GR Matt's omfgwhydidyougeta2008 STI

arkangyl

It's probably time to get a journal going and start posting rather than just lurking.

My journey had a rather common start, a WRX. Bought it new in 2010, first new car, second car I've owned (first was a 96' Accord V6 I got at an auto-auction as my first car). That car was fantastic and a huge leap from the Accord (duh...). Well, about two years of owning that car and I had come to find the limits of it's abilities. I tossed a Cobb on it with stage one and put a rear-sway on to balance it out, but there was always a great deal of pining...

Really didn't help that after a few rotations at work I landed a permenant job working very closely with the one they call t00mes... STI exposure went through the roof. A few other friends at work rode around in Evos but after a test drive it just didn't feel right.

Sooo.... the search began, was put on hold, then resumed again.

Eventually I went out on a whim and test-drove a 2008 diamond grey STI with just under 60,000 miles on it at Subaru of Nashua. After talking with the salesman for a bit he let me take it out and we went for a rather long drive through some quality backroads. I was a bit skeptical as it had carbon fiber skirts and a Perrin re-circ (clearly modded), oh, and it was an 08, but the price was right. Sold.

8039644487_1457d59a93_b.jpg

It went stage 1 in the dealer parking lot, stage 2 about a month later (Invidia catted DP & Q300), sounded fantastic!

As a start of bad omens for this car, when I changed the brake pads I found that one of my wheel studs was, well, destroyed... The middle bit of the stud was completely mangled and the nut was shredded. Okay... no big deal... just need a new stud, pop the caliper and rotor and the how-to looks easy enough.
Both caliper bolts snapped when I tried to take them off.
Pretty sure I could have done a better job of shocking them and being careful, but those damn things had zero desire to come out. Ended up having to drill both of them out. Aced it with one and just pushed it through, no such luck with the second, just had to drill through it and re-tap. Crappy few days of downtime but oh, well, learning experience.

And then...

A few weeks ago I was driving home through the Mass Pike tunnels under Boston, heard a faint ticking sound, thought it was the modded Evo 8 that had just pulled in front of me. Whatever. I was just cruising home, 65 in 6th, puttering about.

Clack, clack, clack

WTF...

It stopped and then came back, by this point I was at the 128 tolls (for those not around Boston, that was about 6 miles of very tepid driving).

When I slowed for the toss the noise came back, only much worse. Guessed it was the bearing and pretty much knew the motor was shot at this point. It was around one in the morning and my mentality was "eff it, please just get me home before you die". Almost. Died in a parking lot shortly after getting off the pike about 4 miles from home.

Got it towed, pushed it into the garage. Pulled the motor a few days later (when I say pulled, I mean I watched while Steve pulled it... trying to take mental notes of everything).

So now it's time to start re-building. Step 1: start a journal, step 2: fix the car!

*** Log ***
59,810 ... Bought this 2008 STI used
59,810 ... married my Cobb AP in the parking lot at the dealer and went stage 1 :thumbsup:
61,000 ... Invidia catted downpipe installed, Stage 2 flashed, oil change with Amsoil 5W-30
63,000 ... Invidia Q300 installed for full turbo-back
64,500 ... StopTech brake pads installed, brakes bled, broke & re-tapped both rear-driver side caliper bolts
64,700 ... boom goes the motor! :bang:

arkangyl

Might as well post this as an update rather than just in the start...

Steve came over and helped me pull the motor, and when I say "helped" what I really mean is Steve pulled the motor and gave me small tasks I probably couldn't fuck up here and there. I've been taking mental notes on everything and generally just trying to wrap my head around what all is going on. I really can't state enough though how thankful for the help and knowledge.

8039649086_073d64af8b_b.jpg

When we first drained the oil maaaayyyybbeeee a quart came out. Lots of glitter. Yep...

Clutch came off, fuzz stayed! The disc was pretty much down to the rivets. Had Exedy markings on it. Couldn't find the part number online to save my life though.

8039645083_6f7b0a01d4_b.jpg

I've been getting all my parts via Jordan at Defined Performance (FANTASTIC guy to work with!!!), asked him if he could get me a replacement disc to save some money. Whelp, the pressure plate is listed as being for a 04/05 EJ20... Not going back in, that's for sure.

We got the motor pulled apart a few days later. Rod 1 had a very defined clanking when we tapped it. Definitely blew those bearings...

8039645205_a75db94261_b.jpg

And plugged up the oil feed on the crank...

8039649178_f8ea39cc95_b.jpg

And 3 of the 4 pistons had spun rings, this one was the worst...

8039648596_cfe74f9cc5_b.jpg

Oh, and half the valves were leaking....

8039648288_7467ddeb22_b.jpg

Soo... not a whole lot of positives... Case halves look OK and the heads should be able to be cleaned. However they still need to be taken apart and the valves inspected.

Right now I'm looking into getting a stock block to put back in there (just not an 08'...), considering a build but right now I really don't need the additional power, can't afford a bigger turbo on top of all of this, and would rather not have the added downtime.

List of what IS going to be done / parts that have been ordered from Defined:
- FIC 900cc injectors
- DW65c fuel pump
- Perrin air inlet hose
- AEM cold-air intake
- air pump delete
- TGV delete
- ACT 6-puck clutch & StreetLite flywheel
- STI group-N motor mounts
- OEM STI oil pump
- Gates timing belt & water pump kit

Grinder34

Track Monkey
While you have the motor out, why not beef up just a few things. If you think you may want to down the road, you'll kick yourself for not doing it now!

arkangyl

Thanks for the input.

I thought long & hard about building out the blown motor, however I didn't want to half-ass it so the build would cost far more than a new block, and it would cost far more than a new block, and I wouldn't have any money left for a turbo to see any benefit from it. This was I'll have a fresh OEM spec motor to enjoy stage 2 for a while longer AND still have a whole longblock to build out when I'm read :thumbsup:

Oil pickup & baffle actually looked to be in great shape, and from what I've read the GR's aren't as prone to needing the upgrade?

Plus, I would much rather get the suspension upgraded & sorted out before building the block and adding power. In the long run this route might cost a bit more than doing a build up-front, but I think it's the smarter path to take than going for power before doing any suspension or really learning to drive this thing well. Remember: I've only had the STI for a few months so it is still very much past my talent level!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well as long as you've got a plan i dont want to do too much second guessing.

However, the 2008+ oil pickups are the same as the earlier ones. If anything else, replace the oil pickup! I've heard HolyCrapItsFast be down on some of the aftermarket options lately due to design, but the tigwerks one looks rather similar to the OEM design. Anyways, it's an issue worth addressing while its easy!

Last edited:

arkangyl

Yes, but not quite as planned :)

After a few more long talks I think I am going to build the motor, currently being looked at by a machinist to see the overall status (the heads overall are a bit of an unknown, cam, cam journals, and valve seats all had potential issues). Either way, after a few more conversations the new block didn't seem to be the best path so a built motor it is! Just going to be taking my time to make sure it's done right.

arkangyl

Well if you're going to get belligerent about it...

Motor is off at Kaizen Tuning getting fully rebuild, pretty much all the parts have been ordered up from Jordan and are ready to go, build / mods that are going on in this process are::

Shortblock
- bored out to 100mm and re-honed
- 100mm CP pistons (8.2:1 compression)
- Manley H-beam rods (with ARP bolts)
- ARP race bearings
- new Subaru OEM EJ25 crank (assume forged 2012/2013)
- Killer-B oil pickup

Valvetrain
- Multi-angle valve job
- Brian Crower 272 DAVCS cams
- Brian Crower valve springs
- Brian Crower titanium retainers
- replaced 2 broken cam AVCS bolts & broken AVCS oil solenoid (connector corroded off...)

Other Mods
- ACT StreetLite flywheel
- ACT 6-puck clutch kit

- Perrin turbo air inlet
- AEM cold-air intake
- GrimmSpeed boost control solenoid

- Fuel Inject Clinic 900cc injectors
- DeatchWerks DW65c fuel pump

- TGV deletes (DIY), port & polish
- Mainfold lite port & polish
- GrimmSpeed 8mm phelonic spacer
- Air pump delete

- ProSport EVO AFR, Boost, and Oil Pressure gauges

-Swift Spec-R springs (ordered a week before the motor blew up...)

Hoping to have the motor back in a week or two. At this point I'm trying to be realistic and say that if she's running before Thanksgiving I'll be quite happy!

arkangyl

It runssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Took a while to get it started and ran into several small, stupid problems. Biggest of which were a dead battery and a stuck thermostat... Both replaced and she's running much happier.

About 100 miles into break-in and taking it slow & gentle. Plan is 500 break-in miles. No boost to start and lowish revs (4k and under) to start, tapering up as the miles wear on. Then she'll go in for her full tune.

arkangyl

Yessir, I think both literally left both in the engine bay...

~300 miles into break-in now and still looking good, starting to rev out a bit (off boost) and the car desperately wants to be opened up...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm glad i never had to do the break-in on my car. I think i lack the patience/discipline. Kudos to you sir