New Member Texas North Texas

I just purchased a brand new off the show room floor 2013 STi Limited w/Nav in Satin White Pearl on December 1st. It came with the SPT Exhaust and Short Throw Shifter. Had the windows tinted last night. I have always wanted an STi and damn it I got it. Mods I want to do is (and correct me if I am doing things out of order) new intake, downpipe, external waste gate (love the sound), lowering springs/sway bars and tune. Note sure what brands yet so any suggestions are welcome. Cobb Plano is not far from me and I hear that is a great place to go.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh boy. You got bit by the mod bug, lol. First mod is premium member sponsor. :)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome! Start up a member's journal...its a good place for upgrade discussions and plans.

As for your upgrade path, we need to know what you want to do with the car!

But the intake...meh. Buy a new panel filter and save the money...you really dont need an intake on these cars at lower power levels.
Downpipe :tup: You'll need a tune though! (AccessPort or Open Source)
EWG. Meh. Performance wise you're not buying too much. You're really paying for the cool sound I think, at least until you start running more boost and higher power levels.
Sways are a great suspension upgrade.

I don't know how to start the journal I guess I need to see the FAQ. I use it for everyday use. I will be taking it to Motorsports Ranch for track days. My Aunt has a Masserati Gran Turismo MC Stradle and my cousin has a new Caddy CTS-V and I just want to smoke the shit out of the both of them. So I should buy a K&N Panel Filter I assume and also a downpipe from Cobb? And then tune right? Then Springs and Swaybar.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
start a new thread here for a member's journal. Feel free to poke around in other members' journals for some ideas!
http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/forumdisplay.php?23-Member-s-Journal

Anyways, yeah i'd go with a drop-in.

IIRC the Cobb downpipe is not a true 3" downpipe, as it necks down to 2.5" at the end. If you ever up your power levels significantly, you'll want a true full 3" turbo-back and the Cobb will be holding you back.

How much are you looking to spend.

The first few power mods i'd do are:
K&N, Downpipe, Accssport. Then a fuel pump. Basically go "stage 2." Many people are happy at those power levels. You may find some useful stuff in here: http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?4702-Engine-Threads-of-Interest particularly, http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?94-Stage-1-Stage-2-Stage-69-!-Newbie-explanation and http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?3306-So-I-have-a-stage-2-STi.-What-do-I-do-next

First few suspension mods:
Swaybars, endlinks.

If you're going to the track you'll almost certainly NEED different brake pads, and may want to upgrade brake fluid as well.

Do you have much track experience? If not, here's some reading for you:
http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...ing-to-the-track-Here-s-what-you-need-to-know.

Told you Rick, this is a good place to hang out and get outstanding information!!! Listen to Grinder :tard:. I would suggest paying the $45 to get membership I just don't have the money right now (damn holidays) but it is in the budget for Jan 2013 ( I just want a damn sticker to put on the wife's van :tard:) if the world doesn't end before then. Take the time to Lurk around and read, you will learn a lot just form the information posted. Check it out this is my car ( I keep it updated when ever I do something or have a good story to tell)

http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?4770-Will-s-2004-silver-STi

If you start a journal make sure you have pictures to go with it the people here are photo whores and to tell you the truth I want to see more pics then just the ones you posted on Face Book.

Just wanted to add this from face book by all means let me know if it is bad info.

No bug man. Saw you where on IGOTASTi left you a message check out my car when you get a chance left you a link in my post. You can do the drop in airfilter like Grinder said but I just like the look of the short ram intake (to each his own).
Down pipe will require a tune. Plan on 500 for a Cobb AP if you wait to install the intake of your choice, the down pipe and Cobb you can go stage 1.95874 ( I dont trust cobb ots maps). Good thing for you though is you work right next to Cobb Plano so that is an option. As for the BOV sound you might do more hurt then good, these cars are made to run 100% recirculation but you can see what the gurus have to say about it. remember dont hack and slash shit so you can change stuff out for warranty work. Im going to repost this on IGOTASTi so they can add their years of information to this too.

