Manual Boost Controller Install

Z1107

Okay so I started to do the install and pulled up some videos on youtube for the install. Grimmspeed makes a really detailed video but contradicts what my directions say. Its a prosport boost controller. Question 1- the video says to disconnect the vacuum lines from the boost solenoid, but the directions dont. So what is it? Question 2- Should I wait to install when it gets tuned or can I do it now? Question 3- Mark sent me a vacuum line with a pill in it but yet again the directions and the video said nothing about it, is it required for a manual only? Thanks for everything guys.

Vermont

Okay so I started to do the install and pulled up some videos on youtube for the install. Grimmspeed makes a really detailed video but contradicts what my directions say. Its a prosport boost controller. Question 1- the video says to disconnect the vacuum lines from the boost solenoid, but the directions dont. So what is it? Question 2- Should I wait to install when it gets tuned or can I do it now? Question 3- Mark sent me a vacuum line with a pill in it but yet again the directions and the video said nothing about it, is it required for a manual only? Thanks for everything guys.

Before jumping full heads in I would suggest reading this here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3482

T
hat article will explain how the boost control works. Now my big question is I know you have a TD-05(or 06) cant remember. I also know you have an access port. Have you loaded any maps onto the car? If so what is the peak boost the car is supposed to hit? Is it hitting this boost? If not look at the hoses on the turbo to the waste gate. How do they go? Do any of the cobb diagrams fit your picture?

Scott Stokes

If your getting it tuned soon just mount the mbc where you want it and let tuner do it. If your running an ap its not set up for a mbc. But if you really want to know you do not need restrictor pill. And the controller should have something on it letting u know which side goes to compressor nipple and which one goes to wastegate

Z1107

Before jumping full heads in I would suggest reading this here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3482

T
hat article will explain how the boost control works. Now my big question is I know you have a TD-05(or 06) cant remember. I also know you have an access port. Have you loaded any maps onto the car? If so what is the peak boost the car is supposed to hit? Is it hitting this boost? If not look at the hoses on the turbo to the waste gate. How do they go? Do any of the cobb diagrams fit your picture?

Ever since installing the td-05 I havent been able to get higher than 10 lbs of boost. Im waiting to get the money together so the tuner can make the new maps for the car with the parts being installed or have been installed. The tuner is also installing the new injectors Mark so I wont have to go through the headache you went through. In all honesty now that the td-04 is back in working order I almost want to put it back on until Im ready for the tune. So with the AP do I even need the boost controller. By the way why is my car getting so little boost with the new turbo? I think tomorrow im going to reflash the ecu back to factory settings.

Last edited:

Vermont

Quick question is the nipple on the waste gate connected via vacuum tubing straight up to the turbo? If so there is your problem. 10 psi sounds like waste gate spring pressure. If that is the case then you need to connect the prosport between the waste gate and turbo nipple using 2 pieces of regular vacuum hose. Then start from the lowest setting on the pro sport and work your way up in small increments until you mind the right boost pressure. I would say a few PSI under what your tune calls for as max. Wouldn't want to cause problems.

Last edited:

Z1107

Quick question is the nipple on the waste gate connected via vacuum tubing straight up to the turbo? If so there is your problem. 10 psi sounds like waste gate spring pressure. If that is the case then you need to connect the prosport between the waste gate and turbo nipple using 2 pieces of regular vacuum hose. Then start from the lowest setting on the pro sport and work your way up in small increments until you mind the right boost pressure. I would say a few PSI under what your tune calls for as max. Wouldn't want to cause problems.

When you say waste gate you mean actuator right, Im still getting used to the lingo. If so yes it goes from the nipple on the actuator to the nipple on the turbo. Stock PSI setting on the td-04 was 14.7psi the stage 2 setting is 16.8 if im correct, so if I install it between the two nipples put back to 14ish or 12?

Vermont

14 psi SHOULD be fine..... I can't stress this enough.... Data log Data log Data log........ I said you flashed on the right map for your turbo correct? if so then yes you should be fine to run 14 psi. Just make sure that after you do to data log using the access port. Look for any change in the FBKC. Also just kinda a little bit of info for you man. With out anything assisting in keeping the waste gate actuator closed you are then running at wheat ever that spring pressure is. You then add either the manual or an electronic boost control solenoid. Do you have an upgraded fuel pump already? Other wise you might need to use my old pump for those sti injectors. Not sure if the stock wrx pump can flow enough for you. When you go in for your tune you can bring both the pro sport and the sti factory ebcs. Just ask him which he likes to use more. Each tuner works differently.

Edit: also that piece of vacuum hose with a small pill in it. That is for my old factory boost controller. You will need that if you want my old factory ebcs. Is this any help man? Just let me know what else you need man....

Z1107

I went through Cobb's maps offered on their sites, but the ones for my turbo dont match the upgrades I have. Im leary of downloading the map for a td-05 16g if it is also made for STi pinkie fuel injectors, walbro fuel pump, etc. Thats why I was wondering if I install the mbc between the actuator and turbo and shoot for 12 psi is that going to be safe?

EDIT
Heres a better question, if switch back from stage 2 to factory settings on the ecu would that be better for my car?

Last edited:

Vermont

To be honest in your situation I would leave it like it is for now. At 10psi the only problem you are going to have is running rich under boost.... Not too big of an issue. I would wait to install the boost controller at the shop. Hell you can do it 5 min before tune using a multi tool and a few zip ties. Bring both boost controllers man.

Vermont

NOOOOOO....... Keep what you have right now. From what I remember off your journal you had a stage 2+ on your car and right now you have a stage 2 tune on the car. Correct? You haven't had any problems so keep it like it is. Remember don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Z1107

cool ive been on cobb's site for the past 30 minutes checking out the accesstuner software, it says it comes with base maps for mods like mine. could i download that software to my manager and upload a basemap for my mods onto my tuner, or just leave it be.

Scott Stokes

Yes what ever maps Cobb has for your year car u can download to manager. It sounds like you should leave things be untill your at tuner. But if you really want the mbc on just p.m me and I will shoot you my number and we will get that thing installed for you.

Z1107

Im going to hold off, I dont want to damage anything im just getting impatient about getting where I need to be. Tons of low end power but very little top end power. And while im on here Ill ask, Mark sent his STi fuel pump, if I switch out my fuel pumps is it straight plug in play or do I need to repressurize the pump?

Vermont

Straight plug and play, IF they mate up. I am not sure if my pump will drop right in. I am not even sure on the connectors. So the worst that will happen is you will open up the fuel pump area try and install mine and it will not connect.... That is the worst.... Also with a new fuel pump you do not need to worry about re tuning the car. So if you have the time and a little know how. Also a well ventilated are. Then you can drop my old pump right in.

Z1107

Because I dont have a map yet for my turbo, inlet, exhaust, and the car is going to need to be tuned immediately after the new injectors are installed. There are no maps offered by cobb for these parts.