Need opinions on set of winter tires.

Jakob Hadjinian

Hey guys Im looking for an opinion on a set of winter tires. I am looking at a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3's. Can anyone tell me if they are any good of a tire or if you have used them before and liked them. I appreciate the help.

2015 sti

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We have never used them. Only Blizzak. Sorry. :(

I have run blizzak for two seasons already and they will most likely make it two more without any problem. I actually have a hard time loosing traction with them on. I will definitely repurchase when the time comes.

Boosted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I can't possibly describe in full detail how much I love Blizzaks. There's just too much to like. I'll probably never run another winter tire.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
+1 on the Blizzaks. Have them on my Genesis Coupe, RWD 320wtq, no issues in the snow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Dang! Rear wheel drive.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Would love to see video of that.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
With the winters that you have in Wisconsin, and the rest of the north, some of the worst advice is "it's all wheel drive, all seasons are fine bruh". That kind of shit is all over Facebook. Pay them no attention. Plus, if you won't buy snow tires for your STi, you probably shouldn't own an STi. But seriously...a tire specifically for winter temperatures and snow has a very different rubber compound than all seasons or summer tires <--- which become rocks under 45*F.

Tread design is pretty similar across most brands. The intent is to evacuate snow from the tread as quickly as possible. Blizzaks have silica (basically really fine sand) mixed in with the rubber compound to provide more bite on slippery surfaces. Also, if you look really close, you'll see these fine slices cut into the tread that look like pages in a book. These flex under load and increase the surface area of the tread against the ground.

The rubber itself is super soft; you can easily manipulate it with your thumb. When you find yourself driving on one of those days in the winter where the roads are clear and dry, take it easy on the throttle and the high speed turns. If I'm not careful with my right foot, I'll smoke my Blizzaks. That's expensive, don't do that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I just now realized, this thread was bumped from last year.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I just now realized, this thread was bumped from last year.

We love old threads coming back to life.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Haha Didn't even look at the date, just saw it on the first page of Tapatalk.
No worries.