Last edited:
Thanks Septic for telling me about this. Love the site already. I will most definitely get a membership. Just need to decide which level. I know I know go big or go home.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Go big. Unlocks the whole site. :)

DannyD

Welcome! What part of North Texas? Im from the Lake Texoma area, well my wife is but we are down there alot visiting the in-laws.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Welcome in and glad to have you with us! please feel free to ask if you have any questions at all! I was like you, started out saying, just this, and just that.. now it's all this, and need more of that with my 2011! heh

I live in Rowlett and I work in Allen right off 75. I would love to meet up with other STi owners. I would like to see what others have done and ask questions with the car sitting there. I have only had the car a little over a month now and I love it. I have put Cobb's Cold air intake on and a stage 1 tune. I am really fighting not going to stage 2. I am worried about voiding warranty but dont know if I even should be. I mean what could go wrong? I will be taking her to the track at Motorsport Rance at the end of February with the Apex school and I keep thinking it would be nice with MORE POWER ( Evil Laugh Here).

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I live in Rowlett and I work in Allen right off 75. I would love to meet up with other STi owners. I would like to see what others have done and ask questions with the car sitting there. I have only had the car a little over a month now and I love it. I have put Cobb's Cold air intake on and a stage 1 tune. I am really fighting not going to stage 2. I am worried about voiding warranty but dont know if I even should be. I mean what could go wrong? I will be taking her to the track at Motorsport Rance at the end of February with the Apex school and I keep thinking it would be nice with MORE POWER ( Evil Laugh Here).

I would love to meet up but your a little too far south for me.
Since your so close to Plano, go to Cobb and get a stage two protune. Just skip the OTS maps, you won't regret it.
You already have voided the warranty, per se. Some stealerships are anal about aftermarket parts and some or not so. I have even heard of some dealers honoring warranty claims when Cobb products are utilized. Cobb has a very good rep and this rep is even recognized with dealerships.

Keep this in mind: Your warranty is not entirely voided because you swapped a part. Meaning, because you put on a CAI, your brakes are still covered. Or, because you added a catback, your electrical system is still covered. Some dealers will try to void the entire warranty because of an alteration somewhere else. The truth is that only the altered or replaced part and the fault it directly caused, is voided by the warranty. Keep this bit of info in the front of your memory box.
Should you be worried about anything going wrong? Not so much but be advised that anything can go wrong. After all, this is a mechanical device and mechanical items fail. I have had no issues with my car during the warranty period and have been swapping parts since the beginning. Now that it's out of warranty, I still have yet to see a failure on something that is factory applied. Keep it in your head that something could go wrong but it doesn't mean with 100% certainty it will.

Tracking the car will most certainly void the warranty if it is ever discovered that a part failed while on the track, or even after the track. Many insurance companies will not cover damage or loss if the accidents happen on a race track.

More power on the track is not necessarily needed or even a good thing. Being a good driver is. Slower cars can lap faster cars because of good drivers. I have seen many a Miata lap Vettes and Porsches, etc. etc, just based on the Miata drivers ability to drive better and take the proper lines. Whereas the Vette and Porsche owners thinking they can drive and then utilizing, or trying to, utilize the power to make up for lost time or lost place. In fact, in my experience, it is the guys within the big power group that are the least capable and the guys running lower power the most. Why? because the little guys are forced to look at one angle only, driving skill. The big power group tend to have guys that are overzealous and out to "out gas" the competition basing their racing experience majority on the the power their car has.
Your race school instructor will most likely point this out early on in the class. My best advice is to pay close attention, forget everything you think you know, and let them remold you into a better driver. If the instructor is competent and you listen and learn well, you will be smiling when your lowly little import is lapping big power cars. My local track, Hallett, has a story on their webpage regarding just this scenario, a 16 yr old girl who flew in and then rented a cavalier or cobalt, (something cheap and economy) went through the classes and then out lapped and out drove the old men running big power and money cars.

Cheers

I did just that with a Miata the last time I went. I had a Truck at the time so I rented one and I lapped everyone. The instructor said that I he is suggesting that I move up to the next level and get a faster car. So I now have the faster car I need and going back. I dont have the downpipe yet on the cold air intake, accessport and SPT catback exhaust. Dont I need that downpipe before I go stage 2?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I did just that with a Miata the last time I went. I had a Truck at the time so I rented one and I lapped everyone. The instructor said that I he is suggesting that I move up to the next level and get a faster car. So I now have the faster car I need and going back. I dont have the downpipe yet on the cold air intake, accessport and SPT catback exhaust. Dont I need that downpipe before I go stage 2?

LOL. I picked a good example.

Yes. Downpipe is stage 2. If you already have the itch, just do the stage two with protune. OTS is nowhere near protune.

Either go to Cobb and get this done or since your a paying member, HolyCrapItsFast can get you a tune for free.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome! Post some pictures of the ride! :tup: