Machine Shops For Head Work.

I figured this could be a useful thread to start since I'm probably not the only one thats in the predicament of trying to locate a legitimate machine shop that can do Porting and Valve Work with assembly and adjustment of the valve and can assembly.

Lets hear some suggestions of machine shops to do this type of work since many of us don't have local machine shops that can do legitimate Subaru work.

I'm mostly looking for one that can do a legitimate race valve job with the assembly of the heads and adjustment of the cams valve lash.

Some bowl porting would be awesome but not necessary as well since that most likely get costly pretty quickly.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Not sure about what shop to use but think long and hard about what valve guides you request. For a race only application, bronze valve guides are a good choice because they have better heat transfer characteristics and they are lighter, BUT if you are using the car for any kind of daily driver use, then strongly consider steel valve guides. They will be more reliable for daily use. If you use the bronze ones in a daily driven application, expect to replace them after about 20 thousand miles give or take.

Not sure about what shop to use but think long and hard about what valve guides you request. For a race only application, bronze valve guides are a good choice because they have better heat transfer characteristics and they are lighter, BUT if you are using the car for any kind of daily driver use, then strongly consider steel valve guides. They will be more reliable for daily use. If you use the bronze ones in a daily driven application, expect to replace them after about 20 thousand miles give or take.

Thanks for the info i already decided on steel ones since this will be my daily.

TK-421

Hmm, not too sure of things out there, I would see what Lance says at Cobb Surgeline, he pretty much wrote the book on these cars. The only thing I really know about Washington State is weed is legal and my parents used to live there back in the hippie days when St.Helens blew. Oh and I hear that Hondas are pretty big out there.....

Other than that, I haven't a clue about machine shops out west, sorry bud.

But like stated above, sometimes over working a head ie. going full bore race application will be overkill for a daily, keep the machine work to a minimum and closer to factory specs for street use.

Hmm, not too sure of things out there, I would see what Lance says at Cobb Surgeline, he pretty much wrote the book on these cars. The only thing I really know about Washington State is weed is legal and my parents used to live there back in the hippie days when St.Helens blew. Oh and I hear that Hondas are pretty big out there.....

Other than that, I haven't a clue about machine shops out west, sorry bud.

But like stated above, sometimes over working a head ie. going full bore race application will be overkill for a daily, keep the machine work to a minimum and closer to factory specs for street use.

Thats actually not a bad ideal contacting surge line since I have them on my facebook already.

I've asked for a price quote from precision flow performance and outfront motor sports for a valve job and possible bowl blend port job.

Thanks for the suggestion of not going too overboard with the heads its going to be just a simple street car that will be running the stock turbo till I can save up for a good fast spooling turbo that can get me to a fun street reliable 370-400 whp on 92 octane. I'll never be shooting for the 500 and above whp mark.

I'm just looking for anything that can free up the ponies and torque thru out the power band and i figure since I have the heads off i might as well get a good valve job done with some mild port work if I can afford it.

Your welcome bud, just trying to help everyone out, one person at a time

I do appreciate how this forum is full of helpful and good people. Don't worry TK ill be bugging you and holy when I get this thing up and running again since I will be doing road tuning with an open source tune and sure I will have plenty of questions.

I've been watching all of the free youtube videos by FASTuuN and several others. Not to mention I've been looking at rom raiders info for more then a year and am actually excited to attempt this lol

So I'm considering this as a solution to my head issue.

Its $850 for port flow design to do a pocket port and a CNC valve job (radius style) here's a pic of what it would be.

2422a71ac64455dfb6581d124a1ed853.jpg

What do you guys think?

Also any suggestions on good replacement valves would be appreciated since I'm considering doing valves as well.