great for testing suspension

Before: The STI is amazing out of the box. Interior is great, still the worry some EJ motor, but as everyone knows, the handling, suspension are a worlds difference compared to the previous models. The stock ride does understeer quite a bit when you push it to the limit. That being said, I left mine stock before throwing on a rear sway at around 3500 miles. The rear sway made the car very, very neutral. Understeer was not eliminated, but noticeably reduced. My daily commute became that much more fun.

After:
?Holy balls does this thing handle? was my first reaction. After I contained my excitement and stopped giggling like a little school girl, my immediate reaction was how much more compliant the car felt. The car felt more composed over low and high speed bumps. I can guarantee that your significant other will not complain about the ride because it is not too far off from stock. I expected these springs to be fairly stiff on normal driving conditions but that is not the case at all, it is fairly smooth. The car handles the bumps and dips in the roads very well and never feels like it breaking my back? not even close to it. When you get some alone time you?ll most certainly notice the springs. The car is PLANTED. If you think the stock STI is confidence inspiring, an STI with proper springs is 10x as inspiring. I am taking exit ramps about 8-10mph faster than before and tracking out feels ammaazzzinngggg (the car doesn?t push as hard as it did before). I?m trying to keep the miles down on this car but I simply can?t. I get home from work and the second I start to get bored, I hop right back in my car and cruise. Even without and alignment, the car is straight after installing the springs. Front camber is maxed out with the stock bolts but matched on both sides. Now with the rear sway and springs, my car tends to oversteer when pushed at the limit. Let me be clear that you will not be drifting around a turn. It is a light, predictable oversteer that feels GOOD. I personally like the feeling of a car oversteering at the limit vs understeering. Some may not but it?s whatever floats their boat. All that being said, the stock Dunlops are nice, but I think new tires wouldn?t hurt either? some super sports??

Conclusion
As stated above, my goal for this car is for it to be a dependable daily driver with some light autocross and track time to start out. If I had a reliable stage 2 map, I wouldn't change a thing. My car feels simply amazing at its current state and I know after I get an alignment it?ll be that much better. Handling and looks wise it is exactly where I want it to be. The springs are a perfect balance between form and function. Almost no change in ride quality during normal driving but just as soon as I forget what I?m driving, the next corner always reminds me? at times, I still find myself giggling like a little school girl?

No matter what company you choose for springs, make sure you check the rates!!!! Sure it may have the drop you like, but you?ll know why your car handles crappier than before?

15%2BYellow%2BSTI%2Bbefore%2B%26%2Bafter.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thank you for your great review and pictures [MENTION=4005]LR257[/MENTION].

joewrx628

Good review! I have RCE yellows on my 2011 sti sedan and love them as well. Your post is making me really want a rear sway bar.